15 Taekwondo Blackbelts In MMA

D

Deleted member 39746

it would be doubly intresting to know how many of them have done X amount of practice at ground level. Or if they just started running about the place. Most people who start generally do it in a padded area/relatively safe area and at ground level learning the rolls etc. (and also they teach you the rolls and how to land first and some other safety moves)

Also:

Addendum: i feel the off road mantra of: "Fast as nessisary, slow as possible" Or something to that effect i cant recall it, fits well with parkor. In other words, only go as fast as you need to, and be as careful as you can.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly no expert in Judo type falls but from my clumsy experience I feel knowing how to roll out of a fall has saved me more than a few times. I suppose it is a throwback from my wrestling training back in high school/college.

What is the purpose of the Judo hand slap on the mat?
The slap dissipates some of the energy, changes the timing (it is, to some extent, a tactile-audio cue for the timing), and stops rotation.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The slap dissipates some of the energy, changes the timing (it is, to some extent, a tactile-audio cue for the timing), and stops rotation.

It also makes it sound like you're landing harder than you are, which is useful for demonstrations or entertainment.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As opposed to?

I was hit by a car once. I saw it at the last second and jumped on the bonnet to breakfall on the front window. Then rolled over the roof. Breakfalled again on the ground, slid about 5 meters rolled and stood back up.

It sucked but I didn't die.
I assume you mean "as opposed to what other method of training that". I'm not sure, because I don't know what else is out there. What I do know is that it seems to take a really long time to develop breakfalls to a level where most folks will be able to generalize the principles beyond the drills in the dojo. If I wanted to specifically train people to survive various falls (not throws), I think a more direct application might be faster for skill development.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bout the breakfall front kick? [emoji14]

Actually... that may not be all that effective...
If there was a picture or image with that, I can't see it. In any case, I've no idea what a breakfall front kick is, but it sounds painful. :hungover:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It creates a larger surface area and stops catching the ground and doing collar bones.

And I think hitting the ground hard with your hands sucks a disproportionate amount of force in to your arms. And not your body. Which you can then bleed off by having your arms go back up. Which your body can't do. So that part of the fall is taken away.

But it is a huge guess.

The longer the landing the less damage you take. And I think the slap makes the fall a little bit longer.

I am having a look now. But I think a good breakfall will skip you across the ground or bounce you a little bit.
I think - and like you this involves some guesswork - that part of the point of the slap is to get the hand down a bit before the body, so the fall starts at the hand just a tad earlier than the body, distributing it over time. The "feather falls" found in some Aikido schools take this to an extreme. I'd love to learn those someday.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good video. I did notice how he took care not to 'slap' his foot on the ground.
He also "pulls" the hand slap on the pavement. On hard surfaces, I'll either remove the slap or change it to a reach, so the hand just reaches out and touches the ground (think a soft slap) ahead of the body.

Even on mats, we usually try to avoid slapping with the foot, except when there's rotation in the fall, when we might reach with the ball of the foot to stop that rotation. I've clocked my ankle on a wooden floor during a roll (doing tumbling during a musical - Damn Yankees) in my 20's. Numbed my entire foot for about a minute.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also makes it sound like you're landing harder than you are, which is useful for demonstrations or entertainment.
Yes. When I trained Judo, we were taught the slap, then taught to take it out. At the time (not sure about now), slapping properly during a fall was a good way to make sure your opponent got ippon (full score for the throw), according to my instructor.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
If there was a picture or image with that, I can't see it. In any case, I've no idea what a breakfall front kick is, but it sounds painful. :hungover:
Hehe I was mostly joking, just combining the two. Sorta like a "why not both" situation.

Don't know if you have that tacos commercial where you are, but the family couldn't decide whether to have hard tacos or soft tacos for dinner, and the little girl says "Why don't we have both?" So they released a pack with both here in Aus XD. Reminded me of that haha..
27522f0ad1aab7b08cacfbcd1f8da5a7.gif

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach 3 types of falls.
1. Breakfalls. This allows the practitioner to become more comfortable with falls and then being thrown. The slapping of the mat spreads the force of the body striking the ground into a wider area. Breakfalls are so the thrower can get in good reps and the person being thrown can take more throws. If you view most throws in judo you'll notice few breakfalls with slapping of the mat.

2. Rolling falls. This allows the practitioner to remain attached to the thrower taking them down with you as you are thrown and you use the momentum to take them with you through the rollout and usually ends with you on top.

3. Controlled falls. You'll see this many times in judo matches and in much of what you see of of those who do parkour. This allows the slowing of the body and the fall traveling a longer distance from the initial point of contact.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
3. Controlled falls. You'll see this many times in judo matches and in much of what you see of of those who do parkour. This allows the slowing of the body and the fall traveling a longer distance from the initial point of contact.
This definitely what we practice. I don't think I ever heard it called a controlled fall but that makes perfect sense.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I teach 3 types of falls.
1. Breakfalls. This allows the practitioner to become more comfortable with falls and then being thrown. The slapping of the mat spreads the force of the body striking the ground into a wider area. Breakfalls are so the thrower can get in good reps and the person being thrown can take more throws. If you view most throws in judo you'll notice few breakfalls with slapping of the mat.

2. Rolling falls. This allows the practitioner to remain attached to the thrower taking them down with you as you are thrown and you use the momentum to take them with you through the rollout and usually ends with you on top.

I’ve started teaching those rolling falls, but only as a side note when I visit the old dojo (where I’m usually working with relatively advanced students). I’ll eventually add them to what I teach my students, as they get to a level for them. Those allow more resistance, and force the thrower to pay more attention to balance and position.

I haven’t figured out how to teach the third ones. I figured them out on my own.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here, the British Racing School which teaches apprentice jockey's among others are teaching break falls to hopefully lessen the impact when jockeys come off during races.

Latest Discussions