Yahoo: One-legged Lawler knocks Manhoef stiff

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
01-30-2010 11:48 PM:In one of the more bizarre fights in recent MMA history, Robbie Lawler, who appeared to have seriously injured his right leg, drilled Melvin Manhoef with a short right followed by a left as the Dutchman was falling to the mat (3:55 mark).

Manhoef was out cold even though he seemed to out-land Lawler 30-to-1 over the course of three-plus minutes. Jorge Ortiz saved the downed opponent at 3:33, as Manhoef wasn't even moving at that point.

Lawler showed zero offense and allowed Manhoef to tee off on his lead leg. He was limping badly and his leg was being kicked into the air. Just the before the magical punch, Lawler's leg went flying again, but he came across with the big right and down went Manhoef.

"I feel really good. This guy is a killer," said Lawler, who admitted Manhoef was putting a beating on his leg. "I knew I would have a chance to catch him. His hand seems to drop when he goes to finish somebody."

This was a much-needed win for Lawler (19-5), a former EliteXC middleweight champ. He was upset by Jake Shields in June and his reputation suffered. Manhoef (24-6) is a vicious striker but he's one-dimensional, and yet Lawler entered the fight as a minus-180 underdog.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions