Being sick at gradings :(

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got my black belt grading in about three weeks, and although I'm not too worried about the technical side of it, I'm scared it's going to be so physically difficult I'll be sick :(

This happened to me once before when I worked myself really really hard (I went outside, I didn't throw up in the hall or anything!), and although my instructor said that he'd done it himself and it was nothing to worry about I'm still really ashamed of it.

I feel that if this happens in a black belt grading, it's just going to put me right off it and I won't do very well (especially if it's more physical at the start and ends with techniques).

Is there anything I can do to try and stop this happening, apart from being fitter? I've been training as hard as I can given the time I've got, I'm having to write a thesis at the moment as well so I can't train as hard as I would ideally like to do.

How many other people have done this? Are you still embarassed or did you manage to laugh it off?

Would have been so bad if it wasn't just me...

Ian.

K

KenpoGirl

Go to the Drug Store and get yourself some Gravol to take before the test. That'll keep your stomach settled.

Better check for side effects though, drowsiness, loss of balance would not be good for your test.

K

Kenpomachine

Just try to relax and do some breathing exercises. This way, at least you'll have enough oxigen to run the techniques. Take your time while doing them and forget about speed, having the timing right doesn't mean you have to run through the techniques.
And if this works, remind me this july when my black belt test is probably being done :)

Ahh. enjoy what you're doing and try to forget you're being graded (as if it were that easy, uh?):D

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
I've got my black belt grading in about three weeks, and although I'm not too worried about the technical side of it, I'm scared it's going to be so physically difficult I'll be sick :(

This happened to me once before when I worked myself really really hard (I went outside, I didn't throw up in the hall or anything!), and although my instructor said that he'd done it himself and it was nothing to worry about I'm still really ashamed of it.

I feel that if this happens in a black belt grading, it's just going to put me right off it and I won't do very well (especially if it's more physical at the start and ends with techniques).

Is there anything I can do to try and stop this happening, apart from being fitter? I've been training as hard as I can given the time I've got, I'm having to write a thesis at the moment as well so I can't train as hard as I would ideally like to do.

How many other people have done this? Are you still embarassed or did you manage to laugh it off?

Would have been so bad if it wasn't just me...

Ian.

I don't get physically sick.. But I get stage fright terribly.. I hate to be on display and always flub up no matter how well I know a technique.. I can preform flawlessly when I'm teaching.. but as soon as I realize a high rank is watching and judging.. then pfffts.. I'm doomed.. :(
I am testing for black in 3 weeks too and I already know I'm doomed .. Whenever I tested before it was a group thing.. and Seig didn't single me out in front of everyone.. he tested us all groupwise and that was ok.. course he Knows what I'm capable of as he sees me every night.. so he's actually testing all of us on a nightly basis if that makes any sense. Just uses the 'Test night' as a standard. Now he's informed me that 2 of us are testing for black when Mr. Conatser comes up.. and I'm already in knots.. I'll never be a lone preformer but in groups.. sparring or techs.. I'm just fine :)
Good luck and know you're not alone in your anxiety~!!!

Tess

K

Kirk

Originally posted by KenpoTess
I don't get physically sick.. But I get stage fright terribly.. I hate to be on display and always flub up no matter how well I know a technique.. I can preform flawlessly when I'm teaching.. but as soon as I realize a high rank is watching and judging.. then pfffts.. I'm doomed.. :(
I am testing for black in 3 weeks too and I already know I'm doomed .. Whenever I tested before it was a group thing.. and Seig didn't single me out in front of everyone.. he tested us all groupwise and that was ok.. course he Knows what I'm capable of as he sees me every night.. so he's actually testing all of us on a nightly basis if that makes any sense. Just uses the 'Test night' as a standard. Now he's informed me that 2 of us are testing for black when Mr. Conatser comes up.. and I'm already in knots.. I'll never be a lone preformer but in groups.. sparring or techs.. I'm just fine :)
Good luck and know you're not alone in your anxiety~!!!

Tess

My instructor is fully aware of this, which I like. Our testing groups
are usually small, so a lot of us flub up because of stage fright.
That's why he feels you've earned your color before you test.
Then the test is just torture we go through to earn the right to
wear the next color LOL. Unless you blow it BIG TIME, you're
gonna get your belt ... but you're gonna crawl out of the studio
with it, by the time the test is over.

Best of luck to both of you on your tests!!

C

Chu-Chulain

You may wish to take your diet into consideration, especially the day of the test. Think about what food would help you get through the test with enough energy. Also fluids are really, really, really important.

Personally I would go for the good old banana just before the test, but also plan some good intake of protein a few hours before. Clearly you don't want to eat much 2 hours prior, or you might bring it up! I also would think about a high energy drink, like Red Bull, immediately before the test. This will then kick in about 30-45 minutes in, when the energy level starts to sap.

Lastly it is also important to replenish lost fluids and protein following the test. If you don't your muscles will atrophy and not recover as quickly, which is clearly not a good thing!

Lastly Good Luck!!

BTW did I mention how important fluids are?!

Q

Quick Sand

Bananas are a really good idea. They're known for helping to calm peoples nerves. I think it's the potassium but I can't remember for sure.

I'm a musician and believe me, I know about stage fright. It took me a couple years to get over but eventually it does get better. My biggest tip is to take your time and breath. There's nothing wrong with taking a second to breath and focus yourself before starting a form or a technique etc. It may feel like you're taking forever but YOU'RE NOT. Maybe even turn around for a second on the pretence of fixing your belt or something. (As musicians we fiddle with different parts of our instruments to take a second to breath and focus, predenting to empty water and things like that.)

Good luck to both of you !!! :asian: :cheers:

T

tunetigress

Originally posted by Chu-Chulain
You may wish to take your diet into consideration, especially the day of the test. Think about what food would help you get through the test with enough energy. Also fluids are really, really, really important.

BTW did I mention how important fluids are?!

I totally agree with this excellent advice! :asian:

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i wouldn't say it's anything to be ashamed of....but human nature says you'll be a little embarassed at least. i think you may be building the test up in your mind so much that you may convince yourself that you'll be tossin' the old proverbial cookies. some would say it winds up looking like you work so hard you have to puke because you're an animal.

pace yourself and don't over-exert. i'd try and run through the typical test you might think you will have so you can get a good idea of what your fastest pace might be without overdoing it.

don't feel bad...it's happened to me before with training. back in my soccer/futball days i threw up a couple of times from the heat and mostly dehydration. Like Chu-Chulain said...just get plenty of fluid in you so you can stay hydrated. i don't think you'll have to worry so much about the heat since it's the middle of winter.

good luck by the way...

S

SingingTiger

Personally I would go for the good old banana just before the test, but also plan some good intake of protein a few hours before. Clearly you don't want to eat much 2 hours prior, or you might bring it up! I also would think about a high energy drink, like Red Bull, immediately before the test. This will then kick in about 30-45 minutes in, when the energy level starts to sap.

This may just depend on personal preference and metabolism, but in general I'd disagree with the protein part. Protein is more difficult to digest, so it takes more internal resources to process. I'd stick with complex carbohydrates a few hours before: easier to digest, and if it's long enough before, they should give some additional energy reserves. I'd save the protein for after the test (as Chu-Chulain also mentioned).

I've never had a Red Bull, but doesn't it have caffeine? If it does, take that into account; again, it might just be a matter of preference, but the last thing I'd want is something that could make me jittery during a test. I'd just go for lots and lots of water, and maybe a gatorade-type drink.

Good luck!

Rich

J

Jill666

Protein is necessary- but light. I got up early for my BB test, had chicken vegetable soup and rice. Followed by gatorade and water (half-and-half). Followed by oatmeal- just one bowl, and fruit. More gatorade. I had enough steam to get through. You do need protein, but I'd aviod red meat as it is very heavy.

