Yahoo: Couture's son put to sleep but allowed to fight on

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
03-29-2010 11:10 AM:

Ryan Couture is ready to follow in his father's footsteps but his climb up the ladder in the amateur ranks hasn't been easy. On Saturday, Randy Couture's son was embroiled in some controversy against Sean Bollinger at a Tuff-N-Uff show in Las Vegas. At the end of the second round, Couture was caught in a triangle and went limp at the bell (5:50 mark). Bollinger jumped up and celebrated. Rightly so, but then the referee stepped in and said he was put to sleep after the bell. There's no way the referee would know that. Even watching the replay it appears that the bell sounded and Couture slumps over simultaneously.

"I think I won that fight," Bollinger told the Las Vegas Sun. "My leg is a little banged up, but he went to sleep in the second round and I think I landed more punches than he did,"​
Bollinger, who trains in Southern California with Eddie Bravo at 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu can put a feather in his cap saying he put a Couture to sleep:
"I had him in the triangle for the last 15 seconds. I was just squeezing. He just held on to the very end of the round. I let go when the bell rang and he was out; his eyes rolled into the back of the head. thought I had the fight, but I guess not."​
Couture, 28, fought a spirited third round and the fight was called a draw. He didn't like the decision but sounded greatful he got a chance to fight on.
&ldquo;He did have me asleep as the bell rang,&rdquo; Couture said. &ldquo;It&rsquo;s not every day you get to pass out and then still fight another round.&rdquo;

Couture is now expected to turn pro.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions