Wing Chun and Shaolin Weng Chun

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hmmm. I didn't realize that Chan Yiu Min's descendants use the characters 永春 (eternal spring) and not 詠春 (chant/praise the spring). Being in a branch of the Yip Man lineage, we use the latter.

There's a lot of this kind of thing that goes on. Since Wing Chun was taught through word and action, rather than through written texts, those students who later commited their learning to written notes often used different characters with similar sounds but different meanings. Then, when the characters are Romanized, the confusion is only compounded. Just consider the terms Siu Nim Tau, Siu Lam Tau, Sil Lum Tao.... But, hey it's all Wing Chun, or Weng Chun ..or Wing Tsun, or is that Tjun? Txun, Tshun,Tchun??? Oh, just forget it!

You forgot yǒng chūn :uhyeah:

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer the term Yuoang Xvtjshun, personally. It makes me feel more ~cultured~ unlike you unenlightened peasants! :D

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Update, as of now I have left my school to form my own lineage of Wing Chun known as Daai Gou Jyun Yuoang Xvtjshun. Tap dancing and Sticky Toenails are a regular part of our cirriculum that goes back to the Seventh Elder of the Eastern Shaolin Temple, Daai Gou Jyun. If you are interested, you must give me your Social Security Number and the keys to your garage.

~Great Grandmaster Marnetmar

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm. I didn't realize that Chan Yiu Min's descendants use the characters 永春 (eternal spring) and not 詠春 (chant/praise the spring). Being in a branch of the Yip Man lineage, we use the latter.

There's a lot of this kind of thing that goes on. Since Wing Chun was taught through word and action, rather than through written texts, those students who later commited their learning to written notes often used different characters with similar sounds but different meanings. Then, when the characters are Romanized, the confusion is only compounded. Just consider the terms Siu Nim Tau, Siu Lam Tau, Sil Lum Tao.... But, hey it's all Wing Chun, or Weng Chun ..or Wing Tsun, or is that Tjun? Txun, Tshun,Tchun??? Oh, just forget it!

You forgot VING Tsun. And yes, the capitalization makes it different from Ving Tsun.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You forgot VING Tsun. And yes, the capitalization makes it different from Ving Tsun.

O yeah. The organization I belong to uses the spelling Ving Tsun. That's 'cause of a lawsuit that occurred when the organization split a number of years back. So we just went back to the romanization used by Grandmaster Yip, since that's our heritage.

Personally I work with a lot of Latinos, so I'd like to use something like ...Huingchon. As in....

"Orale, cabron, Our Huingchon es Chingon!"

Spanglish Kuen Kuit anyone?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
O yeah. The organization I belong to uses the spelling Ving Tsun. That's 'cause of a lawsuit that occurred when the organization split a number of years back. So we just went back to the romanization used by Grandmaster Yip, since that's our heritage.

Personally I work with a lot of Latinos, so I'd like to use something like ...Huingchon. As in....

"Orale, cabron, Our Huingchon es Chingon!"

Spanglish Kuen Kuit anyone?

More posts that belong in Comedy Club!

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Great comments.
I'm not sure myself... but what I gather from my exchanges with different lineages is that those lineages who practice Weng Chun, are practicing an older style of the art that has been kept alive by the Hei Ban. From what friends of Hei Ban tell me, the older style Weng Chun does indeed contain more animals. I find this consistent with the legend of Wing Chuns origin story where several Masters gathered to create a Military style to overthrow the opposing government. I was also told by a few influential people that today's modern Wing Chun is a result of Dr. Leung Jan's prowess and progressive development. I was told that Leung Jan had an affinity for the snake and crane elements and was so good at it, that he focused on those. And while other forms of Wing Chun existed during this time, the popularity of Leung Jan was such that the Wing Chun of that time bottle necked to a point of Leung Jans method being the most popular. And while all this is just conversation, I believe it to be possible as Ip Man VT is one of the most popular practiced today.
The best I have been able to make of it all...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The best I have been able to make of it all...

The best that any of us can do at this point is offer conjecture. There just isn't enough hard evidence to verify any of the origin stories further back than Leung Jan's time. Personally, I find these stories fascinating, but I take none as gospel.

Actually, I worry more about where WC is going in the future than about where and how it began. Grandmaster Yip and others gave the current generation a great fighting system. What will we pass on to the next generation?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Actually, I worry more about where WC is going in the future than about where and how it began. Grandmaster Yip and others gave the current generation a great fighting system. What will we pass on to the next generation?

I think that can be applied to just about every CMA out there these days.....and for some that was the thought about a generation ago

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The best that any of us can do at this point is offer conjecture. There just isn't enough hard evidence to verify any of the origin stories further back than Leung Jan's time. Personally, I find these stories fascinating, but I take none as gospel.

In my eyes, it's easier to understand where we are going once we have clarity of where we've been. And so I treat it like a scientific hypothesis. All inclusive ideal ever-changing with new challenging information. Without grasping it in some form, the next generation will have even more difficulty finding their truth. I believe this might be the reason Ip Man decided to write his history of VT. Well, that is what has been echoed by his sons in the least.

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
永春 and 詠春 are the same thing

永春simplified

詠春 traditional

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Incorrect.

永 = Eternal

詠 = Praising

咏 = Praising simplified

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Whoops soz my traditional is learnt from reading jin yong and gu long lol. I'll research my stuff next time

Latest Discussions