Wing Chun Practitioner asked to be on Ultimate Fighter TV series???

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yea i have seen a few of Sean Obasi's fights his one to look out for in the future.

IrishMonk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've seen his fights and honestly never saw any WC being applied... If he has ever formally trained in WC, I just can't see it.

IrishMonk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would love to see someone represent TCMA in the UFC though... much like lyoto machida has represented Karate/TJMA.
I think there just are not enough WC etc schools out there that train for contact sports... or full contact at all. I'd like to see someone maybe from the EBMAS system in the UFC...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would love to see someone represent TCMA in the UFC though... much like lyoto machida has represented Karate/TJMA.
I think there just are not enough WC etc schools out there that train for contact sports... or full contact at all. I'd like to see someone maybe from the EBMAS system in the UFC...

Yeah, I'd like to see EBMAS train someone for the ring/cage too. Their emphasis seems to be more self-defense and street rather than competition, but they've got some tough guys who hit hard and are willing to deal with grappling and groundwork, so IMHO they should be able to make the transition to sport fighting and do well.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to see EBMAS train someone for the ring/cage too. Their emphasis seems to be more self-defense and street rather than competition, but they've got some tough guys who hit hard and are willing to deal with grappling and groundwork, so IMHO they should be able to make the transition to sport fighting and do well.

Don't know if you remember Scott Baker or not. He competed in UFC II, during the early days of MMA competition when the UFC had very little in the way of rules. He did an article in the now discontinued online magazine 'Wing Chun Teahouse', talking about the experience and what he felt was needed for a Wing Chun practitioner to make a successful transition to MMA, using Wing Chun. Interesting read.

He has a website with the article. Here is the link:

http://www.mainewingchunkungfu.com/article 19.htm

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. There's some good articles on that site.
I like the skills vs drills article especially. The learning a new language analogy is a good one and quite fitting.
I remember the first dream I had in Thai, I woke up thinking WTF!!! LOL

Latest Discussions