4 hour ordeal ahead. Tips?

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now I've gone and done it. I am signing up for the Krav Maga Level 2 test on Saturday. I hadn't been thinking I was ready, but another student with a hurt foot no less, told me he would be taking it, so I was sorta shamed into this :).

Anyway, it's my first such test and I have doubts about my ability to physically hold up for 4 hours. There will be short periods of rest I'm sure, and periodically they will let us drink water.

Can any of you offer any tips about how to have the stamina to get through this? Other than sugar...I am prediabetic.

Thanks!

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Know your limits. If you are feeling not well take a break no harm in knowing your limit. The only way to really have endurance for things like this is to work on increasing your endurance. However eating a good meal before hand and a snack during one of your breaks may help you along the way.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you havent been doing any conditioning it's probably a bit late at this stage so just make sure you do a bit of carbo loading the night before maybe some spag bol and on the day try to stay well hydrated thats about all you can do.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again... 99.999% of the problems and things we regret are because we said... "Yes" .

You were shamed into doing this?

Think about that for a moment. Really think about it.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't look at the clock.

I once took a color belt test that lasted six hours--even stress fractured my foot with about 1/2 hour to go. But I didn't know any of that till later (we were told it'd be about three hours). With only two 30-second water breaks, still turned out fine.

So don't build your own wall, either before or during. Let us know how it went!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hydrate, get plenty of sleep, and do not worry about the test. Go into the test knowing that you will do your best and do what you can . Do not try to go past your limits of endurance or learning. Stay calm and enjoy the moment( even if it hurts). This is but another step in learning

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since you really feel you are not ready, take your name off the list. You admitted you was shamed into it, so shame out of it.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has your past training leading up to the test prepared you? At this point with the test being so near its tough to build up stamina too much by then. I would get lots of rest the day before and have a good breakfast (but not too soon before the test!)

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck if you go through with it.

Personally, I would not test if it were me. I would prepare months ahead by upping my endurance via intervals, jumping rope, squat thrusts, etc. Also, one of my black belt classmates told me that hydration starts days before a long test. It's not uncommon for people doing long tests to end up with salt rings around their mouths from dehydration regardless of hydration measures.

Are you sure water breaks are allowed? During our 4-hour Il Gup pre-black-belt tests, neither water nor bathroom breaks are allowed.

This, of course, is for my Tang Soo Do school. But I imagine any 4-hour test is going to be rough.

There is no shame in opting out of the test if you do not feel ready. You compete with yourself, right?

Last edited:
OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Has your past training leading up to the test prepared you? At this point with the test being so near its tough to build up stamina too much by then. I would get lots of rest the day before and have a good breakfast (but not too soon before the test!)

After discussing my readiness with a few instructors I was told that I had been going long enough and training often enough that I would likely pass.

My uncertainity stems from two things,
1. It's freakin' four hours -- I have never exercised for four straight hours in my life! Maybe two, occasionally. My health is good and I am able to complete 95% of what is asked of the students in classes (excepting pushups, always had problems there -- I can only do the "girly" kind), but still.

2. While I am sure the curriculum has exposed me to each technique and drill at least a few times, they're all mixed up in my head at times...coming off of Kenpo, under the scenario of stress, I might revert to another system during the test:(. Originally I had hoped to have another 2 months or so to "straighten out" everything in my head. But then, maybe it's supposed to be instinctive, not "remembered".

Anyhow, I'm resigned to seeing what I've really learned in 4 months time.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After discussing my readiness with a few instructors I was told that I had been going long enough and training often enough that I would likely pass.

1. It's freakin' four hours -- I have never exercised for four straight hours in my life! Maybe two, occasionally. My health is good and I am able to complete 95% of what is asked of the students in classes (excepting pushups, always had problems there -- I can only do the "girly" kind), but still.

2. While I am sure the curriculum has exposed me to each technique and drill at least a few times, they're all mixed up in my head at times...coming off of Kenpo, under the scenario of stress, I might revert to another system during the test:(. Originally I had hoped to have another 2 months or so to "straighten out" everything in my head. But then, maybe it's supposed to be instinctive, not "remembered".

Well then you need to get your mind in the right game and quit saying I have trouble here and there and just do it. One thing I hate is when people talk about what they can and cannot do, you see until the test is over you do not know. Best of luck and keep us posted.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kidswarrior
Don't look at the clock.

I once took a color belt test that lasted six hours--even stress fractured my foot with about 1/2 hour to go. But I didn't know any of that till later (we were told it'd be about three hours). With only two 30-second water breaks, still turned out fine.

