A lesson in not giving up...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...13/naia-faulkner-eagles-old-kicker/50396152/1

61-year-old placekicker scores for NAIA school

MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Alan Moore swears he's not crazy.
Still, there is evidence to the contrary — most of which centers on his decision at 61 to attempt to play college football.

The rest centers on the fact he's doing it.

Moore, a Vietnam veteran who played on a national title junior college team in 1968, is the newest/oldest member of the Faulkner (Ala.) football team, earning a spot with the NAIA Eagles as a placekicker.

"It's not about me, and it's not about being old. It's about the team," Moore said before hugging his grandkids at midfield after the 41-19 victory.

Moore said he never had regrets about not getting a degree and never secretly longed to kick a college extra point or field goal one last time.

However, Moore had a nagging feeling that he walked away from something he needed to finish.

"I can't really explain it right, but it's never been a life-long dream to be a kicker," he said. "That's not what this is about. What I told these coaches and the people here at Faulkner was I wanted to be an example to these kids of how important it is to follow things through, to not give up and never quit. That's why I think I want to do this."

Four decades before he showed up at Faulkner, Moore was a pretty good kicker in his hometown of Taylorsville, Miss. So good, in fact, he earned a scholarship to Jones County (Miss.) Junior College and was a member of its 1968 national title team.

But there was another calling.

In summer 1969, Moore decided to join the Army. A month later, he was in Vietnam.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...vet-makes-the-cut-as-a-small?urn=ncaaf-wp5703

$9953143-large.jpg

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good for him. Ive often dreamed of doing that myself. Playing ball was one of the highlights of my life. I always wondered if I would have been good enough to play college ball. I think I was much better in my memory then in reality but I was a freshman starter on the Varsity team. Everytime I hear that "boys of Fall" song by kenny Chesney I get a big goofy smile on my face
This is the family star now
299702_276081602405139_100000099036046_1133117_1149399156_n.jpg

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Holy cow, what an awesome story!

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nice to see the seasond folks still have it.
And ballen.... nice lookin kid.. Cant see the number on the jersey, I'm guessing running back or linebacker.. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice to see the seasond folks still have it.
And ballen.... nice lookin kid.. Cant see the number on the jersey, I'm guessing running back or linebacker.. :)

He playes Linebacker and Offensive Left tackle. Hes kinda slow right now for running back. He just turned 5 and is the only 5 year old on his team the rest are 6 and 7 year olds and he starts both positions. Can you tell daddys a little proud LOL. Trick now is not to let him burn out. He wants to practice everyday all day we have to hold him back. He wants to start Karate now but we cant find a school that will take a 5 year old around here.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great story, Bill. I do think kids now-a-days need a Role model, as much as ever. I do hope though, that he stays intact and not hurt himself too much.............

Latest Discussions