MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How's this:

"He's like the Pope" :lfao:

.....sorry, couldn't resist......:lfao:
I'm sorry...i'm really really sorry....but the first thing that came to me was that robot dog from the original BattleStar Galactica series. :D

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
speaking of which elder, the link is from 2001, not 2005, as you posted

oh, BTW- you seem to have developed an un-healthy man crush on me. please dont. I am still scarred from the last one

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
speaking of which elder, the link is from 2001, not 2005, as you posted

Even better, I suppose......

oh, BTW- you seem to have developed an un-healthy man crush on me. please dont. I am still scarred from the last one

Stop playing coy, TF-I know how you Navy guys are. :wink: All that flirting with Carol is just a front (sorry, Carol-it's true!)

Don't worry, big boy, I'll be gentle..:lfao:

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
elder9 Me said:
11th Commandment[/i]:

Thou shalt mind thine own business.
I think you are absolutely right. We should all mind our own business. When Germany annexed Poland in 1939, we should have just turned away. Millions of jews, dying in death camps around Eastern Europe-who cares? It's not our problem. Hundreds of thousands of kurds, mutilated and murdered by Saddam Hussein's goons-it's just their way of doing things, just let it happen.

This is my take on things. The people of the United States give more aid, in the shape of money and food to developing countries, including islamic nations than any other country on this Earth. In the most part we teach tolerance and there is not a single muslim who cannot practice his or her faith here, in safety, without the government arresting them. How do I know this to be fact, because more and more people of different faiths line up to come to the US every year, for the chance of constitutional protections and a decent life. On the other hand, if any of us go to Tehran and open an evangelical christian church, just see what happens.

I lived in the city of York in North Yorkshire in 1989, when islamic fundamentalists blew up the penguin bookstore on a busy spring Saturday afternoon. The bookstore had stocked "The Satanic Verses", so these islamic dogs decided to target high school kids, whose only crime was having a weekend job to put towards college life.

I don't consider it hypocritical for me to condemn radical islam for it's violent crimes and it's crimes against young girls. If you want to start a thread about Dr Tiller the baby killer in Kansas, who performs partial birth abortions on babies viable outside the womb for a one time fee of $5000, i'll speak out about that. If you want to start a thread about activist judges like Edward Cashman in Vermont who was prepared to give 90 days in jail and 10 years of probation to a nonse who raped a young girl repeatedly for 6 years from the age of 4 to 10, i'll speak out about that too. Being a non-practising catholic, i'll also speak out about the years of sexual abuse that has been hushed up in the church, and how i'd love to see Cardinals Law and Mahoney locked away in prison along with Benedict for hushing the whole thing up.

I'm not going to give radical islam a pass, because of political correctness or because child abuse is just part of their culture and therefore should be accepted.

Whoa-that felt good. I'm gonna get up now and take a cold shower.

Last edited:

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shouldn't we fix our own issues before we condemn someone else for theirs?

Y'see, Bob, raising hell over the grave sins of other people makes it very easy to ignore the sick crap that's done in one's own neighborhood.

And before anyone says it, NO, I'm not saying I agree with an 8-year-old being married. But I would like to point out that if you just read the first page or two of this thread, you'd think that she was being raped by her new husband the day after getting wedded.

Before we get off (no pun intended) on these tangents of moral relativism and child mutilation and Christian vs. Islamic, let's be sure we're all on the same page of WHAT exactly this thread is even ABOUT.

An 8-year-old girl was legally forced into a marriage, despite her and her mother's objections, through a court-approved process. She maintains the right to annul before reaching age of consent, and (as far as the discussion's shown), hasn't actually been touched by the husband.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As much as I support same gender games, y'all get a private room, mk? thanx.
:)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you are absolutely right. We should all mind our own business. When Germany annexed Poland in 1939, we should have just turned away.

Er, we did. "I have in my hand a piece of paper" ring any bells?

Millions of jews, dying in death camps around Eastern Europe-who cares?

Er, noone knew.

It's not our problem. Hundreds of thousands of kurds, mutilated and murdered by Saddam Hussein's goons-it's just their way of doing things, just let it happen.

