Why so impatient?

BlueVino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand something for myself, and I'd like to hear your thoughts. If you'll indulge me a flow-of-consciousness, I'd like to brainstorm a little...

I hear the questions a lot, online and in class... "are there videos on YouTube of XYZ form/technique" or "is there a book that will teach me whatever..."

I've never learned anything worthwhile to my martial arts from a Youtube video. Sure, I enjoy them, they're fun to watch, and I can sometimes respect the skill of the practitioner, but in terms of learning, it's all been from Sifu, or my martial siblings.

We've all felt the frustration of not being able to do something well, and wanting to do it better, but why do we look outside for answers? Shouldn't I trust that my Sifu will teach me what I need to know at the appropriate time? Who am I to think that I know more about teaching kung fu than my Sifu does?

I can't imagine a disciple questioning the pace of his training.

Does the motivation for questions like these boils down to impatience? If it is, it's draped in a veil of disrespect. Is it reflective somehow of a student's commitment one way or another? Could it just be enthusiasm?

Do you have any thoughts on the subject?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We've all felt the frustration of not being able to do something well, and wanting to do it better, but why do we look outside for answers? Shouldn't I trust that my Sifu will teach me what I need to know at the appropriate time? Who am I to think that I know more about teaching kung fu than my Sifu does?

If you find a good sifu, I agree that you should defer to his judgement and look to him first for answers to questions about your art. But, on the other hand I have no desire to take on the role of disciple again. I've been there and put up with that. From my perspective, a curious, questioning mind is a good thing, as is the desire to learn.

Now that I am older, I am indeed more patient. Recently, my instructor asked me if I cared to work on certain advanced techniques. I replied that I would rather polish what I'm doing now before moving on, so I don't get confused by too much information. I've finally learned to appreciate the beauty of "a little idea".

Now I should note that my instructor is my kung-fu brother, not my sifu. So we've known each other nearly 30 years and talk quite freely and openly. Yet even within a sifu-todai relationship, I feel that there should be openness and the student should feel free to ask questions. I've personally known instructors who's rigidity, formality and slow pace of instruction truly stifled their students.

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Tae Kwon Leap is not a path to a door but a road leading forever towards the horizon."

Last edited by a moderator:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just from the perspective of someone who likes to read those books, it's not about getting ahead on training. It's more wanting a prepackaged collection of notes on the techniques to help refresh my memory when I'm training outside of class. Also, reading thoughts in a book I've also heard in class for some reason really helps me retain the concepts.

It's not always about thinking you know better than the instructor. Some times it can simply be a supplement. The grander stuff's lost on a beginner or an intermediate even if they read about it anyway.

gardawamtu1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For some it could be impatience, but some want to see this because of their enthusiasm and for inspiration. Some just like to research.

bekkilyn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I asked my Sifu about books/DVD's for my Tai Chi class when I first started. I have a difficult time going home and "just remembering" stuff and I wanted to be able to practice some outside of class since we only meet once a week.

He did recommend a book to me that is fairly close to what we do and it has been of great help to me in remembering some of the forms we did in class, despite the differences.

I recall reading something a while back that there are three basic methods of learning - aural (ex. hearing a lecture), visual (ex. reading text), and hands-on. However, each person does not have equal strengths in all of these. Some are better at aural, some are better at visual, and others learn best by hands-on.

For me, I retain more from reading and then practicing what I've read. If I first learn something hands-on, I'll remember it much, much better if I can read about it later. Strict aural is the most difficult learning method for me because other people tend to talk faster than I'm thinking. Does it mean that I can't learn any other way? No, it's just that I retain and comprehend more of what I've learned if I can see it in text. Aural is most helpful to me *after* I've already read about it.

Video demonstrations can be extremely useful if they are of the same or similar techniques learned in a class, especially if you are the type of person who needs to see something demonstrated 523984739874 times before it "clicks".

It's not always about impatience. Oftentimes, it's just our individual differences in learning and retaining information.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me I've always been a Lian Gong book maniac! Always hit up the China town shops N.Y., S.F. Toronto wherever.

But it wasn't so much to get ahead of my training although at times it may be good to know what's ahead in your training so as to prepare, though it's definitely not a pre-requisite.

But for me I had a huge interest in all things to do with CMA as well as other topics, so just out of curiosity I would buy the books and study them regardless if they were from my system or level or not.

But it's important to note that most of the time the authors of those books, vid's are Martial Artist as well that have a lot of experience and insight to offer. I would say it's good as long as it doesn't subtract from your Sifu's teaching's or methods. As it may be more self destructive than helpful if that is the case.

