WSL VT

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
General curiosity here...given recent threads and discussions:

1) is WSL VT a "stripped down version" of what YM taught WSL or what WSL passed down?
2) does it contain "the usual six"? (i.e. 3 hand forms, dummy, pole, knives?)
3) how long did he learn from YM? Was he personally instructed in all six components by YM himself?
4) lots of folks seem to think it's interpretations of WC are "different"...any ideas as to why?

Thx in advance for any input...

Last edited:

OzPaul

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can only answer question 2.)

WSLVT contains the 3 empty hand, dummy and 2 weapon forms. When i was practicing the WSL method we focused a lot on chi sau and partner drills and a lot less on forms.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
1) is WSL VT a "stripped down version" of what YM taught WSL or what WSL passed down?

----No. WSL VT is "complete".

2) does it contain "the usual six"? (i.e. 3 hand forms, dummy, pole, knives?)

---Yes.

3) how long did he learn from YM? Was he personally instructed in all six components by YM himself?

---I don't know how long, but yes he was personally instructed in the entire system by Ip Man.

4) lots of folks seem to think it's interpretations of WC are "different"...any ideas as to why?

---WSL had a background in western boxing prior to learning Wing Chun. He was also into fighting the challenge matches in his youth. These challenge matches weren't like a UFC fight. There were some "gentleman's rules". He "adjusted" his Wing Chun to be more efficient in this kind of environment. I think he made his Wing Chun into more of a "boxing" system, hence the emphasis on training the punch and going right up the middle. I'm sure others will disagree. That's just my impression. I have never studied the WSL system directly. But I have been around awhile, paid attention, and seen a lot.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
1) Stripped down? No. Demystified? Yes.
2) Yes, although I think their knife form has twelve sections instead of eight.
3) Pretty sure it was 1953-ish until his death.
4) I dunno. Seems to follow all the WC principles to me.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think he made his Wing Chun into more of a "boxing" system, hence the emphasis on training the punch and going right up the middle. I'm sure others will disagree. That's just my impression. I have never studied the WSL system directly. But I have been around awhile, paid attention, and seen a lot.

You haven't paid that much attention! WSL doesn't go "right up the middle" ( ! ) and he quit Western Boxing.

The entire system is centered upon unique punching methods. He would've had to rework the entire system from step-1 if it were not, but his system is too coherent, when compared to the disjointed collection of ideas of many others, for that to be the likely case. This is the first observation people make when they come to WSLVT from other lineages. Every piece fits together in logical progression further developing the same idea to a simple end-goal.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think he made his Wing Chun into more of a "boxing" system, hence the emphasis on training the punch and going right up the middle. I'm sure others will disagree. That's just my impression. I have never studied the WSL system directly. But I have been around awhile, paid attention, and seen a lot.

Where did you get this impression of WSL VT? Why do you think boxing is a system which goes "right up the middle"?