WKF Karate Championships Streaming Live on YouTube Starting Tomorrow

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
the rules seem to favor striking the head... not a good thing. I can fight a lot longer with an injured head then an injured chest...or knees... but then I am not into the sport aspect of karate at all.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, well as you seem to suggest, a sport where the goal is to attack the knees probably wouldn't go over well. And participants' careers would be extremely short-lived.

I would suggest looking at exactly as it is -- a sport. Do you criticize basketball because you can't punch people?

I would also like to say that, even in the realm of self-defense, sometimes a measured response is the better response. It's not always best to immediately try to maim your attacker for life.

SenseiRuss

White Belt
Reaction score
"Yes, well as you seem to suggest, a sport where the goal is to attack the knees probably wouldn't go over well. And participants' careers would be extremely short-lived."

Kyokushin karate does allow vicious kicks to the legs/knees and it has "gone over pretty well". The rules may, possibly, state that you can't kick to the knees — I'm not sure— but plenty of brutal kicks do land on the opponent's knees in Kyokushin kumte competitions.

-Russell

Latest Discussions