which martial art... help

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to start practicing some kind of martial art, but i am a short and heavy man (need to lose some weight). Which one do u think is the "best" for me ?

Thanks alot

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to start practicing some kind of martial art, but i am a short and heavy man (need to lose some weight). Which one do u think is the "best" for me ?

Thanks alot
what is available to you? It's silly to give you a style recommendation if the closest school teaching it is 4 hours away

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depends on what you are looking to get out of the martial art.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Make a list of all the dojos in close proximity to you. Go watch several of their classes. (if you have time to join a forum - you have time to watch a lot of classes at schools)

Pick the one you think will be most comfortable for you and go have a ball.

Welcome to MT, bro.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Instead of looking for an art than fits you, look (also) for a teacher that fits you
Can you explain that further, what criteria are you using to judge if a teacher fits you?

Skaw

White Belt
Reaction score
Can you explain that further, what criteria are you using to judge if a teacher fits you?

Not only what he teach, but how s/he teachs, and also having same ideas about basic things. In my case, not being a "hothead", willing to answer your questions, how often they spar, being ********-free, etc

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not only what he teach, but how s/he teachs, and also having same ideas about basic things. In my case, not being a "hothead", willing to answer your questions, how often they spar, being ********-free, etc
Interesting, I like that (apart form the sparring). Thanks.

Spinoza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you are just looking to lose weight, the most aerobic exercise I've gotten out of a martial art has been in a Capoeira class, followed closely by Judo. But, as others have said, visit some classes and find a place where you will be comfortable. In my own highly biased and unobjective opinion, Judo instructors tend to show a willingness to work with people of all body types and ability ranges. If you want to lose weight in your marital arts class, you'll need a school where they do aerobic exercise as part of their training; if they work more on technique and expect you to get fit on your own time, then ask yourself if that works for you.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much any art will benefit you to some degree. Look at what's around you within a reasonable distance. Check their schedules to see if it matches yours. Watch some classes and see what you feel comfortable with. One of the most important things is that you find something you will be comfortable with training in for a long time. If it's too far or inconvenient, or if you don't enjoy it, you're likely to quit.

Good luck.

deflect->atemi

White Belt
Reaction score
In your search, I would disregard someone like this instructor who pads their resume with questionable content, and makes students look like AstroTurfers/Sockpuppets.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions