4 hour ordeal ahead. Tips?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Lau gradings were old-school, pretty like those described above. I was much younger then and incredibly fit but that didn't help as the tests were just extended until you did reach your limit :D.

My iaido gradings are also several hours long and often involve working to a state where you think you can't do any more and then having to perform kata at a rapid pace or, worse still, a very slow pace.

What is being evaluated is your actual level of understanding of the forms and your physical ability to execute them.

Until I went through it in my sword-art tho', I would've agreed with those who have expressed a feeling that it's somewhat needless for gradings to be so hard when we're not really training for the battlefield any more.

However, when I went through kata with my arms so tired I could barely lift them and my hands so tired I thought I couldn't hold my sword and could still cut with power and accuracy ... that's when you know you have managed to learn technique and leave muscle behind :D.

Still, I shall remember to my dying day one grading seminar where we went back and forth across the dojo cutting to the rhythm of ich .. ni .. san .. shi etc. Each time we got to ju and sensei would turn us round with the call of ich I groaned inside with the heartfelt prayer of "Please, Buddha, not again!" :D.

It wasn't fun but that sense of pride as I performed kata with some semblance of skill afterwards overwhelmed all the aches and pains.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can handle it because it is not really that long
Good point. Put it in perspective.

shesulsa said:
A lengthy test like that is more about memory, fitness and mental training: what do you have left after everything else has left you? Do you quit or do you get up again and do one more jump spin kick? Do you say, "this is idiotic" and walk out or do you snap to, say "YES SIR!" and do it one more time?

"Just one more time ..." is what got me through the last hour or so of my test.
Long, long ago ('71), in a land far, far away (San Diego), I believe this is how some of us got through boot camp. The torturers there were PRO's at tearing you down to build you up. Course, I was 19 (gawd), and the attrition was awful (close to 50%). And there was no redo if you failed most sections. You were out of the 'art' (service) completely with a less than Honorable Discharge--for life. And that prety much skewed job prospects, etc. for ever and ever.

So, I'm hoping that bit of ancient history adds even a sliver more to the perspective into which you can put this four hours (or whatever) of your life.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What has helped me in the past is to think about the one thing that you are doing now. Example if doing front kick, do front kick as if it is the first one that you'll do and its the last one that you will do. Try to stay in the moment don't worry about time the test will last as long as the Master wants to last. In my humble opinion I have never been ready for a test even though I have trained months/years in advance. There will always be something that you could-a/would-a/should-a done. If your Master thinks you are ready then you are. Get plenty of rest hydrate and carb load if you can. Good luck and remember to have fun. This is your time to shine!!!!

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well apparently in MA test speak, 4 hours actually means 5.

Geez I am wiped. I think I did well, but memories of a badly exceuted punch or kick are coming back to haunt me already. Once I was so exhausted and frustrated with my performance during a punching drill that tears welled up in my eyes and almost spilled over. OTOH my face was so red and sweaty that I dont' think anybody would have noticed.

So who knows. We will all find out how we did on Friday next week. It's show up and either get your belt or not. And believe me, the thought of not passing after all that makes me want to cry right now.

The good news is that yes, I did put my fears about testing to rest and I also did learn a lot about the areas I need to work on more. Therefore it was time well spent.

Thanks to you all for your support and advice. I will update this thread next Saturday to let you know the outcome.:)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We look forward to it. Belt or no, it makes no difference to the experience you have gained. The grade is not the person and it certainly is not the art.

They're somewhat useful markers along the road that let us see how far we've come; they are not the road.

If it turns out that way, don't let not gaining one flag stop your journey on the road. I know one sensei whose been up for his godan (Kendo) more than once and is looking forward to trying again.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yay for you, girlbug. I can't even begin to say how proud I am of you. Look forward to your post next Saturday.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you had a good experience and learned what you need work on, that and the mental toughness that got you through the test is what the test was all about. Whether you pass or not you've learned something about yourself, and you won't be as worried next time, because you've already done it once. Congratulations on getting through the test, you should be very proud of yourself for getting past this milestone. I'm looking forward to hearing the results.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
as with those above I say Congradulations on gettin gthrough the test.

They are also correct in saying pass or not the important thing is you did do the test and did your best. I am sure you have learned a little more about yourslef from doing so.

We all want to hear that you passed

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now you know you can - that may be more important than anything else you learned for or through this experience. Congratulations on your achievement!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is awesome. All things said, done, weighed and controverted ... you did it and no one - NO ONE - will ever be able to take that from you.

YOU ROCK!!!

:partyon:

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well everybody...I passed!!!!:boing1:

Now I am a Level Two student. My partner (who had a pulled rib muscle btw) also passed the test, which was great to hear because she has become a good friend.

Later this week our scores will be available to us so we can see where to work on improving. I am absolutely psyched about this. Now it feels like anything's possible.

Thanks to everybody who advised me in this thread. Drinks on me at the Urusai Bar & Grill!:cheers:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

Now I am a Level Two student. My partner (who had a pulled rib muscle btw) also passed the test, which was great to hear because she has become a good friend.

Later this week our scores will be available to us so we can see where to work on improving. I am absolutely psyched about this. Now it feels like anything's possible.

Thanks to everybody who advised me in this thread. Drinks on me at the Urusai Bar & Grill!:cheers:
CONGRATULATIONS!!

:bangahead: :partyon: :bangahead:

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congratulations, girlbug! :D :D

I think it's so cool that you get to see your scores.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Congratulations!!!!
:partyon: :cheers: :highfive:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thanks and make mine a double.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Girlbug2
Congratulations on passing your test.

An interesting learning tool is to go to your grader and ask for four examples of your performance. Two things that you did not do as well as you might have, specific things that need some work (you may already have some ideas but it is good to get a different perspective) and just as important two things that you did better than expected.

Too many people focus only on what they did poorly and that creates bad habits and tension. Others focus only on what they did well and that also sets up bad habits and tension. It is important to know and learn to recognize our weaknesses and our strengths not only so that we can improve ourselves but also that we can recognize strengths and weaknesses in others as well. Having the specific areas pointed out and recognized can give you added focus during your training

Again congratulations
Regards
Brian King

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know it's lame to quote yourself, but ...

That is awesome. All things said, done, weighed and controverted ... you did it and no one - NO ONE - will ever be able to take that from you.

YOU ROCK!!!

:partyon:

WOO HOO!!!

Latest Discussions