wrapping your stick when it frays

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This was discussed before, but i couldn't find the thread.

I think most people use good ol electrical tape or duct tape. Other people just throw the stick away. What do you do when your favorite stick starts to go?

I've used this thing called 'gamma" tape thats used for repairing tennis raquet heads (that scrape the ground). good things about it - has more grip than electrical tape, it also feels a little better when contact is made (it doesn't have that padded stick feel).

Andy

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Paul. I use the elect. tape and I've had good results.

Mike

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use good old hockey tape. It works really well. It's flexible and it adheres nicely to the contours of the rattan. I don't use the tape for gripping part because the stickum from any tape comes off on my hands or starts to tear my callouses off.

I don't toss the sticks out and instead I trim them down into dagger substitutes or small sticks for my daughter to hit the tire stack with. :)

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, it also depends on the extent of fraying. If the stick is just beginning to fray, then I tape it. If it is already blistering out, I don't bother.

LabanB

Yellow Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I use brown packing tape. Not as dense as duck tape, and the adhesive does not smear as readily in my experience. Also, you dont develop a "dead" section to the stick whereby there is a momentary dull thud as the sticks connect.

Bill

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wrap the stick with boxer's hand tape, similar to fabric tape used in the medical field, even before I start banging with it to extend the life.

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I use clear filament reinforced packing tape. It is indestructable and lightweight. It doesn't produce that dull, soft thud and feel that electrical tape and duct tape produce. It isn't as heavy either. I have found that people who train with sticks wrapped with layers and layers of electrical tape tend to beat the crap out of their training partners sticks because of the weight and the soft impact.

Latest Discussions