So I guess take it for what its worth, but don't forget that each Sifu has specific methods that they implore in there teaching syllabus. So I would say take what your Sifu has, but each of us only have a part of the picture anyways. "So other pieces will be helpful as long as you have a complete piece from your Sifu 1st."

But if your happy with what your doing & don't really have an interest in other thing's than that's great as well...

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
IMHO,

Your Sifu teaches you WC as sort of a blue print and then you're supposed to make the art "your own'' from that. So what is so wrong if at some point you find something outside of your kwoon that may add something to your personal WC that's relevant to you?

My Sifu and I are physically very different. He's is a small Asian man and I am a stocky westerner. So what works for him may not work for me and visa-versa. So, I cannot do Sifu's WC exactly as Sifu does it.

I didn't think we were supposed to be carbon copies of one another anyhow.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hell yes impatient. i wana be able to spar with the advanced students. i wanna touch hands with all of my peers and be able to perform to an acceptable level,to not embarrass myself and let my sifu and my friends in the club down...
i want to learn it all now,no yesterday......but then reality kicks in and i realise i,m 43, ive been doing this all of 19months and there is no way i can learn it all and quickly...... and as many of you have just said i,m becoming more patient and less fustrated by my seeming lack of progress.

in any of my pursuits i always liked to know everything i could about that endeavour so i read i watch i research i practise as much as i can to try to speed up the process but only because i enjoy being like that.
i have built up a big folder of notes that i scribble down after everyclass.some are drills some are just a phrase sifu used so i rememeber,some are things i saw a fellow student do or did to me and i liked it so i want to remember it.i also have a big section on stuff i pasted from you guys-all helpful.-i re read and re copy these notes to try to assimilate them and also to condense the paper pile!
and i agreew ith almost every other comment posted on this thread-its all of the above too!
i watch the youtube at work at lunch i try to emerse myself in to it all at a level i can almost hope that osmosis will feed me the skill i need.the girls at work dont look at me like i,ve gone mad anymore they are used to me standing in a corner waving my hands around in some flowing dance or stepping wierdly backwards and forwards.:angel:
but i am enjoying the journey and i really do realise its a long one.
long may it continue
matsu

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
hell yes impatient. i wana be able to spar with the advanced students. i wanna touch hands with all of my peers and be able to perform to an acceptable level,to not embarrass myself and let my sifu and my friends in the club down...
i want to learn it all now,no yesterday......but then reality kicks in and i realise i,m 43, ive been doing this all of 19months and there is no way i can learn it all and quickly...... and as many of you have just said i,m becoming more patient and less fustrated by my seeming lack of progress.

in any of my pursuits i always liked to know everything i could about that endeavour so i read i watch i research i practise as much as i can to try to speed up the process but only because i enjoy being like that.
i have built up a big folder of notes that i scribble down after everyclass.some are drills some are just a phrase sifu used so i rememeber,some are things i saw a fellow student do or did to me and i liked it so i want to remember it.i also have a big section on stuff i pasted from you guys-all helpful.-i re read and re copy these notes to try to assimilate them and also to condense the paper pile!
and i agreew ith almost every other comment posted on this thread-its all of the above too!
i watch the youtube at work at lunch i try to emerse myself in to it all at a level i can almost hope that osmosis will feed me the skill i need.the girls at work dont look at me like i,ve gone mad anymore they are used to me standing in a corner waving my hands around in some flowing dance or stepping wierdly backwards and forwards.:angel:
but i am enjoying the journey and i really do realise its a long one.
long may it continue
matsu

You have the disease really bad, just like the rest of us kung fu junkies. Or, if you like, kung fu nerds. But don't worry, it doesn't get better, but your skills will improve. Sounds like you're stuck with the dreaded drunken monkey on your back for life. For your redemption (or is that surrender), you need to do 3 empty hand forms, 2 pak sau drills, and 1 chi sau session.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Patience is a virtue !
New students coming to class to try can keep us repeating basics from time to time, but practice makes perfect, which is fine with me.

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
videos are a great way to get an understanding of something from a different perspective. I am constantly told that my video tutorial on Chinese Boxing has helped them with understanding something that their instructor couldn't do face to face. so don't underestimate the power of instruction from any source. here is an example of the fuk sau which is not an easy subject to tackle on a basic level. also make sure to read the blog description at the bottom half of the page.

http://www.thechinaboxer.com/2009/09/23/fuk-sau-basics/

Latest Discussions