Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]5YEEgejwVEw[/yt]

Sifu Joshua Brown demonstrating the Traditional Yang Family 13 Saber for students of Philadelphia Tai Chi / Spirit Wind Internal Arts Society.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Is that Traditional?

I am asking a serious question because it may be what the Yang family teaches today, I don't know.

The jian and dao forms I do are quite different and there is no saber like he is using in the flavor of Yang I do.

Lastly, and I am hesitant to say this... he is not that good..... sorry

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't say right now, but have a former client who runs the local Yang Family center, I'll try and get a hold of him.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I just did a bit of research; I did see Yang Jun doing this form on YouTube so I am guessing it is traditional.

Also after watching Yang Jun I did see some similarities to one of the Dao forms I learned from my sifu so it is likely they are one in the same. Either the current Yang family changed it or my sifu's sifu changed it slightly.

Since the current Yang family head (the oldest Yang Zhenduo) learned from his older brother Yang Shouzhong and Yang Shouzhong's teacher was his father Yang Chengfu and my Sifu's sifu (Tung Ying Chieh) learned from Yang Chengfu and was a senior to Yang Shouzhoung and Tung Sigung also studied Wu/Hao style with Li Xiangyuan it is hard to say who changed it.

However I do beleive the current Yang family changed it from a Dao to a thier Saber. But even there I am not 100% sure

Latest Discussions