When You started What was

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you started the martial arts, what was the hardest thing for you about the art you decided on, in the first few months of practice.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i was scared to go and more scared to not go........the first few months were the toughest thing i ever did.....i shed a lot of blood, covered in bruises....i thought it must be illegal. it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
The hard physical work outs and the competitive nature of our Dojo was and still is a challange for me.

Also for a while I was really self conscious and didn’t want to look like a right dork, but then I realised everyone else was so worried about what they are doing no one is even noticing that my kicks looked spastic

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it was same-side striking, i.e. kick right, punch right. Reverse punches were rare and this was the opposite of what I'd learned in Kenpo. And jumping. Jumping, turning and kicking at the same time. My teacher said, 'pick up this knee while turning, then jump up with the other leg and do an inside crescent kick and land facing the same way you started.'

:erg: You want me to do WHAT??? :lol:

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The physical and fitness side of it was really difficult. My body went into shock after not being that active for about 17 years and really rebelled. I think after the first week I could'nt walk for a week after that. Also getting the co-ordination right, which even now I still have problems with!!

The first 6 months though was the most rewarding. I felt like I had acheived something which I felt was most worthwhile.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The hardest part for me was being part of a group activity. I was usually in activities where my only concern was me, such as gymnastics and diving.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For me the hardest thing (things) was just learning the simple basics. The MAs appear so easy to perform, but for most rookie martial artists even the easy techniques are difficult at the beginning, and even just the thought of doing a smooth, powerful 360 roundhouse was completely out of my realm back then. Almost bad enough to make me want to make in my dobok pants :uhohh:

:wink1:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The physical fitness part was extremely difficult. I, like Raewyn, was inactive for many years and my body hurt like, well you know ;) for a few weeks. The other thing I found tough was getting over my own self conciousness of doing techniques in front of others, I always felt like such a dork :)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The working out in the 105-110 degree heat. Super-intense training in brutal conditions. I thought I was in good condition until I started the MA's.

O

OC Kid

Fighting was the easiest, forms for me were the hardest thing for me to learn and understand..

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hardest part for me was being thrown in the deep end when it came to sparring. We had no idea of control and very little techniques so sparring was very scary. I hated hitting people.

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hardest part for me...finding a partner to practice with, it is the same today though, so it is still very hard...

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The hardest thing was enduring the shame I felt from being too fat for any uniform or sash. Kung fu used to be so embarrasing for me I don't know how I kept at it.

tshadowchaser said:
When you started the martial arts, what was the hardest thing for you about the art you decided on, in the first few months of practice.

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not being able to walk or sit comfortably for weeks. My first week in TKD was my legs' worst pain. Actually, scratch that....Getting kicked in the shin by a 3rd degree was the worst pain ever......But anyway, feeling my legs in pain and feeling like a complete idiot when everyone else knew what they where doing and I didn't (which I'm sure happens to all newbies) was the hardest thing to get over.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Hahaha... Many things! For a big out of shape guy as I was when I started, things like rolling, ukemi, even moving properly was extremely difficult. I had many bruises, burns on the elbows and knees, and was even KO for a few seconds once, but I persevered through it. I am much better now, but as always there are limits that must be overcome (either physically and/or mentally). Even now there are many aspects of training that are very difficult and I suspect they will always be, but it is all relative.