Wing Chun, round 3, or is it 4

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Started Training Wing Chun again, got another version of Sil Lum Tao, slightly different from the first 2 I learned. But like the last teacher, still in the Ip Man, Leung Sheung line.

And nothing against my other teachers, but this teacher, IMO, is the best I have had so far. Only problem is my time is very limited, I was hoping to get ot class a few more times this summer, but I went to Montreal and came back with Covid. Hoping to get a class ot 2 in before my youngest goes back to school, because that is when my schedule gets really tight. But I have been told to show up when I can and I am in no rush.

I have not forgotten taijiquan, still working my way back after knee replacement, have a long way to go there too, but asI said, I am in no rush.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have to admit, I enjoy training Wing Chun more this time than before. I need to try and get to class the last 2 weeks I have in the summer...before my schedule gets really tight. I'd have gone more but a trip to Canada and Covid curtailed things a bit.

This version of Sil lum tao is different from the previous 2 versions I learned, but it has me really looking into the various parts of the form. Also the book "Wing Chun Foundations Siu Lim Tao" is helping.

One of my previous versions is pretty much the same I have seen from Ip Chun. And as I train this version and work to figure it out, get more in-depth into it, I want to go back and look at the previous version as well to compare and learn

I will do what I can to get to class through fall winter and spring, but I don't hold high hopes for being able to get there much. But hopefully come summer 2023 I will be able to get to class 2 to 4 times a week.

I have not forgotten taijiquan, I am working my way back through the forms I trained before the knee surgeries, and I am in a push hands and applications class in September and October. And hoping to get a push hands group going again. But I am very surprised to say that I think Wing Chun may be supplanting Xingyiquan.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have to admit, I enjoy training Wing Chun more this time than before. I need to try and get to class the last 2 weeks I have in the summer...before my schedule gets really tight. I'd have gone more but a trip to Canada and Covid curtailed things a bit.

This version of Sil lum tao is different from the previous 2 versions I learned, but it has me really looking into the various parts of the form. Also the book "Wing Chun Foundations Siu Lim Tao" is helping.

One of my previous versions is pretty much the same I have seen from Ip Chun. And as I train this version and work to figure it out, get more in-depth into it, I want to go back and look at the previous version as well to compare and learn

I will do what I can to get to class through fall winter and spring, but I don't hold high hopes for being able to get there much. But hopefully come summer 2023 I will be able to get to class 2 to 4 times a week.

I have not forgotten taijiquan, I am working my way back through the forms I trained before the knee surgeries, and I am in a push hands and applications class in September and October. And hoping to get a push hands group going again. But I am very surprised to say that I think Wing Chun may be supplanting Xingyiquan.
What lineage or branch of Wing Chun are you studying? Is it a Yip Man lineage, or one of the lesser known mainland branches?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, once the school year started I had to stop Wing Chun due to the distance I had to drive t teh guan and the time it took, when I had no time. Kids are on school break I have 2 lessons set up for the next couple weeks. So I'm still plugging away at it.

Also been doing work with a teaching student of William CC Chen on taijiquan applications. Been to this guan before and it is much closer

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Another WIng Chun class today...and it was..well....awesome. Went over a lot of things, applications in Sil Lum Tao, turning drills, and a whole lot of terminology. Sadly it is likely the last class for awhile, school starts again this week and I will have to pick up the youngest from school. Hopefully get a few opportunities between now and June, but June should allow me to get there on a regular basis.

Latest Discussions