wing chun in movies

kickflip

White Belt
Reaction score
hi if you've ever seen wing chun in movies, would u say its acurrate to how it is for real? maybe not for the palm strike sending guys flying lesson lol but the general use of the moves yeah. i 1st herad of wing chun from a movie the prodigal son. later saw more wing chun related films like ip man and warriors 2. i think prodigal son has the best wing chun scenes.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. A typical street fight or self-defense encounter is over quickly and the moves used are relatively simple. Neither of those factors make for exciting fight scenes in movies!

OP
K

kickflip

White Belt
Reaction score
yeah i had the feeling that it was a little over the top but still based on wing chun yeah. i used to do karate before but lost intrest and theres something about wing chun that i like. i also do long distanced running aswel.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Older wing chun movies such as prodigal son do a great job of showing some more mainland style wing chun.
While trends in kung fu cinema and choreography have changed, you can still notice the difference when compared to the Ip Man movies.

OP
K

kickflip

White Belt
Reaction score
theres something about that simple but effective style, its kind of cheeky in a way lol like u cant touch me. I would like to use kicks aswel for the work out and flexibility but I rarely see kicks in wing chun, its like they dont want to risk it and stick to low kicks instead.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
theres something about that simple but effective style, its kind of cheeky in a way lol like u cant touch me. I would like to use kicks aswel for the work out and flexibility but I rarely see kicks in wing chun, its like they dont want to risk it and stick to low kicks instead.
===

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wing chun jas plenty of kicks
Yuou what you need

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wing chun has plenty of kicks

Absolutely!
WC legs/kicks are practically a system all by themselves. Anyone who says WC has little or no legs/kicks needs to look closer...study harder...stay longer...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

As a rule, you are correct. WC favors low, close and efficient kicks over higher, longer range kicks. Some sifus have imported more long-range high kicking methods, but that's not really what we are about. If I wanted to do that kind of kicking, I'd probably cross train in a system specializing in it. But the fact is, I'm quite satisfied with the challenges presented by the WC I already train!

OP
K

kickflip

White Belt
Reaction score
theres no wing chun locally, about over an hour by train. its awkward for me as I like wing chun. locally we have karate, tae won do, kickboxing and wrestling.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Would you guys consider the choreography in Rapid Fire to be a hollywood representation of WC? I remember the fight scene between Al Leong and Brandon Lee and thinking it was very different than any fight scenese I'd seen up to that point.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would you guys consider the choreography in Rapid Fire to be a hollywood representation of WC? I remember the fight scene between Al Leong and Brandon Lee and thinking it was very different than any fight scenese I'd seen up to that point.

It's been years since I've seen it so I checked out the fight scenes on youtube to see what you were referring to.
To me, the fight scene between Lee and Leong looked like someone trying to imitate WC, rather than someone actually trained in it.

Having said that, I really liked Brandon Lee in that movie, the fight scenes were unique and fun to watch.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's funny you mentioned that movie. That's what I first thought of when I seen this thread ..I just watched it recently. That's probably why.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely!
WC legs/kicks are practically a system all by themselves. Anyone who says WC has little or no legs/kicks needs to look closer...study harder...stay longer...
I learned a kicking form "Sap Lop Gerk Fat". From my first Sifu. Anyway does your system have this form? We spent a lot of time on kicking. Funny cause now I only use one kick two ways. The front push or nut kick. I don't like to kick much anymore. Physically it's harder these days.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I learned a kicking form "Sap Lop Gerk Fat". From my first Sifu. Anyway does your system have this form? We spent a lot of time on kicking. Funny cause now I only use one kick two ways. The front push or nut kick. I don't like to kick much anymore. Physically it's harder these days.

Hi jake. I'm not familiar by that term you mention...but perhaps by another term. Can you describe it more? Is it a form performed in the air or on a dummy or...?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had never heard of it either.
I found this on youtube.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I believe what Brandin Lee was using in Rapid fire was a combination of Muay Thai and Jeet Kune Do, which is why it looked a little like Wing Chun

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi jake. I'm not familiar by that term you mention...but perhaps by another term. Can you describe it more? Is it a form performed in the air or on a dummy or...?
Me either;). I just know it as the kicking form. I looked through my old notes to get the technical name for it . Figured i might impress someone with the Chinese terminology.:D

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe what Brandin Lee was using in Rapid fire was a combination of Muay Thai and Jeet Kune Do, which is why it looked a little like Wing Chun

It made for good entertainment whatever it was. I like the movie. For a late 80's early 90's movie it was pretty good. I also remember I liked Perfect weapon. IK it's Kenpo but it's got those
quick handed action packed fight scenes in it like Rapid fire.

Latest Discussions