Yaser Hamdi - Does this bother anybody?

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So everyone knows about the case of Hamdi, right? American-born son of Saudi nationals. US citizen, held as an "enemy combatant" incommunicado for the last three years. Recently, the SCOTUS ruled that he must be either charged with a crime or released.

That's great. Someone finally tightened Bush's leash a bit. But wait! Now there's this:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/09/27/enemy.combatant.ap/index.html

In short: Hamdi will be released (after all, he committed no crime), but he must give up US citizenship, go to Saudi Arabia and not leave the country for 5 years. Among other things.

SAY WHAT!?

I don't remember anything in the Supreme Court decision (or in the Constitution for that matter) that gives the executive branch any kind of authority like this. The SCOTUS said that Hamdi must be released. There was no mention of any kind of negotiations, deals, etc.

Does this bother anybody? If Bush calls somebody an "enemy combatant", in order to get released you have to renounce US citizenship?

This administration is evil. Every time I turn around, believing it can't get any worse, Bush does something even more monstrous. How can anybody with any kind of moral fiber even consider voting for this vicious character?

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
This administration is evil. Every time I turn around, believing it can't get any worse, Bush does something even more monstrous. How can anybody with any kind of moral fiber even consider voting for this vicious character?

Two ways, actually: 1) ignorance, plain and simple; and, 2) rationalizations.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am very much bothered by the Yaser Hamdi situation. Although, I am less bothered by the exile and citizenship denounciation than I am at the fact that he was incarcerated and held in-communicado for so long.

All things considered, the Adminstrations "War on Terror" is not going to well, is it?
Enemy combatants being to be released.
Zacharias Moussawi must have access to Kalid Sheik Mohammed's testimony.
Sections of the USA PATRIOT Act are being ruled unconstitutional.
Over 150 'Illegal Combatants' were released from Camp X-Ray with no charges filed against them.
Spain out of the Coalition of the Willing.
Philippines out of the Coalition of the Willing.
Norway out of the Coalition of the Willing.
Thailand out of the Coalition of the Willing.
New Zealand out of the Coalition of the Willing.
Honduras out of the Coalition of the Willing.
Dominican Republic out of the Coalition of the Willing.

Just makes you wonder what the Bush Administration is getting right?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. Hamdi was captured in Afghanistan. It is unclear what he was doing there. The military claims he was fighting with the Taliban.

Yaser Hamdi was born in Louisiana. That makes him a U.S. citizen. Once this was verified, he was transferred from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba to a military prison in North Carolina (I think), where he was held without right to councel for more than two years.

When he was very young (4 or 5) his Saudi parents move back to Saudi Arabia.

OP
Q

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
Wasn't Hamdi found in Afghanistan during the war there?

I agree though, setting these requirements about renouncing citizenship is absolute BS.

As far as I understand, being found in Afghanistan wasn't a crime. I believe he was turned in for a bounty by Afghan fighters. That, apparently, was enough for the Bush administration to hold him and many others ever since with no charges being filed, and no access to the court system.

Latest Discussions