A Discussion on Fear

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what some of your thoughts were regarding this subject. There was a discussion about this within my club in terms of being able to rid ourselves of (or in other words overcome) fear using our MA training.

It seems to be a stigma that comes with any kind of sport or martial art related activity. That you are to be fearless.

Thoughts?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Fearless... doubtful

Controlling your fear is more like it, not letting it interfere or stop you, or using it if necessary.

I have never been in a sport smatch but most unfortunately there were times I have had to use this and I was scared before and after, just not during. No time to be and the training takes over. And there are times fear gives you that something extra.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what some of your thoughts were regarding this subject. There was a discussion about this within my club in terms of being able to rid ourselves of (or in other words overcome) fear using our MA training.

It seems to be a stigma that comes with any kind of sport or martial art related activity. That you are to be fearless.

Thoughts?

From survival point of view being fearless could be considered "The Way of The Lemming"
Fear is a survival tool. You use it or it uses you. If you use it will help keep you alive.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not believe being feerless is the correct phase at least for me, being aware of your surroundings and understanding how to control ones emotion, is a way of making most believe you are feerless.

Every single person needs fear in there life without it no single person can be whole without it one can not become whole in the sense of understanding the mind and body.

Just my nickel

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting topic.
Fear is a feeling state. Depending on the circumstances, it may dissipate naturally or you will have to overcome it. The way to overcome fear is to problem solve. If you have a conscious knowledge that you can deal with the situation, the fear will naturally dissipate. That being said, it is much easier said than done, especially in a self defence situation.
An interesting side note is that you can strengthen your ability to problem solve yourself out of fear by meditating. I would have to find the source, but there was a study done where brain scans were done on Tibetan monks who meditated for four hours or more each day. The scan showed that the part of the brain that works on problem solving and reaction to emotion is MUCH more active in the brains of the monks vs. your average person.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe fear is an important tool, especially in a self-defense situation. If something is making you feel fearful (or even just uneasy) it is best to listen to that feeling and get out. To think "I have to be fearless" and not worry about that creepy guy checking you out is not good self-defense in and of its self. But, I do believe once you are actually IN a physical altercation, the better training you have had on how to just get the job done (so to speak) the better off you will be. It is at that point that I would say you need to be fearless. And hopefully by training hard every day you will be able to react in a quick and efficient manner (that is my hope anyway).

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Training can't really get rid of fear. And who would want to anyway? Fear keeps us from doing stupid things or going into dangerous places. The real problem is when we are scared we tend to panic and that is the true enemy.

What have found with many people who learn to protect themselves is that their confidence increases, and increased confidence dulls down the panic that so often accompanies fear. Reducing panic allows one to think better and thus react more effectively.

It is unfortunate that the term fearless gets used by, and applied to, so many martial artists. In my opinion a fearless person is dangerous as they don't know when to just stop and say, "I'm not doing THAT!"

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I realize that my fears are of things that I don't have control over. My biggest fear is of something bad happening to my wife and kids and all my Martial Arts training will never rid me of that fear. I think I'm stuckwith it,lol.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think you can train the fear out of yourself. What you do train is the muscle memory to have a better reaction (fight or flight as opposed to being scared stiff) to whatever is inducing the fear and ultimately enhance the chances of self-preservation.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nobody is fearless, it's more a matter of controlling your fear than eliminating it.

I believe that fear is important for survival, what helps you control it is understanding what you're feeling and that it's natural, accepting it, and moving past it.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Fearlessness" is not one of our virtues, rather "Courage" is.

Courage does not mean the absence of fear, it means acting in the face of fear, being afraid and doing it anyway.

Working through fear and with fear is important because it is an important tool; it's the hair on the back of your neck, a warning siren. That feeling that something just isn't right.

I don't want to be fearless, I like having that in my tool box ... key is to not allow it to control you.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Fearlessness" is not one of our virtues, rather "Courage" is.

Courage does not mean the absence of fear, it means acting in the face of fear, being afraid and doing it anyway.

Working through fear and with fear is important because it is an important tool; it's the hair on the back of your neck, a warning siren. That feeling that something just isn't right.

I don't want to be fearless, I like having that in my tool box ... key is to not allow it to control you.

Nicely said.

OP
funnytiger

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree completely with a lot of what has been said here so far. Great minds...

In the midst of the conversation these quotes came up. How do they address the issue of fear?