So don't build your own wall, either before or during. Let us know how it went!

What kind of f'ing idiots run tests like that?

What kind of even bigger f'ing idiots go along?

That is a perfect recipe for lasting injuries, and would be a solid reason for an injury lawsuit.

I'm so sick and tired of so-called instructors that do crap like that in the name of 'toughness'.

WOW pretty harsh statement there!! I can asure you, when I was going up for my color belt test, my teacher made us earn our belts as well. My Yellow belt test was every bit 4 hours long. My blue belt was at least that 4hrs. As was my other ranks up to Brown Belt. Which was a grueling 8 hours to the "T".... I earned my ranks when I went thru my tests..

If those sound rough, then you would of hated going thru my black belt test which was a full 2 days. 10 hours testing, spent the night in the dojo and got up the next day and done 8 hours the next day. Not to mention we full contact fought! AND im not talking about sparring, im talking it was like what we see as "cage fighting" today.. We fought till we either caused the other to tap, or by K.O. this was way back in the late 80's early 90's. Before UFC and all that. So yes, it may of been a little much, but then it was not unheard of. TODAY's schools IMHO and humble opinion are soft comapared to the schools of yesterday. LIABILITY Reasons im sure...

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck if you go through with it.

Personally, I would not test if it were me. I would prepare months ahead by upping my endurance via intervals, jumping rope, squat thrusts, etc. Also, one of my black belt classmates told me that hydration starts days before a long test. It's not uncommon for people doing long tests to end up with salt rings around their mouths from dehydration regardless of hydration measures.

Are you sure water breaks are allowed? During our 4-hour Il Gup pre-black-belt tests, neither water nor bathroom breaks are allowed.

This, of course, is for my Tang Soo Do school. But I imagine any 4-hour test is going to be rough.

There is no shame in opting out of the test if you do not feel ready. You compete with yourself, right?
Just a clarification - the Il Gup evaluation is 6 hours, not 4.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I bet you there will be a lot of people in your group who have never exercised 4 hours in a row!

I know your art is different than mine, but it isn't unusual for people to not pass in my school. There is no shame in not passing at my school. And it's not failing a test. It's not passing. If your instructors think you are ready, go for it! For sure, it will be a growing experience. Good luck :)

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pass or failure is not that important. What is important is that you learn a little more about yourself. Facing your fears (spiritual) and pushing your body (physical) and testing your knowledge (mental) are all great things and doing something that does all three at the same time can be a phenomenal tool and experience. Try to go in and pay attention no matter how tired you might be (many injuries happen doe to lack of attention and exhaustion) keep breathing, stay calm and do the best that you can from where you are at right now. Realize that you are not perfect but that if you do not feel sorry for yourself or love yourself too much that you can accomplish much more than you currently believe.

One trick to help you get thru tough situations (I am thinking earthquakes, large fires, riots and such) is to find a person weaker or worse off that you are and to make it your mission to get them thru the ordeal. By doing so it forces you to remain calm, to think more clearly and to be strong and positive. It works for testing’s and long workouts and such as well.

Good luck
Brian King

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You've been given alot of good advice. I'd like to add do you preperation, but don't worry about the outcome, deal with what happens as it happens and don't anticipate. It's a test, if you don't pass, you know what to expect the next time, if you do pass you'll have something to celebrate. Eeal with each part as it comes, don't watch the clock, and try to relax and enjoy yourself. Best of luck.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree with everyone so far.. I have only one other piece of simple advice I do not think was mentioned.. just to PACE yourself.. the old adrenaline / epinephrine will wear off quick once you get going and so take it modestly at first and build it up and step it up as you get more confident through the test :) Oh I would also suggest nothing less than a full day's rest the day before.. do not worry bout last minute tweaking of techniques, they will be well locked in by then and on the day balance your sugars and hydration, not too much, not too little :) All the cogs will work properly, your mind will see to it! And all the very best of luck in your preparations and test :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One trick to help you get thru tough situations (I am thinking earthquakes, large fires, riots and such) is to find a person weaker or worse off that you are and to make it your mission to get them thru the ordeal. By doing so it forces you to remain calm, to think more clearly and to be strong and positive. It works for testing’s and long workouts and such as well.

Good luck
Brian King

I will certainly put that piece of advice into practice tomorrow. Thanks.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Good advice so far and I have really nothing to add but I tend to look at things like this… well like this

4 hours if 1/42 of a week and if you sleep 8 hours a day it is 1/28 of your waking week.

You can handle it because it is not really that long

Latest Discussions