Yet another question on sparring

F

fringe_dweller

I've heard that "slow sparring" is effective. Can anyone comment? Basically all moves are performed at half the speed. ie if you see a punch coming slowly towards you, you can't step away quickly but must move at a speed relative to it. Each and every move (including footwork) is performed at half speed. Apparently programs you to respond?

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ask this question in the russian martial arts/systema forum. systema does a lot of "slow motion" work, and it's one of the most effective, if not the most effective martial arts i've ever been experienced to.

i'm not going to expound at all on this since i'm pretty green in the system.

OP
Y

yilisifu

In Yilichuan, such training is not uncommon and it's an excellent method. It's important that both participants drop their egos and not try to "hurry" a technique at the end just to score...there's no winner or loser; it's just a training exercise.

OP
F

fringe_dweller

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
It sounds to me like your wanting to try sensitivity drills.

Maybe... if I knew what it was I'd tell you for sure. :)

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by fringe_dweller
I've heard that "slow sparring" is effective. Can anyone comment? .... Apparently programs you to respond?

It is effectiv! The brain can use much energy to concentrat on just that action. The the usage of energy a lot of things happen, and one of them is the "programming".

The problem with going full speed is that many people think they are doing it right, but are missing out, since it's moving to fast. To put it in other words: if you can do it slow the chances are greater that you can do it fast, and the fast version will be much better.

Another positiv part og moving slow is that it gives you the possibility to study alternatives and possibilities.

But I would recommend a good teacher so you can get on the path with the right direction.

/Yari