a new way of seen TKD

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
This weekend I went to a local tournament as a referee, this is the second one since my comeback to TKD, even the tournament was a local one many fighters came from all the state and the matches were pretty good. My test of fire was to be center referee for the black belt finals, the fighters were all very good and fierce, Afther the tournament my sambonim aproached me and grabed my arm and took me apart from the people and with a big smile told me.... Mr.Manny you were the best judge of the tournament that's what people are saying, I am very proud of you and I think this is your place inside TKD, we need to work very hard and improve your skills but the temper, the desicion,the handling you use in the matt as a referee is correct.

I have some work to do in the following months, I want to take some poomsae seminars and kyorugi seminars and.... prepare my second dan black belt test.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's great Manny. Looks like you have found a new path to take. Believe it or not there is form and precision in being a ref. I did not know that until I took some course. You are also being graded at every event, well USAT event at least. Most people, even me at one time, just think the refs are there and they break up the clinches and give the warning. Yes this is true but it is how they do it that got me. Right foot in to break. Left foot forward front stance then back into a cat stance to start a match. Not to mention all the hand techniques. And they have people watch to see if you are doing them all correctly. Great stuff. I hope you enjoy it and do well.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
manny,

remember the key to ref-ing is:

keep the fighter safe.... if you are center, this is your #1 goal
call it like YOU see it..... if you are corner, call what you see, not what you think,assume, or others tell you.

remember.... ring management is the key. depending on what part you are playing when you are ref-ing (center, corner, time, computer....) take ownership and dont be influenced by the screaming parents/kids/fighters... or coach, no matter what the rank. you and the other refs in your ring are a team, work together and support each other and you will have a smoothly run ring.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
manny,

remember the key to ref-ing is:

keep the fighter safe.... if you are center, this is your #1 goal
call it like YOU see it..... if you are corner, call what you see, not what you think,assume, or others tell you.

remember.... ring management is the key. depending on what part you are playing when you are ref-ing (center, corner, time, computer....) take ownership and dont be influenced by the screaming parents/kids/fighters... or coach, no matter what the rank. you and the other refs in your ring are a team, work together and support each other and you will have a smoothly run ring.

The big thing to do is to close ears to the crowd behind you yelling improper words and manage not only the competitor but his coach, I know that been a center referee will be loved for 50% of people and hated for the other 50% and have to learn to not worry about this.

Manny

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've been learning about refereeing myself. It's not a job many would want, but it's something I've always been interested in. Glad it went well for you. :)

Latest Discussions