A "Gun Martial Art"?

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Check this out:

http://www.policeone.com/training/a...sive-Hojutsu-Ryu-the-martial-art-of-shooting/

...This quest has resulted in induction into the U.S. Martial Arts and Universal Martial Arts Halls of Fame, promotion to tenth dan and grandmaster, and being named “soke,” or founder, of the art. What this means to those of you with no traditional background is that sober, life-long grandmasters agree that shooting is a martial art, and have “blessed” it, and made it legitimate in the martial arts world. As this is written, Hojutsu-Ryu is the only formally recognized shooting art in the world....

Opinions? Ive always thought that firearms as "martial art" had some merit, but Im "on the fence" about this type of approach. Soke boards, 10th dan, retooling classic MA to carve out a niche...

Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awwww...c'mon....

How is he going to be able to command $350 per head for 3 days of teaching if he's not a 10th degree grandmaster that goes by "Soke"? ;)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If you want to call "tap, rack, assess" a kata, well, sure be my guest. As long as he recognizes that "recognized" or not by a "soke board" there are obviously a hell of alot of other "gun martial arts" out there.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go out and rent the movie "Equillibrium" with Christian Bale. Everytime I see this topic I think of that movie.

In the movie they are trained in a "gun martial art" that does have katas where you move around and shoot your opponents. It's fantasy, but it was a neat idea on how it was shown.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
This one is actually founded by a Cop and that link is from a reputable LE website. I just hope that even if the whole martial arts approach is a bit goofy, that the stuff he teaches is legit.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know there are grappling/takedown systems out there designed for cops with a gun in the holster, and would like to keep said gun in the holster when confronting a resisting opponent.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its more than that, belts are based on weapon proficiency as well as other skills.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Its more than that, belts are based on weapon proficiency as well as other skills.

I have no problem with the training, I just find it odd to add Japanese trappings (belt, gi, and apparently titles) to an art with decidedly western roots. Its like having a belt system for driving. "OK put this white belt on, now to get your learner's permit you need to pass this written test, to get your purple belt you must get your driver's license, and to get your black belt you need to win two dirt track open class races."

Whatever floats your boat, I just don't get why people would seek out such trappings.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no problem with the training, I just find it odd to add Japanese trappings (belt, gi, and apparently titles) to an art with decidedly western roots. Its like having a belt system for driving. "OK put this white belt on, now to get your learner's permit you need to pass this written test, to get your purple belt you must get your driver's license, and to get your black belt you need to win two dirt track open class races."

Whatever floats your boat, I just don't get why people would seek out such trappings.

Thats about where I am too. I think it has more to do with the ego behind the pecking order and the prestige of being a "top dog" than anything else.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

"Hojutsu" (literally, fire art) is an actual Japanese term for "gun arts," and part of a few koryu.

See here.

Of course, just 'cause there's one thing, doesn't mean this isn't another....

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
"Hojutsu" (literally, fire art) is an actual Japanese term for "gun arts," and part of a few koryu.

See here.

Of course, just 'cause there's one thing, doesn't mean this isn't another....

I understand the origin of the term, but a koryu art on the use of matchlocks isn't exactly the same as clearing a jam in an AR.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm unimpressed.

If you want to learn "the way of the gun," there are plenty of top-notch instructors out there who teach solid, relevant material without the need to "trademark" stuff or make themselves "grandmasters."

to each their own I guess...

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can see the value of trying to bring all the elements (weaponcraft, disarms, tactics etc) "under one roof" so to speak. But I guess I have to say I'm somewhat skeptical too.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't know, it's cool i guess. but i think i'd rather be an IDPA champion or something than a black belt in hojutsu. i'm always glad to see traditional arts preserved, though.

jf

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it's necessary to incorporate both of them into a single entity myself. You can do both and you already have it, to name it a martial art is just not necessary in my view.

I agree with KenpoTex on this one.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Check this out:

http://www.policeone.com/training/a...sive-Hojutsu-Ryu-the-martial-art-of-shooting/

Opinions? Ive always thought that firearms as "martial art" had some merit, but Im "on the fence" about this type of approach. Soke boards, 10th dan, retooling classic MA to carve out a niche...

What would be the study of firearms and their use if NOT a martial art?

I don't mean offense, but your question is based on the faulty premise that in order to be a 'Martial Art', something must come from Japan, China or Korea, and involve bowing and wearing a silly looking outfit......in other words TMA's.

Martial Art is LITERALLY the study of individual conflict. Any system that is designed to teach an aspect of physical combat is a 'martial art' from shooting, to boxing, to karate.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm unimpressed.

If you want to learn "the way of the gun," there are plenty of top-notch instructors out there who teach solid, relevant material without the need to "trademark" stuff or make themselves "grandmasters."

to each their own I guess...
Quite right!

The basis of all martial arts, before TMA's formalized them in to rituals, was the training of effective martial action......there's no need for that in the gun. Train effectively, and don't worry about the bowing, the belts and the grand masters.

Latest Discussions