Wielding two Katanas

Jameswhelan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that?
I'm not amenable to discussing the riai of Kukishin ryu, sorry.
The reason I ask is, well, that's exactly what it looks like. Uchidachi approaches in seigan, shidachi pushes forward in seigan, forcing uchidachi back into jodan… so far, everyone is right hand dominant (orthodox grip, if you will), using two hands. Uchidachi strikes down, and shidachi deflects upwards (still right handed), then releases the right hand to strike around to the side of the body with a single hand (left-handed) strike… but, even then, it's not left hand-dominant, as the hand is exactly where it would be (at the kashira) when holding with both hands… while slightly retreating.
Uchidachi backs up into Tenchijin while shidachi adopts what looks like a gyaku sutemi no kamae. Both swordsman have adopted a two-handed, right hand dominant grip again. Uchidachi strikes down, shidachi evades to the right with nagasu, and cuts to the neck from the side. All of this is also done with both hands, right dominant. Both partners move back to finish the kata.
This narrative, visual approach is the 90s Ninjutsu way to understand martial arts. That approach may work fine for xkan but won’t facilitate understanding what underlies Kukishin ryu and what makes it work.
...Yagyu Shinkage ryu... Yagyu Shingan methods... do feature a true "left handed" approach, which I believe is what Ken was saying he hadn't seen… and is not the same as the Kukishin kata you brought up.
I've never trained in Shinkage ryu or Yagyu Shingan ryu, so I can’t comment on what they teach. I drew Mr Morgan's attention to an example of what Kukishin ryu has to say about using the sword in the left hand. I'm certain there is a multiplicity of ideas about left handed swordmanship(s), but I'm not going to be drawn into quibbles about whether or not what you believe you understand about Kukishin ryu's Hidarikatate Nagi fits what you think of as:
a true "left handed" approach

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't forget Musashi would do anything to win a fight, any weapon or tactic was acceptable, and he was over 6 feet tall in a land of people 5'3".....

I read somewhere that he threw his wakizashi like a spear on a few occasions......Whatever you gotta do!

Latest Discussions