Would you label this a spinning back kick or side kick or hybrid?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it apears to be a spinning side kick.

in that you spin and then side kick

turning your back on an opponent, is exyremly risky if he has anticipated your move, you can generally get a away with it once, next time there is a good chance he will get you as you turn

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
it apears to be a spinning side kick.

in that you spin and then side kick

Screenshot_20201216-143312.png

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ive no idea what your trying to say with those picures?

It looks like a back kick when I gogle back kick taekwondo, that is with your back facing the target.
Screenshot_20201216-143312.png
Screenshot_20201216-144700.png

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
you dont appear to be getting any great momentum from the spin, which makes it pointless other than catching them by suprise, which only works the first time

I can't side kick that fast so the momentum has to come from somewhere. There is no distinction in Taekwondo between a turn and a spin. "spinning" refers to any technique where you turn your body around.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't side kick that fast so the momentum has to come from somewhere. There is no distinction in Taekwondo between a turn and a spin. "spinning" refers to any technique where you turn your body around.
depends what you mean by fast, from syart to finish, the kick takes a long time,, longer i would sugest than just kicking, so slow, have you got significantly more kenetic energy in the kick, by virtue of the longer distance and time, no not really

if youbwant to call it a back kick, thats fine with me, i think its a side kick with added spin

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
depends what you mean by fast, from syart to finish, the kick takes a long time,, longer i would sugest than just kicking, so slow, have you got significantly more kenetic energy in the kick, by virtue of the longer distance and time, no not really

if youbwant to call it a back kick, thats fine with me, i think its a side kick with added spin

The entire sequence takes longer but the actual leg motion has a higher velocity when I turn, so it can't be meaningless to do the turn or else the velocity would be equal

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I’d call that a spinning/reverse side kick from a Kukkiwon perspective. With a back kick, the knee of the kicking leg would face down toward the floor. If the knee chambers out toward the side, it’s a sidekick.

We don’t use the term spinning since that implies a circular motion. We want back kick to be a direct straight line to the target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The entire sequence takes longer but the actual leg motion has a higher velocity when I turn, so it can't be meaningless to do the turn or else the velocity would be equal
does it have a higher velocity? , it may have more acceleration, but thats not necessarily the same thing

velociity is time devided by distance, the kick is both traveling a long way and taking a long time, when compared with a shorter kick divided by a shorter time

the divining factor would be have you got more of you body mass tranfered into the kick, and the answer is maybe, but not that much, its easy to judge by kicking something, that will give you some feed back and allow you to judge if the elivated time is worth the pay off.

you may of course get an a different answer kicking a bag, which sort of wait for you and a person who may move coz you given them ample warning

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
does it have a higher velocity? , it may have more acceleration, but thats not necessarily the same thing

velociity is time devided by distance, the kick is both traveling a long way and taking a long time, when compared with a shorter kick divided by a shorter time

the divining factor would be have you got more of you body mass tranfered into the kick, and the answer is maybe, but not that much, its easy to judge by kicking something, that will give you some feed back and allow you to judge if the elivated time is worth the pay off.

you may of course get an a different answer kicking a bag, which sort of wait for you and a person who may move coz you given them ample warning

The push off with the supporting foot and support from my back create a greater speed even without a fast spin. When I do it front or side facing, the back does not fascilitate the push off as much

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I’d call that a spinning/reverse side kick from a Kukkiwon perspective. With a back kick, the knee of the kicking leg would face down toward the floor. If the knee chambers out toward the side, it’s a sidekick.

We don’t use the term spinning since that implies a circular motion. We want back kick to be a direct straight line to the target.

But my torso has not fully turned over to side kick, so thats why I view it as a hybrid kick

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
But my torso has not fully turned over to side kick, so thats why I view it as a hybrid kick

Are you intentionally throwing a hybrid kick? If so, why? If you have a good reason and it’s solid, I’m not sure it matters what kick it is.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you intentionally throwing a hybrid kick? If so, why? If you have a good reason and it’s solid, I’m not sure it matters what kick it is.

It doesn't matter beyond the fact that I don't know which one it is. So this is would be an interesting poll to conduct.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To me it looks very similar to the KKW back kick illustration in many regards.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you intentionally throwing a hybrid kick?

As I recall,.my intention was to do a spinning side kick but my body did not feel the need to turn over fully..Then I learned that spinning side kicks t least in some Systems is when you have turned over the torso exactly into the position you fire off regular side kicks, and I clearly haven't done that. I used to think the that the foot formation was the defining feature but that was not the case

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I posted it with the label spinning back kick on another forum

First reply: "indeed it is", from a Karate expert.

This is starting to look controversial:)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The push off with the supporting foot and support from my back create a greater speed even without a fast spin. When I do it front or side facing, the back does not fascilitate the push off as much
speed is the time between two points , point a) starts when you start the turn, not when you release the leg,,

if it was, a round kick you would have considerable more energy in it, but your not, your spinning and then throwing a side kick, it a complely different vector, to the one for you momentum .

the back kick, is to turn and force your leg out knee down, that not what you ate doing, you just starting your side kick whilst facing the wrong direction,

if you feel this improves it, thats ok with me

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
speed is the time between two points , point a) starts when you start the turn, not when you release the leg,,

if it was, a round kick you would have considerable more energy in it, but your not, your spinning and then throwing a side kick, it a complely different vector, to the one for you momentum .

the back kick, is to turn and force your leg out knee down, that not what you ate doing, you just starting your side kick whilst facing the wrong direction,

I said that I was strictly referring to the leg motion from lift off to point of impact.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Karate terminology for what constitutes a back kick may not apply in the context of Taekwondo.