Yahoo: Bouncer turned fighter: Rampage's project, Jay Silva is ready

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
01-11-2010 03:16 PM:

Quinton Jackson gets a bad wrap. At least that's what Jay Silva will tell you. "Rampage" busted chops and sometimes appeared to be uncaring as a coach during Season 10 of "The Ultimate Fighter" but the truth was, he's just a sore loser. Jackson is a pretty solid guy who has given Silva, a chance at his dream. Silva faces Chris Leben tonight at Ultimate Fight Night 20. With the help of Jackson, Silva's road to the UFC is simply ridiculous.

Back in 2007, Silva, a bouncer in Manhattan, decided to attend UFC 78 in Newark, N.J. He got some plum seats and by chance was sitting behind Jackson. He asked for a photo with Jackson, who blew him off while watching one fo the fights. Silva, steaming from Jackson's snub, got to chatting with one of the fighter's friends, who was also in attendance. Silva told him to come to his New York City club anytime he wanted. Jackson's friend took him up on the offer and out of nowhere he pulled up to the bar with Jackson, Dan Henderson, Michael Bisiping, Arianny Celeste and a huge crew from the UFC. No longer distracted by the action in the cage, Jackson and Silva got to talking and the bouncer mentioned that he trained MMA and was a fighter.

"[Jackson] said 'give me your number and I'll take you out, if you want to train [when you come to California],'" Silva to Cagewriter. "But you know everybody talks a lot of stuff. I was like, that is never going to happen."

Jackson meant what he said.

He called a few months later while shooting Season 7 of "The Ultimate Fighter" and invited Silva out to Las Vegas. They hung out for a week and eventually Jackson brought Silva on as a training partner for his fight against Forrest Griffin at UFC 86.

Silva made his pro debut in early 2008 and when the UFC needed a middleweight for Ultimate Fight Night 19 in September, he took a fight against C.B. Dollaway on three weeks notice. Silva lost that fight against Dollaway but at times destroyed the veteran fighter on the feet. Tonight's fight has a real shot at fight of the night honors. Chris Leben, enters the match on a two fight losing streak and always goes for broke.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.