And the invasion was just so much better. Plus, who hung the Kurds out to dry after promising to aid and protect them?

This is my take on things. The people of the United States give more aid, in the shape of money and food to developing countries, including islamic nations than any other country on this Earth.

Because they extract more than any other nation on earth through unequal economic trade.

In the most part we teach tolerance and there is not a single muslim who cannot practice his or her faith here, in safety, without the government arresting them. How do I know this to be fact, because more and more people of different faiths line up to come to the US every year, for the chance of constitutional protections and a decent life. On the other hand, if any of us go to Tehran and open an evangelical christian church, just see what happens.

Now that has a semblance of reality to it.

I lived in the city of York in North Yorkshire in 1989, when islamic fundamentalists blew up the penguin bookstore on a busy spring Saturday afternoon. The bookstore had stocked "The Satanic Verses", so these islamic dogs decided to target high school kids, whose only crime was having a weekend job to put towards college life.

Aye I had forgotten that, amongst other such attacks:

"The years following the fatwa were also a damaging and sometimes lethal period for many of those associated with The Satanic Verses, few of whom had any protection. In April 1989 Collets, the left-wing bookshop, and Dillons were firebombed for stocking the Rushdie novel. A month later there were explosions in High Wycombe and London's King's Road. There was a bomb in the Liberty department store which housed a Penguin Bookshop (Penguin was the publisher of The Satanic Verses) and at the York Penguin bookshop. Unexploded devices were also discovered at the Nottingham, Guildford and Peterborough branches of the store."

I don't consider it hypocritical for me to condemn radical islam for it's violent crimes and it's crimes against young girls.

{snip}

I'm not going to give radical islam a pass, because of political correctness or because child abuse is just part of their culture and therefore should be accepted.

I don't think anyone here has not been condemnatory of the idea of using a child as financial collateral nor is not likewise condemnatory of the essential concept of religion being used as a rationale for violence or oppression. We have more than enough experience of that in our own history without condoning more of it in the present.

However, it is not "political correctness" or giving "Islam a pass", it is political expediency that governs how the world turns.

We can froth and judge and feel comforted by same but it won't change anything until such time as it is no longer expedient to turn a blind eye to such things from a useful toehold in a valuable area of the world.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
An 8-year-old girl was legally forced into a marriage, despite her and her mother's objections, through a court-approved process. She maintains the right to annul before reaching age of consent, and (as far as the discussion's shown), hasn't actually been touched by the husband.
Her mother doesn't want it, she doesn't want it, but the judge says it's gonna happen and the girl belongs to the guy until she reaches the age of consent. Call me old fashioned, but isn't this wrong? Just because the guy hasn't reportedly touched her doesn't mean that this isn't wrong. The judge has decided that the girl will be payment for a debt, isn't this tantamount to slavery. I just wouldn't like to think that anyone here is ok with slavery and child abuse, just because it is happening in another part of the world.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, you have a point, but we did stand up to the forces of nazi-ism and it's ideology.

Er, noone knew.
I'm noy saying that people knew. Who really knows who knew? I'm just saying that we can't step back and let atrocities occur because, it's not happening in our back yard and therefore is none of our business.

And the invasion was just so much better. Plus, who hung the Kurds out to dry after promising to aid and protect them?
Considering that the kurds were being butchered at one point y a crazy tyrant, I would say that life is better for them now than it was.

Because they extract more than any other nation on earth through unequal economic trade.
The truth is that most middle eastern islamic nations have huge oil wealth. Their people live in adject poverty, while their leadership comprises of some of the richest people on Earth. You should blame these country's leaders for their people's suffering not us. I'd like to see what percentage of my tax dollars go to despots as opposed to the people of the countries they rule.

I don't think anyone here has not been condemnatory of the idea of using a child as financial collateral nor is not likewise condemnatory of the essential concept of religion being used as a rationale for violence or oppression. We have more than enough experience of that in our own history without condoning more of it in the present.

