15 Taekwondo Blackbelts In MMA

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The most dangerous weapon in a streetfight is the ground. The overwhelming majority of injuries and fatalities come from people having their heads slammed on the ground, or injured arms and shoulders from impact. Knowing how to mitigate that is arguably the most useful SD skill of all(aside from situational awareness and being a le to run fast)

Even then, most ground-fighting involves using the ground to block your opponent's movement away from your technique.

D

Deleted member 39746

I don't follow your logic at all here. Just because something is in the curriculum, doesn't mean it should be taught at the low level. It means it should be taught at the appropriate level of the curriculum.

That wasnt described as my logic. but if you dont get my logic you dont get it.

Its pretty easy to understand what i put there as: Fighting involves falling, uncontrolled falling is bad, so you should learn how to control said falling before fighting.

As for the currcilem, jumping moves are done before breakfalls are taught, that is a safety issue in my view. Also, there is no comptency issue here for "white belts" they do breakfalls in judo out the gate and as a starting move, and some old school TMA places have taught it out the gate. And if a krav person can input, thats one of the first things you learn in some of those orginsations. So clearly, people can learn to breakfall pretty easily without prior knowledge on average. No reason not to then.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My breakfalls if I have to do them Judo style ie without being thrown are non existent but when thrown I do a good breakfall if that makes sense. I'm struggling to see how useful a breakfall is in SD other than not being winded or shaken up unduly if you did happen to be thrown.
I tend to agree. In most situations without mats, a Judo-style fall might lessen the fall a bit, but the slap on a hard surface is bad news for your hand (even on a set of 1/2" puzzle mats it's no bueno). I think there's some value in being used to falling, in that we get practice in controlling a fall. But when I've gone to seminars in hotel ballrooms without mats, I've learned more "street-effective" methods of controlling a fall, out of sheer necessity.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the TKD currciulem has jump kicks in it, it should be taught at a low level. My logic for it is just down to you can be knocked down, trip, fall etc in fighting so learning how to fall without adverse injury should be a priority to learn first as a basic safety mechanism.
That seems like reasonable logic for training, but I don't see most breakfalls (the actual technique) as being good for hard surfaces. Some are, but most are properly designed to work with a matted training surface. Learning to control your body in a fall is more important than the specific techniques that are adapted to mats.

D

Deleted member 39746

That seems like reasonable logic for training, but I don't see most breakfalls (the actual technique) as being good for hard surfaces. Some are, but most are properly designed to work with a matted training surface. Learning to control your body in a fall is more important than the specific techniques that are adapted to mats.

General notion of learning to fall and the like is what i was getting at, if any adaptation is needed do that and all that sort of thing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
General notion of learning to fall and the like is what i was getting at, if any adaptation is needed do that and all that sort of thing.

it's not so much the learning to fall but the constant practice of it so you can do it without thinking. I was at a Guide camp a couple of years ago and slipped on the mud ( a staple of Guide camps lol), as went down I automatically breakfalling, the girls who bless them had rushed over to pick me up were very impressed I hadn't hurt myself at all ( at my age too :D) but it's that you need to have not just the 'learning' of it.

D

Deleted member 39746

it's not so much the learning to fall but the constant practice of it so you can do it without thinking.

all the more reason you should start doing it ASAP or it should be one of the few things you start doing as soon as you walk through. :p

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all the more reason you should start doing it ASAP or it should be one of the few things you start doing as soon as you walk through. :p

I'm going to start teaching my granddaughter soon, she is just starting to walk! It's so easy for children to learn, much more difficult for adults which is when I started doing the ground styles.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With that, I can agree, though I don't think actual breakfalls are necessarily the best route to that (they may be - but probably something else would work at least as well). I've taken a couple of ice-related falls in the last couple of years. In both cases, the 30+ years of breakfalls didn't really provide an answer, because the fall in both cases was unlike being thrown or swept in any way I've ever experienced. The 30+ years of falling down (and being used to knowing where my limbs are while falling, for instance) was actually what helped.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tend to agree. In most situations without mats, a Judo-style fall might lessen the fall a bit, but the slap on a hard surface is bad news for your hand (even on a set of 1/2" puzzle mats it's no bueno). I think there's some value in being used to falling, in that we get practice in controlling a fall. But when I've gone to seminars in hotel ballrooms without mats, I've learned more "street-effective" methods of controlling a fall, out of sheer necessity.
I certainly no expert in Judo type falls but from my clumsy experience I feel knowing how to roll out of a fall has saved me more than a few times. I suppose it is a throwback from my wrestling training back in high school/college.

What is the purpose of the Judo hand slap on the mat?

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
Damn, I can answer this one. It's not just Judo. It's breaking your fall if you're falling on your side, like putting your hands out if you're falling on your front. It puts force into the ground so that your vital parts don't put that force into the ground and get messed

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning on this. I have pretty good breakfalls, but I don't see them as anything like necessary from a SD standpoint. Useful? Perhaps, but not nearly as useful as a good front kick, IMO.
How bout the breakfall front kick? [emoji14]

Actually... that may not be all that effective...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
With that, I can agree, though I don't think actual breakfalls are necessarily the best route to that (they may be - but probably something else would work at least as well). I've taken a couple of ice-related falls in the last couple of years. In both cases, the 30+ years of breakfalls didn't really provide an answer, because the fall in both cases was unlike being thrown or swept in any way I've ever experienced. The 30+ years of falling down (and being used to knowing where my limbs are while falling, for instance) was actually what helped.

As opposed to?

I was hit by a car once. I saw it at the last second and jumped on the bonnet to breakfall on the front window. Then rolled over the roof. Breakfalled again on the ground, slid about 5 meters rolled and stood back up.

It sucked but I didn't die.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I certainly no expert in Judo type falls but from my clumsy experience I feel knowing how to roll out of a fall has saved me more than a few times. I suppose it is a throwback from my wrestling training back in high school/college.

It creates a larger surface area and stops catching the ground and doing collar bones.

And I think hitting the ground hard with your hands sucks a disproportionate amount of force in to your arms. And not your body. Which you can then bleed off by having your arms go back up. Which your body can't do. So that part of the fall is taken away.

But it is a huge guess.

The longer the landing the less damage you take. And I think the slap makes the fall a little bit longer.

I am having a look now. But I think a good breakfall will skip you across the ground or bounce you a little bit.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah I was always confused about the hand slap too... to me it just seemed like you were creating EXTRA energy (through consciously hitting the ground) which of course went into the ground, but which wouldn't detract from your body's impact. Could be completely wrong though!