Also try to pace yourself- going balls out does not mean turning into speedy gonzales. Breathe.

Remember, you wouldn't be testing if you are not ready. If I can do it, believe me, you can too!

:boing1:

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I also would think about a high energy drink, like Red Bull, immediately before the test.

spoonful of honey would be a good energy boost...i'm not a big fan of those "energy" drinks...something about them just seems a little off to me. plus aren't they carbonated? you might get a little bloating from that i would think.

Q

Quick Sand

Often drinks like Red Bull and other "energy drinks" have high levels of caffeine or toureine (sp?). They can be really dehydrating, I'd stay away if it were me.

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Quick Sand
Often drinks like Red Bull and other "energy drinks" have high levels of caffeine or toureine (sp?). They can be really dehydrating, I'd stay away if it were me.

And if you drink enough of the stuff you'll be tachicardic and your heart will beat like mad.

D

Disco

I'm just going to come right out and say this because there is no sweet or sugar coated way to say it.

You've had good instruction, Right?

You know how and what to do, Right?

You DO believe in yourself, RIGHT?

Go and enjoy. Your both more than up for the challenge.

Remember, you can't afford to have that kind of adverse reaction if you should find yourself in a real situation. In truth, you would'nt have the time for that, you would just react without giving it any thought. Mabey after, but not before. Have that same mind set......

C

Chu-Chulain

I think everyone is probably right about the negative side of drinks like Red Bull. It wouldn't be something I would typically use. But.... I got introduced to this drink many, many years ago when I used to go clubbing a lot (as in dancing). Relataing this to the drunk comment, it mixes really well with double Vodkas! It tends to put you on a bit of a high and give you a good rush, just what you need after an hour or so of hard physical exercise and a group of senior people shouting at you! Gatorade is also a good option, but personally I don't really go for the high sugar fix myself.

On the protein issue, no don't eat a 32 oz steak, but your muscles need protein to function properly. So depedning on time of day and personal preference, some bacon & eggs, or chicken, or nuts, or whatever a couple of hours before is a good option.

Personally I always get in trouble with breathing by over-exerting, forgetting to breath and end up hyperventilating!

K

Kenpomachine

Personally I always get in trouble with breathing by over-exerting, forgetting to breath and end up hyperventilating!

Have you come up with a way to bypass this. I have the same problem, but sometimes I get an asthma attack instead of hyperventilating:mad:

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
With all of the worries and nerves up to the test, once you start just relax and have fun. Consider it a show and proving you are ready to go on. Get a little attitude for the test. Usually once you start all of the nerves will go away. It is just like public speaking. If you know your material you will do just fine.

OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

Unfortunately I won't be eating any bananas, I can't stand the things! I'll certinaly eat lots of carbohydrates though, maybe some pasta and potatoes.

I don't think I'll have a problem relaxing, it wasn't a nervous reaction last time, just exhaustion! I'm OK on the techniques, they don't tire me, it's the pad work and sparring that get me. We do lots and lots of padwork, perhaps more than American Kenpo, I'm not sure how much you guys do?

It's very tiring though, especially when you start doing rounds on them. We alwaus have to do 2 minutes hands only, minutes rest, 2 minutes legs only, minutes rest, 2 minutes elbows and knees, minutes rest and then 2 minutes everything at some point during the grading, that really saps your energy! It's worse if we have to spar soon after as well :(

Well, at least I'll know I've earned it if I get it!

Ian.

p.s. someone has made a profile of our club here (should say 'Kempo Ryu' at the top, not 'Kemporu'):

http://www.practical-martial-arts.co.uk/association_profiles/prof_kksa.html

And a profile of Mr. Cawood (who'll be grading me), who heads our organisation here:

http://www.practical-martial-arts.co.uk/practical_kempo/phil_back.html

The man getting palm heeled in the chin in the black and white photo on the right is Mr. Coolican, my sensei, but the photo isn't very clear...

Latest Discussions