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

"There would be no one to frighten you if you refused to be afraid."
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

"Fear always springs from ignorance."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Frank Herbert, Dune, "Litany Against Fear", 1965

None of these people were martial artists (as far as I know) but their words were added to the conversation as some sort of a way of supporting the argument that one should be "without fear".

Also, can you be without fear and still have a sense of (recognize) danger?

- ft

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fear is not the thing that you need to control. It is essential to prepping your body for what lay ahead. The part that is in need of control is the fight or flight adrenalin rush that you get. If you can control how your body reacts to the adrenaline you will have success in "controlling" fear. My $0.02 worth.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fear is your body's reaction to danger, and should be heeded; nonetheless, you cannot let fear so control your reactions that you become phobic.

Courage is not the lack of fear but the ability to face it.
---- Lt. John B. Putnam Jr. (1921-1944)

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
--- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thoughts?

I know some others have replied and I might make similiar points, but these will be my words and points of view.

Fear is Good. Without Fear, people are oblivious will not pay attention and then become victims. Paranoia is bad as it will lead to one being burned out and not being able to enjoy life. The level of fear should be at or around "concern" meaning you are aware and being concerned about your survival.

Dealing with the Adrenalin shock is also important. It is good to understand this and the body reactions it causes. It is also good to learn to control these reactions. It is not good to become an adict to adrenalin.

Fear is also respect. The respect that the 87 year old man walking down the street might know something. Then again he might not. You respect the possibility. It is also similiar with those who posture, if respect is shown without visable fear then it leads in one direction. If fear is shown or seen it leads into another direction.

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Fear is not the thing that you need to control. It is essential to prepping your body for what lay ahead. The part that is in need of control is the fight or flight adrenalin rush that you get. If you can control how your body reacts to the adrenaline you will have success in "controlling" fear. My $0.02 worth.

Most people seem to be in agreement about 'controlling their fear'... But I've had cases (2 cases I recall) where I've frozen and my mind has basically gone blank, which I would credit to an adrenaline rush like searcher described. But other times I've been just fine. So how exactly do you control the adrenaline rush coupled with the fear?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Facing unkowns will always cause fear...a natural human reaction to prepare the body to fight or flee. (short cut explantion)

Psychologist point of NO fear/fearless...is insane person or not of right mind.

Learning to control fear is not an easy thing to learn...because you will need to be in those fear situtions to learn how to control it. (one way)

The book "GIFT of FEAR" is a good read. In rape situtions(fear situtuons)...ALWAYS FIGHT BACK!!!! ...there maybe NO tomorrow for you...

Trust your instincts on what to do when in (fear) situtions.

Butterflies in the stomach is also a good indictor of some fear....like be ask to be a speaker in front of lots of people. (giving a speech).

Confidence helps control the fear factors.....Killer instinst do this too!

...just my opinion here.......Aloha

PS: Fear - swimming in the ocean.. a big fins pops out of nowhere...heading towards you....its jaws looks big....grap the toy shark and continune to play....aaaaaah

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most people seem to be in agreement about 'controlling their fear'... But I've had cases (2 cases I recall) where I've frozen and my mind has basically gone blank, which I would credit to an adrenaline rush like searcher described. But other times I've been just fine. So how exactly do you control the adrenaline rush coupled with the fear?

I don't think that the surge of adrenaline can actually be controlled.

On the other hand I think that the negative effects, (panic, freezing, mind blank) can be reduced through training to create reactions that are almost automatic. A realisation of your own abilities can help as well. Knowing what you can and cannot do can lead you to stand or run as the situation dictates.

OP
funnytiger

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In some of the things that I read regarding fear there was a lot of talk about "healthy" fear and "unhealthy" fear which some of you mentioned. "Healthy" fear was described as being a completely natural emotion that helps you recognize and respond to dangerous situations and threats. "Unhealthy" fear was described as being paranoid, and overly cautious. Where fear has become an insurmountable obstacle.

Healthy fear keeps you alive and well, alert and energized. Unhealthy fear can cause paralysis and suffering...
One of the arguments for someone striving to become fearless was the theory that you can not be a successful fighter if you allow fear (or any emotion) to surface. But you must have a clear mind in order to fight intelligently.

I think it is easy to say you should fight in this manner within a controlled environment (ie sparring) and that this mindset, although noble, isn't suited for self-defense situations. I feel like you would be relying on those very emotions (controlling them) to battle your way to victory.

- ft

Latest Discussions