Yahoo: UFC targets China; White gives props to Fertitta

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
02-05-2010 05:25 PM:You may think he's a boisterous loudmouth and too pushy, but it's that aggression that's helped Dana White break down barriers for the UFC and mixed martial arts. But even he admits that some cultures just don't jive with his up front style. That's why the addition of owner Lorenzo Fertitta, as a full-timer with the UFC back in June of 2008 was so important. White got ripped for calling the Fertitta news a big announcement and now he's proud to say his buddy is responsible for future journeys to Australia and Abu Dhabi and even bigger, television penetration for the UFC into China, India and South Korea. The promotion just linked up with China's SOHU.com. A representative from the website said it has two billion registered users around the world.

"when I said Lorenzo was coming over here, I couldn't do what he did," said White. "It's impossible. You can't do this many fights and fly to China and all these other places. And do what he did."

White marvels at the speed with which international penetration is growing.

"How fast he's done this international stuff is staggering. I had a 10-year plan. It might be four years now."

Today, Gray Maynard and Amir Sadollah took folks from SOHU.com through a UFC tutorial at the UFC Training Center, the home of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality series. Here is SOHU's UFC page.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions