A bit of instruction by WSL

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Classic WSL video, with Philip Ng doing the translation. There are many WSLVT core principals being explored here.

Reactions: KPM

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is he doing a Tan Da at 11:15?

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
And again at 12:18
In both instances he is saying to intercept the attack arm as you counter attack by going forward. The attack arm is not on the center so would that be an instance of arm chasing as describe by some?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
In both instances he is saying to intercept the attack arm as you counter attack by going forward. The attack arm is not on the center so would that be an instance of arm chasing as describe by some?

Yeah, it seems a bit "indirect" to me. ;):rolleyes:

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Tan Sau is part of the system. I see this section of the video as more of an overall explanation, or general instruction. As we all know, it's sometimes easier to explain basic principals with an obvious scenario and willing partner.

If the heat were on, WSL would have most likely used a more direct application and would not have bothered with the Tan. But again, when teaching and showing examples, sometimes the situation just isn't perfect.

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the heat were on, WSL would have most likely used a more direct application and would not have bothered with the Tan. But again, when teaching and showing examples, sometimes the situation just isn't perfect.
So he is teaching to intercept by moving forward with power with a chasing hand principle of which we aren't supposed to do and applying an indirect tan structure that is actually a training of the elbow for the punch.
Interesting.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So he is teaching to intercept by moving forward with power with a chasing hand principle of which we aren't supposed to do and applying an indirect tan structure that is actually a training of the elbow for the punch.
Interesting.

Out of curiosity, why all the critique?

There's a lot going on in the video. As I'm sure you're aware of, its extremely difficult to get the complete picture from a short clip of a seminar. He's not advocating any chasing hand principals here. He's just showing an example of implementing a driving elbow, while using a Tan Da shape to illustrate his point. If you look closely, you'll see that WSL is still pressing towards the gentleman's center and he's using the elbow as a piston to drive. It's not like he went way out with the Tan to intercept the swing.

Lobo66

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He is showing exactly the opposite of chasing the arm. In fact, he shows that if you remain in place and try to block the arm you will get hit. Instead, he shows to control the space by moving quickly forward and on a slight diagonal, "cutting off" the punch and striking simultaneously. This is a consistent theme in WSLVT.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He is showing exactly the opposite of chasing the arm. In fact, he shows that if you remain in place and try to block the arm you will get hit.

Exactly. It's also important to note that the slight diagonal angle that WSL is attacking from is still on center, also a core WSLVT principal.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Exactly. It's also important to note that the slight diagonal angle that WSL is attacking from is still on center, also a core WSLVT principal.

Thanks for the informative responses. This is the kind of straightforward sharing of info. that benefits us all and makes this forum worthwhile.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought you were "done" again.

I said I was done trying to have any kind of productive discussion with you and Guy. Not that I was done posting.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why all the critique?

Callen, you have to realize that Guy and LFJ have given WSLVT people a very bad rep here. Recent threads are a perfect example of why. Not long ago there was a long discussion where they both vehemently denied that WSLVT taught the Tan Da motion, despite people showing several pictures of WSLVT people and WSL himself performing a Tan Da! And now here we see WSL doing a Tan Da during a seminar in which you yourself noted that he is teaching many core principles of WSLVT. But I am sure the "dynamic duo" would still deny that Tan Da is used in WSLVT! Or they will now figure out a way to argue that this is not REALLY what they meant in that prior discussion! ;)

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
He is showing exactly the opposite of chasing the arm. In fact, he shows that if you remain in place and try to block the arm you will get hit. Instead, he shows to control the space by moving quickly forward and on a slight diagonal, "cutting off" the punch and striking simultaneously. This is a consistent theme in WSLVT.

No doubt! I agree with you Lobo! I only made the comment that I did because the dynamic duo tried to say that the Hok Bong in Pin Sun is indirect and the very definition of hand chasing according to them. And yet it controls the space and opens up the path for the punch coming almost simultaneously behind it. In fact, it is even less of "meeting force with force" than what WSL is showing in this video clip. And I will note that WSL's Tan Sau is NOT directed into the opponent's center. It is moving towards the opponent's punch. But both are good and both work!

