Gift buying

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's the holiday gift buying season again, and once again, I am up against the gift buying conundrum: how much is enough, for each person? To add to the confusion, most of the people I buy gifts for have birthdays in December or early January - my father, 12/9, my sister, 12/18, my step-father, 12/24, my mother, 1/8.

And then, there's my mother's favorite line: "don't spend your money on me - buy something for yourself"... and we all know how well that works. I can just imagine what would happen if I really did buy something for myself instead <shudder>.

And, of course, there's the joys of asking people what they want. My sister is easy; we don't talk to each other (her choice) so she gets a card - more than I get from her most years.

My father couldn't care less - for years, I've been going to see him, or he's come to see me, and then we go shopping. He finds something he wants, and I buy it; I find something I want, and he buys it.

Then there's my mother... who asked for a digital scale - like I could get away with just that if I wanted to. And my step-father, who wanted a set of socket wrenches to replace some that were stolen... except that when I called my mother to see if a particular set was suitable, they'd gone shopping and now he wants a tool bench - brand and model number specified, price fully known... what's the point of that? On top of which, when I called about the socket set, which was on sale at Sears for $70, I was told that that was way too much to spend on him, and I should get the tool bench for $30... this, for a man who married my mother when I was 27, and cosigned my first mortgage when I was 29, who bought my first computer (at a cost of $1600, in the early '90s)... But how much is enough?

Does anyone else have these problems, or is just me?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone else have these problems, or is just me?

I've been enough of a rolling stone that I've missed the bulk of these problems, Kacey, but not so many that I've emerged scot-free from them, and on the basis of my own experience, the only conclusion is: it's hopeless. No matter what you do, some or all of your kin will find fault with it. There's no way around it---you can't win....

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been enough of a rolling stone that I've missed the bulk of these problems, Kacey, but not so many that I've emerged scot-free from them, and on the basis of my own experience, the only conclusion is: it's hopeless. No matter what you do, some or all of your kin will find fault with it. There's no way around it---you can't win....

Sadly, I'm afraid you're right... still, at least now I know I'm not alone!

Latest Discussions