I think some people not been condemnatory. When someone says that the 11 commandment should by to mind one's own business, I think that speaks for itself.

However, it is not "political correctness" or giving "Islam a pass", it is political expediency that governs how the world turns.

I agree with this statement. There is nothing we can see here that will change things. I just like the fact that both you and I can speak out about such things and argue the toss, without getting our heads removed from our shoulders.

We can froth and judge and feel comforted by same but it won't change anything until such time as it is no longer expedient to turn a blind eye to such things from a useful toehold in a valuable area of the world.

Sadly true.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Er, noone knew.

Now that has a semblance of reality to it.

Aye I had forgotten that, amongst other such attacks:

"The years following the fatwa were also a damaging and sometimes lethal period for many of those associated with The Satanic Verses, few of whom had any protection. In April 1989 Collets, the left-wing bookshop, and Dillons were firebombed for stocking the Rushdie novel. A month later there were explosions in High Wycombe and London's King's Road. There was a bomb in the Liberty department store which housed a Penguin Bookshop (Penguin was the publisher of The Satanic Verses) and at the York Penguin bookshop. Unexploded devices were also discovered at the Nottingham, Guildford and Peterborough branches of the store."

I seem to have imposed my words into Sukerkin's quote. Sorry about that, but I'm still a little computer phobic.and don't know how to intersperse the quotes of others within my own text.

There goes the blue bus..excuse me while I catch it.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sukerkin,
Just a side note, aren't you in England right now. It's almost 3am GMT. I hear camomile is a good sleep aid.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I think you are absolutely right. We should all mind our own business.

I'm not talking about giving radical Islam a pass, and I despise political correctness. In the first place, the whole child marriage thing has been going on for a long time in that country-as Twin Fist is fond of pointing out, the Prophet Mohammad (blessed be his name) wed a child more than a thousand years ago-long before "radical Islam" or Wahabism existed-though some would argue that the whole thing has been radical from the start. As I also pointed out, the chief cleric of Saudi Arabia-the man who ultimately lays down the rules for interpretation of Sharia law that led to the decision in question-has condemned terrorism.

I'd also add that "radical Islam," the terrorists, whatever, are as guilty of violation of the 11th commandment as anyone, even more so, and that their actions make them our business. Where do we draw the line about that, though? Do we say, Oh goodness, they're terrible people, bargaining away children into marriage for money-we've got to stop it so they stop blowing things up!, or is that a case of apples and oranges? The law in their country is the law in their country, and thankfully, as much as some of them might like to make it so, it will never be the law in mine.

"These people need to enter the 21st century," some will say, and I think they'd be right.Problem is, though, such things-like democracy have to come from within-they arise from the people, and can't be forced upon them. To attempt to do so diverts energy from battles that have to be fought, does nothing to foster any kind of understanding, and ultimately lead to failure.

IThere goes the blue bus..excuse me while I catch it.

'zat anything like a "little bus?" :lfao:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"These people need to enter the 21st century," some will say, and I think they'd be right.Problem is, though, such things-like democracy have to come from within-they arise from the people, and can't be forced upon them.

Are you criticizing the wonderful job done by the Europeans in Africa?

(Of course I'm being sarcastic. Sheesh!)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Are you criticizing the wonderful job done by the Europeans in Africa?

(Of course I'm being sarcastic. Sheesh!)

No, I was just stating a fact-the flashlight beam of which can be shone on any number of places and attempts at "social engineering".......kinda gotta wonder where the state of Iraq's "democracy" will be in 20 years time, with or without our continued interf-er-assistance.(Of course I'm being sarcastic, at all!.Sheesh!)

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sukerkin,
Just a side note, aren't you in England right now. It's almost 3am GMT. I hear camomile is a good sleep aid.

:eek: I have ever been a 'vampire', tho' nowadays I find my aging body cannot support such sleep habits well :(. Four or five hours a night no longer suffices it seems :eek:.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye? I have put that down to a lasting legacy of the spinal compression from my bike accident. Is there another explanation (real or comedic (e.g. hanging upside down to sleep a la a bat :D))?

Latest Discussions