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Callen, you have to realize that Guy and LFJ have given WSLVT people a very bad rep here. Recent threads are a perfect example of why. Not long ago there was a long discussion where they both vehemently denied that WSLVT taught the Tan Da motion, despite people showing several pictures of WSLVT people and WSL himself performing a Tan Da! And now here we see WSL doing a Tan Da during a seminar in which you yourself noted that he is teaching many core principles of WSLVT. But I am sure the "dynamic duo" would still deny that Tan Da is used in WSLVT! Or they will now figure out a way to argue that this is not REALLY what they meant in that prior discussion! ;)

We all have to pick our battles. I don't see any real reason to go back and forth about what either one of their opinions might be in regards to what is or what isn't used in WSLVT (no offense to you of course). Why bother trying to find error in anyone else's understanding of the system. Be you, let others be themselves and focus on your own Wing Chun.

Starting a thread using a WSL video in an attempt to illustrate how others are wrong is simply seeking an argument. Having more humility removes the ego's need for something to prove. In the Wing Chun community, we are always going to hear different people share their personal interpretations of the system. It's up to us as good stewards to receive that information and decide what to do with it. We can chose to learn from it, we can take it personally, or we can let it go and accept that there are opinions other than our own.

Let's all give a shout-out to Wude, or Mo Dak, and not forget that Wing Chun is a Traditional Chinese form of Gong Fu. We should remember Wing Chun's cultural roots and allow true respect and humility to come to the forefront. Let it go...

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe the dynamic duo need a group hug. Anyway, nice to see a tangible viewpoint from Callen. Out of curiosity, does the OP, any other member know what year that seminar was? No particular point, Just curiosity.

Last edited:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
We all have to pick our battles. I don't see any real reason to go back and forth about what either one of their opinions might be in regards to what is or what isn't used in WSLVT (no offense to you of course). Why bother trying to find error in anyone else's understanding of the system. Be you, let others be themselves and focus on your own Wing Chun.

Starting a thread using a WSL video in an attempt to illustrate how others are wrong is simply seeking an argument. Having more humility removes the ego's need for something to prove. In the Wing Chun community, we are always going to hear different people share their personal interpretations of the system. It's up to us as good stewards to receive that information and decide what to do with it. We can chose to learn from it, we can take it personally, or we can let it go and accept that there are opinions other than our own.

Let's all give a shout-out to Wude, or Mo Dak, and not forget that Wing Chun is a Traditional Chinese form of Gong Fu. We should remember Wing Chun's cultural roots and allow true respect and humility to come to the forefront. Let it go...

Of course you are right Callen! Good to hear some common sense! Unfortunately others in your lineage seem to have made it a purpose in their life to do exactly the opposite. I will try to ignore them as best I can going forward. Thanks!

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I said I was done trying to have any kind of productive discussion with you and Guy.
I will try to ignore them as best I can going forward.

Then why the wink and eye roll when picking out taan-da? You're obviously trying to provoke a response.

Not long ago there was a long discussion where they both vehemently denied that WSLVT taught the Tan Da motion, despite people showing several pictures of WSLVT people and WSL himself performing a Tan Da!

The pictures you posted of WSL were not taan-da, and one was not even a taan-sau.

What you were looking at was explained to you, but you have of course ignored it so you can carry on arguing.

And now here we see WSL doing a Tan Da during a seminar

VT can't be learned in 20 minutes. In reality, SNT is not a set of applications. What is shown here are just superficial interpretations of the actions taken at face value, a take-home for people there for the afternoon.

I only made the comment that I did because the dynamic duo tried to say that the Hok Bong in Pin Sun is indirect and the very definition of hand chasing according to them. And yet it controls the space and opens up the path for the punch coming almost simultaneously behind it.

Your Hok Bong "follows" the opponent's arm all the way up and over your head.

There is no comparison with what is shown here.

Latest Discussions