Wing Chun and weapons

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you just stick to the traditional weapons of WC/WT, or do you apply WC/WT concepts to your personal favorite weapons?
If you do, how do you go about it?

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe in China when Wing Chun was first invented WCfighters probably used more than just two weapons. I could be wrong But in my humble opinion I think they probably used about ten different weapons if not more.

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Didn't mean to post this thread twice. Browser didn't refresh and I thought it didn't add. oops.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you just stick to the traditional weapons of WC/WT, or do you apply WC/WT concepts to your personal favorite weapons?
If you do, how do you go about it?

I'm still learning on this one. In WT you don't learn the (Leung Ting) Bart Cham Dao until Master rank, and you pay a lot of bucks. I have just learned a few movements, and I practice our version of the Luk Dim Boon Kwan. Needless to say, I still have a long ways to go with that too.

On the other hand I have been working with Eskrima (Latosa and Torres-DTE systems) for a while and I feel that Wing Chun thinking lends itself to all kinds of weapons, as well as empty hands. But, depending on what you are holding, the outward appearance will change.

To respond to Yoshiyahu's hypothesis, I'll bet he's right about the early ancestry of WC/WT. I suspect that WC/WT represents a gradual condensing of essentials from ancestral forms that were more complex and "Shaolin-like". But, the essence of what we now recognize as Wing Chun is all about simplicity. So, unnecessary elements hve been pruned away, letting us focus on the core. Still, it would be a poor Wing Chunner who could not apply these core principles to other kinds of situations...including those where other weapons are involved.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very Interesting response. An find this Thread intriquing...

Is there anything wrong with a Wing Chun guy fighting with a Broad sword of Two edge sword?

Is not Wing Chun if he uses those weapons?

I'm still learning on this one. In WT you don't learn the (Leung Ting) Bart Cham Dao until Master rank, and you pay a lot of bucks. I have just learned a few movements, and I practice our version of the Luk Dim Boon Kwan. Needless to say, I still have a long ways to go with that too.

On the other hand I have been working with Eskrima (Latosa and Torres-DTE systems) for a while and I feel that Wing Chun thinking lends itself to all kinds of weapons, as well as empty hands. But, depending on what you are holding, the outward appearance will change.

To respond to Yoshiyahu's hypothesis, I'll bet he's right about the early ancestry of WC/WT. I suspect that WC/WT represents a gradual condensing of essentials from ancestral forms that were more complex and "Shaolin-like". But, the essence of what we now recognize as Wing Chun is all about simplicity. So, unnecessary elements hve been pruned away, letting us focus on the core. Still, it would be a poor Wing Chunner who could not apply these core principles to other kinds of situations...including those where other weapons are involved.

Latest Discussions