Why the hostility?

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of the things that impressed me about MT, and about The Study in particular, was the higher level of discourse than I'd found most other places. And since I was active in the election process, believe me, I heard a lot. In contrast to what I'd experienced elsewhere, most (not all) of the posters here backed up their opinions with some kind of evidence, and the discussion was mostly civil. The exceptions to this were not well tolerated by the MT community, no matter what the political persuasion.

Well, I've been busy the past week or two, and I haven't visited as often. Now that I've returned, I'm shocked by the tenor of many of the discussions. Post-election, there is MORE, not less, name calling, and people seem to feel freer to post their opinion as fact, without any evidence to back them up.

Why is that? Do people think it doesn't matter any more? Do people who supported the president think that somehow the dissenters are supposed to change their opinion and rally to the Bush agenda? Do people who supported Kerry think it's appropriate to be nasty to Bush supporters?

What's going on?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sore losers and even sorer winners... maybe??? Who knows?
It was a very close race and now we will have four years of ??? :idunno: Good? Bad? More of the same? :idunno:

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's true.... I think a lot was on the line - or perceived to be - in this last election, and so the reactions to the results are even more polarized. One person bemoans the degredation of American ideals, while another rejoices in flying the banner of morality.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If there is a thread where it's crossed the line, please hit the report to mod link and let us know.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right after the election there were a number of posts calling the Kerry supporters here whiners...though no real whining had taken place. There was a strong response to it.

Things are settling down. I agree it got heated there for about a week...but I wouldn't say the name calling was particularly vicious.

Regards,

Steve

OP
Phoenix44

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
If there is a thread where it's crossed the line, please hit the report to mod link and let us know.
Unfortunately, it's not just threads...it's real life, too. *sigh*

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't do anything about real life....I think thats why I'm online so much....

Rynocerous

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very good points, there seems to be a lot of this going around. We should all come to grasps that the election is done and there is nothing that we can do to change the outcome. We have to live with the out come for the next four years unless Bush makes a very big no no.

Cheers,

Ryan