Your thoughts please

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After spending some time here on martial talk i have noticed a wide variety of opinions on belts systems, ecspecially in the Kempo/Kenpo family. By bouncing between threads i have seen different opinons on this subject. So, i have decided to start a thread...

Im asking...

What do you think about the belt system used in their style?

Would they change the belt system if they could?

Whould you do anything to change it if you could?

Whould you even keep a belt system or would you get rid of it all together?

Im curious so let me know.

I will start. I like the idea of belts Because i am a person who likes to have and set goals. So the idea of colored belts to show progression appeals to me but only in that sense. I dont not believe myself superior because i have a higher rank than some people. For all i know those people would make me look stupid when it comes to sparring. As of now i have seen no negatives about the belt system at my school. It is less focussed on rank and more on the understanding and application of what we learn. The ranks are there to show progression.

Thanks to everyone in advance

B

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
belts are an important part of motivating earlier students. they help reinforce hard work and dedication and provide a solid, visible goal.

in terms of the order, color or system within the belts -- that's largely irrelevant.

the various kenpo variants running about all have different approaches to the belts. one isn't better than the other.

it's sort of like adding things up to ten.

doesn't matter if you do 2+6+2 or 5+5 or 1+3+5+1. it all adds up to ten.

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like the belt system that I've worked with.
white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, blue/green stripe, green, green/brown stipe, 3 degrees of brown and then black.

Some people think it's too many and alot of older styles have only a few of those or even just white and black. The reason I like it is that it reinforces the students progress. they actually have a belt as a mile marker on thier journey. In my opinion this helps keep students motivated during the 4-5 year journey to black and helps retain students.

It can be frustrating to see a black belt and know that you are so far away! It can be motivating to see an orange belt that's maybe 1-3 months away...that's an attainable goal.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't think ussd would want to change the belt colors and I don't think that there is really any good reason to change it right now.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the belt system that I've worked with.
white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, blue/green stripe, green, green/brown stipe, 3 degrees of brown and then black.

Some people think it's too many and alot of older styles have only a few of those or even just white and black. The reason I like it is that it reinforces the students progress. they actually have a belt as a mile marker on thier journey. In my opinion this helps keep students motivated during the 4-5 year journey to black and helps retain students.

It can be frustrating to see a black belt and know that you are so far away! It can be motivating to see an orange belt that's maybe 1-3 months away...that's an attainable goal.

I think you are exactly right. The incremental belts between black and wherever you might be can take the occassional frustration out of training.

A grading system also allows a student to know who to ask for advice about techniques without having to interupt the instructor if he is busy. That is the way we do things in my school.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't think ussd would want to change the belt colors and I don't think that there is really any good reason to change it right now.

Actually, when I was with USSD, the Vegas schools were giving stripes for little kids inbetween ranks...you know, to show progress...I can see it now...little munchkins with a yellow stripe on their white belt. Was kind of cute actually. But, it gave little kids the inscentive to keep going and try harder.

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually, when I was with USSD, the Vegas schools were giving stripes for little kids inbetween ranks...you know, to show progress...I can see it now...little munchkins with a yellow stripe on their white belt. Was kind of cute actually. But, it gave little kids the inscentive to keep going and try harder.

I think that's a good thing as long as it's not overdone!

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think that's a good thing as long as it's not overdone!

Master Black explained as "they have the material and aren't ready for yellow belt yet...BUT need the motivation to keep going." Plus, he also stressed it as only for little kids. Older kids just followed the ranks like everyone else, but do something different for them. I know of another USSD location that does a really good homework program for kids. They can't test until they've done all the homeworks for the rank...plus, they get a patch when they complete homework. That makes sure they practice at home.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats cool people i like the imput. I read in the CMA forums that a lot of those systems dont have belts. I just thought it would be cool to see what people thought about it. I agree it is a good thing

B

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I don't know much about how the kids program is run, I've only had experience with the adult program

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Belts, ranks ... why do people need goals. Doesn't it make sense that the lower you set your goals, the easier it is to be successful. Another way of looking at it is if you have low expectations of yourself, it is harder to fail.

OK, I hope you know I'm kidding ... I like the rank system. Most Americans are not 'hardcore' martial artists, ranking only white to black would discourage then, 3-4 years with a single belt. The white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, blue/green, green, green/brown, 3rd brown, 2nd brown, 1st brown, black system is what is used in my dojo ... I like it. Thestripes are brought in at the higher ranks for the fact that it takes longer between those ranks, an intermediate goal so-to-speak.

Me, personally, I would actually hand back my black belt today, as long as was able to keep training. To me, the color belt doesn't matter, it's knowledge and what can be done with that knowledge that matters ... I would tend to believe that would be a thought in the majority amongst people training in the arts today.

Latest Discussions