Why oh why do they do this?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the lads who trains with us and is supposed to be a fighter keeps having arguments, very personal ones with his partner on Facebook. Why? the latest one has kicked off today, she's accusing him of sleeping with a girl, named btw, in his granny's car of all things, it just went down hill form there. this means not only is it embarrassing to meet in him the club but he will pull out off his next fight again, his record is 0-0-7, so I despair anyway, my instructor and I have had words over that record, I think he should fighting at least for a while. I could 'de-friend' both him and his partner but it still leaves me the question of why they should have such private arguments on such a public place. It's the same as these people who go on television shows and air all their dirty linen in public, what is it with these people? While there is a sort of morbid fascination watching chavs spilling all it surely says something about our society today doesn't it? this programme is on every morning on one of the five non satellite mainstream television channels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AIUdpZMXq8&feature=related

Shakes head! Incidentally Jeremy Kyle is a BJJ purple belt which is probably the only really interesting thing rofl.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some people just need drama in their lives, and they need other people to know it. It makes them feel important and interesting.

Jeremy Kyle - it's cheaper than a properly qualified therapist. Painful viewing though.

I wonder what effect that kind of 'hungry for attention' outlook has on martial performance. Does everything turn into a big drama? Is he a drama queen or a rule breaker? Do big burly security men have to be called in?

Somehow I have way more respect for the people who just get on with it, take everything in their stride and don't draw attention to themselves unnecessarily. They're the ones who actually turn out to be interesting.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We watch 'Jeremy' at work sometimes in the middle of the nght when it's quiet, we just howl with laughter sometimes which is actually inappropriate considering some of the problems, we all shout out in unison Jeremy's catch phrases lol! but really, these people would be far better getting on with it as Gnarlie says, the only time I think it may be worth it is when it's a drink or drugs problem with the parents literally at their wits end, rehab isn't easy to get into here so perhaps you get so desparate you will do anything for your children even humiliate yourself on television, those people I do feel sorry for.

The 'fighter', our lad, who has his arguments on FB is a mouse quite frankly, has absolutely no fighting spirit, no 'oomph' even. Nothing at all, loves training but can't fight his way out of a paper bag!

I do think that all this 'have it all out' on the telly stuff does give people the wrong idea about us though, lord I hope it does and it really isn't us!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do people post this stuff?

Because we've managed to really blur the line between public and private. We've got "reality tv" where we're voyeuristically watching lots of very intimate moments in people's lives.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I believe that some are so public because they want to publicly humiliate the person and expect everyone to agree with them. Others, I think are so boring and get so little attention in their lives, they need to manufacture drama just for the human interest eliment. Truth be told, these people have nothing going for them.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just watched a bunch of Jeremy Kyle on Youtube as I don't see much English language TV here and it reminded me of home. Unfortunately, after watching so much, it's reminded me of home really not in a good way. I have to remind/convince myself that these people are in the minority, otherwise I'll never visit again!

By comparison, instead of this kind of show in Germany, they have scripted reality TV. Yes, like Big Brother or '15 and pregnant' but with a semi improvised script. It's bizarre, and I can't pretend to understand the appeal.

I'll take a bit of Jezza over that anyday, even if it does make me cringe over my home. Compelling viewing somehow though, especially the one with the headbutt. Interesting what the judge had to say over the assault:

Last edited by a moderator:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some people just need drama in their lives, and they need other people to know it. It makes them feel important and interesting.

Somehow I have way more respect for the people who just get on with it, take everything in their stride and don't draw attention to themselves unnecessarily. They're the ones who actually turn out to be interesting.

That said it all for me right there. Saved me some time and effort. Thanks.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You don't have to unfriend them on FB. There's a lovely feature which lets you turn off what they post, a little of it or a lot. Then you just don't see it and remain blissfully ignorant.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You don't have to unfriend them on FB. There's a lovely feature which lets you turn off what they post, a little of it or a lot. Then you just don't see it and remain blissfully ignorant.
True, but it doesn't send a message. I have and would unfriend them simply because I (like most people?) rarely care about other people's fabricated drama and FB isn't a venue to air it. I would also make sure they know I did it and why. FB is for talking about MA and cycling and cars...:)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True, but it doesn't send a message. I have and would unfriend them simply because I (like most people?) rarely care about other people's fabricated drama and FB isn't a venue to air it. I would also make sure they know I did it and why. FB is for talking about MA and cycling and cars...:)

It's not my job to teach lessons or send messages. I have enough to deal with trying to ride herd on my own life.

In other words, if a person is successful in injecting their drama into your life, they win. "Teaching them a lesson" just invites more of it, in a never-ending cycle. As to what Facebook is 'for', I think it is different things for different people. I like it, I use it, but I haven't got time for the drama; unless it's something I enjoy scrapping about.

I just turned off the FB posts of some friend of Bob's who thinks I'm a Ron Paul aluminum-hat wearer and was launching into full rant about it. He can continue to rant; I'm happy not seeing it. No need to teach him a lesson; life already has and will continue to do so.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not my job to teach lessons or send messages. I have enough to deal with trying to ride herd on my own life. Then who's is it? Which one of us would have any hope of growth without outside influence? Which one of us taught ourselves all we know?

In other words, if a person is successful in injecting their drama into your life, they win. No argument. I'm not even suggesting to "play"; just inform.

"Teaching them a lesson" just invites more of it, in a never-ending cycle. Sometimes people actually do learn. We all start out with a self absorbed pov, but as we get older we tend to grow out of it. 'Course, to your point, some never do (like Bob's friend below). Being a people watcher and someone who believes strongly in self evaluation, I've noticed most people have no idea of the impact they have on others. More over, no inclination or desire to try. Sometimes though, when people get a glimpse of their behavior from the outside looking in, it has an impact. If they don't, hey, you tried. If one has the ability to be authentic in approach while providing enough sentitivity to promote an open mind, it's amazing what we can achieve. Personally, I'm still working on the "sensitivity" part. :)

As to what Facebook is 'for', I think it is different things for different people. Actually, that was meant to be lighthearted. Of course they do.

Okay, Bill. You're making me sound philosophical. Stop now.

I just turned off the FB posts of some friend of Bob's who thinks I'm a Ron Paul aluminum-hat wearer and was launching into full rant about it. He can continue to rant; I'm happy not seeing it. No need to teach him a lesson; life already has and will continue to do so.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'm with Bill. While I will try to set a good example, the only people to whom I try and "teach lessons" are my kids. By the time we reach adulthood, we are responsible for our own spiritual and emotional growth. Period.

Besides, who am I to act like I'm the measure for appropriate behavior? Before you try to teach me any lessons, you'd better damn sure have your house in order. And in return, I won't be self righteous enough to presume to teach you any lessons until I do the same. Glass houses and all of that.