252 Techniques

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a good analogy.
To me it's a lot like learning to read. When you begin you are needing to sound out each word to get it right. Then later you have the more common words down by sight recognition and only need to sound out the one's that are more uncommon or new to you.
The timing patterns are very similar. These motions are common in many of our techniques/patterns/sets/forms...etc. Therefore when we find a piece of motion in a technique that we are just now learning that is much like a portion of the timing pattern.... boom, youv'e got it and can spend more time on those less common pieces of the motion until they too are ironed out.

I LOVE teaching a technique to someone the first time and then after a while pointing out the motions that correspond to a section of one of the timing patterns and seeing the guys eyes light up and then.........whack...., like flipping a switch...he's got it. Therefore when you get better at performing the timing drills, flowing in and out of them, rearanging them...etc, you are simultaneously increasing your ability w/in many different techniques... thus the term "Master Key" timing patterns.

Aiding in the assimilation of techniques is only one aspect of the timing patterns though, there are many more benefits.

Later
Your

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Brother John
[Later
Your [/B]

Is that the shortened version of your name? So do we call you just "Your" from now on? :rofl:

OP
B

bahenlaura

Plus, some folks make time for other exercise & calesthenics... why not kill two birds with one stone? Make Kenpo your calesthenics. It's a matter of intensity and duration. Don't skimp on stretching though.... keeps injury at bay.

Later...
Your Brother
John

:)

That is great stuff Brother John,

That is something we do with forms. To built Cardio and estamina, we do forms in different intensity, such as Long 4 slow, fast, slow or go through all forms and in between do push ups and set ups or burppies. sport specific conditioning.
keep it up
yours
Burt E.
:cool:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
First off, thanks Bahenlaura. It's long been my opinion that the best way to get better at doing Kenpo isn't in pushups, but in doing more Kenpo.
Not that exercise and whatnot isn't important... it is. But for me its a matter of time and energy. Our bodys respond to exercise specific to the demand.... therefore my excercise IS Kenpo.

NOW: Jeff....
twas in a hurry...
I am now, as I ever will be...
Your Brother
John
;) :asian:

OP
J

jeffkyle

He is in debt to me for a loooong time. I have many chores for him to do. :D ;) :asian:

OP
J

jeffkyle

paint the fence
wax the cars
hammer the nails
sand the floor.....

what else Mr. Miyagi?

Your

Paint the house
Very important lesson to be learned there! :shrug: ;) :D