A question about 5K races

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anybody's done a 5K race. If you did, did you have fun? What was it like? I'm trying to decide if I should do one.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have not run that far, all at once, in years. Haven't had anyone chase me. But, when I was a much younger man, I did run cross country. Most cross country courses are about that 5k distance. As a race, it is not something you can just go and 'do'. You really need to train for it.

As a 'fun' activity, you can certainly just pick it up. Get a group of friends, dress up in funny costumes and walk/jog/walk while singing nursery rhymes. A healthy adult should be able to walk 5 kilometers in about an hour.

If commit to training for the run, you should be able to complete a 5K in about 20 minutes. But, I would expect you need at least a month's worth of training ~ better to have six weeks.

Start with a good pair of running shoes.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
5K is about 3 miles as I adjust it to an Imperial measurement that I can visualise :D.

Running that far will take a bit of preperation, depending on how much you run already. I used to run a couple of miles each morning and a mile at night, with the occaisional longer excursion over rough ground to really work the body.

The thing to look to train through is the 'wall's' that happen as your body passes through various cycles of oxygen exchange, muscle fatigue poisons and sugar depletion. Finding your rhythm and pace is the most important way of dealing with those and three miles is short enough that probably finding the pace that allows your breathing to keep up with your oxygen use will be enough.

I'm sure tho' that our military bretheren here at MT will be able to give you much detailed advice on this.

Best of luck.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A 5k is very doable, without dramatic training. As Sukerkin notes, it's "only" about 3 miles. That's something you can run daily, unlike a marathon. Some 5Ks are actually run with more of a "fun" emphasis, too.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
A 5K is a fun run. It's not so far as to require a lot of training, so you get a really good turnout. The 5Ks I've done have been pretty social affairs. The early stage of the run is pretty cool because everyone is running together and our footsteps sound like popcorn.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally haven't run a 5K myself, but my wife runs them a lot. She has a ball! The first one was a bit of a trial for her because she had just started running, but now she loves doing them. She has done 5K's, 10K's and really wants to do a 1/2 marathon next summer. Her goal is to do a couple of marathons a year. I told her I would drive real slow next to her to keep her company, she failed to see the humor in that :idunno:.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anybody's done a 5K race. If you did, did you have fun? What was it like? I'm trying to decide if I should do one.
I know a few ladies who recently walked a local 5K for breast cancer research. They're all really out of shape, too. Were just a little sore the next day but otherwise fine. So if you're doing a benefit, don't kill yourself. If you're using it as a training tool and don't have great cardio fitness, you might consider a run/walk interval approach. A friend of mine did that - it was the only way she made it through the Portland Marathon. Still a great workout, a good graduation in training for those of us with lung problems and bad joints. ;)

Hey, if you have access to a personal trainer, get a free consult and ask them about your fitness level and what it takes to do it. They can personalize their recommendations for you specifically.

Good luck!

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As everyone has said, it's a 3.2 mile run. Military for some reason loves to hold 5k fun runs on all the holidays. Haven't done one in a while, but as for me, a 22yr old male, hehe, I don't really have to train, for one. But once again, as others have said, a good month is plenty of time to train for a 5k and you only need to run about 3 times a week. One day a 1.5 mile run and then the next a 2 and then 3 or change it up to whatever works for you. For me, it's all in my mood. Somedays I can go run for what seems like forever and somedays I struggle with a 1.5 mile run. Best of Luck to ya!!

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely run a 5K. They are great fun, some are quite large. Most only cost 15-25 dollars for registration and benefit a variety of causes. Run at your own pace and challenge yourself to do better each one you do. Winners usually finish between 15 and 20 minutes, but people take up to an hour depending on experience, age, fitness level etc. All you need to get started is a good pair of shoes. Get online and find the choice spots to run by you or go to the local shop that caters to runners (Most areas will have one or two.) Maybe get hooked up with a running group. You can run inside on a treadmill if you have to, but outside (for me) is usually preferable. I've run races and just trained in the snow when I lived up north and in hot temps now that I'm in the south. You can do it anywhere under most conditions, just dress right, hydrate adequately and take it easy at first until you get a feel for it. And mostly, enjoy!

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've worked up from barely being able to run a full mile to doing a half-marathon just in the past few years, so it is definitely do-able. I wasn't even training that hard or regularly.

A few tips though: listen to your body, especially in the beginning. I pushed too hard in the beginning and hurt my knees - kept me at a walk for 2 weeks. Also get a good pair of running shoes if you will do this regularly. Bad shoes will beat down your body in no time. Go to a specialty running store though, they are knowledgable, have a great selection, and will help you fit and try out the right shoe. Your local Foot Locker is almost useless in this regard. Lastly, take it slow and have fun!

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I say go for it. The last race I was in was a 5 miler 27 yrs ago and it was a blast. The energy at the start was pretty cool and it kind of pulls you along at the beginning. If you have any friends that run see if someone will do it with you. Just run at your pace and enjoy it.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've worked up from barely being able to run a full mile to doing a half-marathon just in the past few years, so it is definitely do-able. I wasn't even training that hard or regularly.

A few tips though: listen to your body, especially in the beginning. I pushed too hard in the beginning and hurt my knees - kept me at a walk for 2 weeks. Also get a good pair of running shoes if you will do this regularly. Bad shoes will beat down your body in no time. Go to a specialty running store though, they are knowledgable, have a great selection, and will help you fit and try out the right shoe. Your local Foot Locker is almost useless in this regard. Lastly, take it slow and have fun!

This is huge....I am not the greatest runner, but I've definately improved a lot and I can tell you that the shoes make a huge difference. When I switched from cross training shoes to running shoes, it knocked 30 seconds off my time.

5ks are fun, and relatively easy to train for. Honestly, if you have a decent running base, you can pull off a 5k with little preparation. Just remember that if its your first one, just run it at your own pace, don't worry about your time.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Get a good pair of running shoes, no matter what, if you're even going to try one 5K. It's too easy to hurt your feet, and from the feet, it just runs up the chain to your back... Bad shoes will make you miserable, needlessly. Worst case scenario... you can always where the shoes for other activities.

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've decided I AM going to do one. It's just not going to be this semester- I'm too busy studying to get off academic probation.

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good for you! It's good to see you have your priorities straight. There are a lot of distractions at school and its easy to get sidetracked. However, keep up your running it is a great way to clear your head during marathon study sessions. My last semester was very intense and at one point I stayed up for 4 days straight doing term papers(thank God for Jolt cola). I was so confused at the end I handed in the papers to the wrong professors(had to talk my way out of that one). Let us know when you do your first 5k.

Scott

PS. If your too young to remember Jolt it tasted like crap but had HUGE amounts of caffiene, kind of like the new "energy" drinks.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good for you! It's good to see you have your priorities straight. There are a lot of distractions at school and its easy to get sidetracked. However, keep up your running it is a great way to clear your head during marathon study sessions. My last semester was very intense and at one point I stayed up for 4 days straight doing term papers(thank God for Jolt cola). I was so confused at the end I handed in the papers to the wrong professors(had to talk my way out of that one). Let us know when you do your first 5k.

Scott

PS. If your too young to remember Jolt it tasted like crap but had HUGE amounts of caffiene, kind of like the new "energy" drinks.
Let me float a different idea...

The time it takes to train for a 5K is no more than an hour several days a week. (That's including some stretching and cooldown.)

The exercise serves as a great recharge/refresh break in your studies. You'll do better in school simply being in better shape. It can refresh you and wake you up before an evening class, or for that dreaded 7:30 AM class.

Latest Discussions