Wish me luck!

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I work at a public middle school (6th-8th grade) and was recently approached by the people who run the school to start a martial arts club for the students. This is to held every Friday during school hours for 2 months.
Every student in the school must be in a club during that time. There are lots of clubs: bowling, soccer, jewelry making, etiquette, board games, and more.
Each club has 8-10 students in it, but mine has been alotted 25 due to the massive number of kids who requested it. One of the teachers at the school has experience in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, so she will assist me with the large number in the club.
We had the first meeting 3 days ago and it went great. The kids were beyond excited when I covered martial arts history, some Japanese language, did a kata, then tossed around my assistant. Several of the kids had never heard of Bruce Lee, tang soo do, belt colors, or many of the things we take for granted in our little martial arts sub-culture.
We then went to the garden area of the school and worked out cardio-kickboxing style for about 20 minutes. That was a bit sad. You can tell that several of these kids have NEVER done ANY kind of excerise in any way, shape, or form.
Still, they all behaved and were obvously excited.
I have a general curriculum where we will cover martial arts or Asian culture for about 10 minutes, do basic techniques, then work on something specific for that day. That is set up over an 8 week schedule.
Obviously, I am stressing that there is to be absolutely no contact of any kind between the students due to liability and parental concerns.
Still, you have to give kudos to the school for thinking outside the box and trying to give the kids something fun and unusual to look forward to.

AoG

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This could be lots of fun. :D

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting - sounds like a great opportunity. Why do these kids all have to be in a club on Fridays?

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good Luck with the club, and kudo's to the school district for not being so afraid of litigation that they squelched it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best of luck....

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow! You have a greater opportunity then I have ever gotten inside a school! Glad to see they were open to it. Have fun!!

buddah_belly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dude...I wish they would've had that when I was little. That sounds awesome!

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with most, what a fantastic opportunity, not only for you, but for the kids as well! Keep us up to date as the class moves forward.

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
. Why do these kids all have to be in a club on Fridays?

Every student in the entire school has to be in a club Friday from 2pm-3pm. There are about 20 different clubs such as bowling, soccer, jewelry making, board games, etiquette, school newspaper, yearbook staff, uno madness, dog-lover club, and more.

AoG

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This might even help some of the students do better in class. I wish you all the luck in this journey

Latest Discussions