Where's PETA??

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lion Mutilates 42 Midgets in Cambodian Ring-Fight
BBC NEWS

An African Lion much like this is responsible for the death of 28 Cambodian Midgets
Spectators cheered as entire Cambodian Midget Fighting League squared off against African Lion
Tickets had been sold-out three weeks before the much anticipated fight, which took place in the city of Kâmpóng Chhnãng.

The fight was slated when an angry fan contested Yang Sihamoni, President of the CMFL, claiming that one lion could defeat his entire league of 42 fighters.

Sihamoni takes great pride in the league he helped create, as was conveyed in his recent advertising campaign for the CMFL that stated his midgets will "... take on anything; man, beast, or machine."

This campaign is believed to be what sparked the undisclosed fan to challenge the entire league to fight a lion; a challenge that Sihamoni readily accepted.

An African Lion (Panthera Leo) was shipped to centrally located Kâmpóng Chhnãng especially for the event, which took place last Saturday, April 30, 2005 in the city’s coliseum.

The Cambodian Government allowed the fight to take place, under the condition that they receive a 50% commission on each ticket sold, and that no cameras would be allowed in the arena.

The fight was called in only 12 minutes, after which 28 fighters were declared dead, while the other 14 suffered severe injuries including broken bones and lost limbs, rendering them unable to fight back.

Sihamoni was quoted before the fight stating that he felt since his fighters out-numbered the lion 42 to 1, that they “… could out-wit and out-muscle [it].”

Unfortunately, he was wrong.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really don't know what to say to this. If it's true, it's truly a bizarre turn of events. Cambodia, huh? I don't know whether to call this a sad comment on humanity, or give them a Darwin Award. As for PETA getting involved, it doesn't sound like they need to. The Lion fared alright.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds of the martial artist who decided to fight a lion or tiger at a zoo a few years ago. Can't recall where, could have been Australia.

Anyways, the outcome was pretty predictable. Unless you have some weapons, you are pretty much lunch.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, clocking in at 12 minutes it sounds like it was a .... short fight. :rolleyes:

Our primative/barbaric instinct to see bloodshed can be dated back to ancient times. It's kinda the same spectacle that the Romans watched in their vaunted games.
This isn't surprising that it's still going on today.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm, instead of PETA, I think PETM (People for the Ethical Treatment of Midgets) shoulda been the ones called :rolleyes: .
I know this may sound a bit tasteless, but GAWD I'd a loved to see that on video.

C

Crom

The bbc don't know anything about this bbc article, http://lionvs40midgets.tripod.com/ this guy does though.

Sorry for shattering that one but it leaves the argument open, could 42 midgets beat a lion? Thats quite a few little people but then lions are kinda mean.

:)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
The people of PETA are probably sitting back laughing somewhere. Now, had the midgets somehow won, THEN it would have been a travesty in their eyes...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
:roflmao:

Mostly that Ender posted this trash. What were his comments on the Newsweek story? Dan Rather?

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I might just be a bad person, but I probably would have paid to watch that fight.

Seriously though, this is fake right?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ginshun said:
Seriously though, this is fake right?
Yes. ... Follow the link in Crom's post to read why and how it came to be.

P.S.

The link referenced by Crom has been disabled by Tripod. I'm sure it was getting a ton of hits.

The story goes, these guys in England were arguing about who would win such a fight. One of them posted the 'fake' BBC news article to convince his friend that the fight had occurred. Seems they forgot the whole 'www' thing means 'World Wide Web'. They never expected anyone to pickup on their little private joke. The link was, supposedly, only listed on his AOL IM away message a couple of times.

I guess it reached a tipping point.

Fake !

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Terrible thing to do to a lion.

I think PETA is out picketing a KFC in South El Monte, California.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
raedyn said:
michaeledward is correct. This is phony. This fight did not happen. Ender's post was quoting this link http://www.newturfers.com/mwf/attach/38/355838/BBCNEWSWorldLionMutilates42MidgetsinCambodianRing-Fight.htm notice how it's not a bbc website.

Brilliantly done spoof, though.
It doesn't surprise me that this whole story was bogus. It had a bit of the "Urban Legend" quality to it. Besides, i'd have figured most of the midgets would have run away, after a few got dismembered. Remember, you don't have to outrun the lion.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ender said:
Lion Mutilates 42 Midgets in Cambodian Ring-Fight
BBC NEWS

An African Lion much like this is responsible for the death of 28 Cambodian Midgets
Spectators cheered as entire Cambodian Midget Fighting League squared off against African Lion
Tickets had been sold-out three weeks before the much anticipated fight, which took place in the city of Kâmpóng Chhnãng.

The fight was slated when an angry fan contested Yang Sihamoni, President of the CMFL, claiming that one lion could defeat his entire league of 42 fighters.

Sihamoni takes great pride in the league he helped create, as was conveyed in his recent advertising campaign for the CMFL that stated his midgets will "... take on anything; man, beast, or machine."

This campaign is believed to be what sparked the undisclosed fan to challenge the entire league to fight a lion; a challenge that Sihamoni readily accepted.

An African Lion (Panthera Leo) was shipped to centrally located Kâmpóng Chhnãng especially for the event, which took place last Saturday, April 30, 2005 in the city’s coliseum.

The Cambodian Government allowed the fight to take place, under the condition that they receive a 50% commission on each ticket sold, and that no cameras would be allowed in the arena.

The fight was called in only 12 minutes, after which 28 fighters were declared dead, while the other 14 suffered severe injuries including broken bones and lost limbs, rendering them unable to fight back.

Sihamoni was quoted before the fight stating that he felt since his fighters out-numbered the lion 42 to 1, that they “… could out-wit and out-muscle [it].”

Unfortunately, he was wrong.
I'm so glad this is fake. This would have been the Darwin Award of all Darwin Awards...and after reading something like this, I would have been convinced that homo sapians are not only bound for extinction, but probably deserve it. Sometimes things are so stupid that they blow away the lower limit and leave a giant gaping black hole.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While this one is false, never underestimate the stupidity factor. The Romans did worse and in the grand scope of history (considering our existance is just a blip on the screen) that was just yesterday.....

T

TonyM.

I'd be impressed if the PETA folks got in the ring with a lion.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Besides, i'd have figured most of the midgets would have run away, after a few got dismembered. Remember, you don't have to outrun the lion.
You just have to out run the other midgets. :ultracool PETA wouldn't be interested in this one unless the lion had been injured...or maybe a rare mouse was forced to be corner man for the lion in case of splinters or an endangered sponge was used to cool off the lion between rounds.

OP
Ender

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
A hoax it may very well be...But I would pay money to see a Midget Martial Arts fighting team.

Latest Discussions