Wing Chun Stance 50/50? 30/70? 20/80? Weight on Feet?

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm a beginner and reading the book Tao of WC. In our first class, we're of course learning
Siu Nim Tao, I think it's called. Square stance, 50/50 weight on both feet.
At some point do we go to a different stance? Like maybe left foot forward and 30% weight on front foot and 70% on back foot? That's what the book is talking about, being grounded and firm on the back foot, with the front foot able to fast front kick. Thanks. Sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't find it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think if you're a beginner you should just listen to your instructor and not bother with the books. All teachers have different ways even in the same style and by reading different stuff it'll just confuse you at this point

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a beginner and reading the book Tao of WC. In our first class, we're of course learning
At some point do we go to a different stance? Like maybe left foot forward and 30% weight on front foot and 70% on back foot? That's what the book is talking about, being grounded and firm on the back foot, with the front foot able to fast front kick. Thanks. Sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't find it.

I actually agree with HH

The only way you will gain enough of a grounding/understanding to make heads or tails of any answers you might get to these questions is to put in some legwork in the system.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing Chun Stance 50/50? 30/70? 20/80? Weight on Feet?
Yes.

As a beginner do what your instructor has you do. There will be different aspects to footwork, weight distribution, stances as you learn more about yourself as well as you learn more about the system. Different instructors teach differently and have their reasons to do so. Discussions as this should be with the ones who are guiding you through your beginning stages.

Latest Discussions