What's your problem with USA Taekwondo?

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I wondering what is the problem with USAT? I know with some its the sport side, but there has to be more........ Lets hear it! I haven't been involved with them for long but I guess I just don't understand.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well for one thing they play favorites with the athletes, the next thing is certain schools and instructors get better treatment than others and then there is the whole I am mightier than GOD attitude they seem to have. With that being said they are the only game in town for any so called athlete to make the Olympics in TKD so one must play the game and then lets not even talk about there supposed Grass Root program. If you ahve money you are good to go with them if not they do not need you. It is never the best athlete but the one that can afford the cost of there stuff. I have been with them and AAU forever it seems and I am atmy wits end with USAT and them trying to make everything perfect for them and not the athlete or coaches. Besaide coaches clinics and fee's are just to much if you are a small school owner, they nickel and dime you to death.

I hope I did not come across angry, when USAT took it over from USTU alot of people records and such disappear, how si that and still to this day alot of it have never been resolved. I guess they only want certain people and I only want a high level up standing organization that thinks more about the art and players instead of there pocket book.

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
but wasn't there alot of problems with the USTU also? I took a couple of seminars, I didn't find them over prices.... But then again compaired to what.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes USTU was as crooked as you could have gotten, the problem with the USAT is the fact that some of the same people are around that you could not trust before. Like I said they are the only game for the Olympics so one must play if they have to and have a student that wants to see if they can make it, other wise I stay independent and pick and choose what tournaments I will do.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with USAT, other than how hard I had to fight for a lousy shirt a few years ago. I think that they put on the biggest and best events in the country.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with USAT, other than how hard I had to fight for a lousy shirt a few years ago. I think that they put on the biggest and best events in the country.

Not really AAU has had more at ther National events the past two years. I am with USAT because they are the only game for the Olympic athlete.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with USAT, other than how hard I had to fight for a lousy shirt a few years ago. .
I am glad to see I was not the only one who could not get a shirt.At least you finally got yours. I took the level 1 seminar the first year it came out. Spent $500 for the seminar that tried to conform me to teach thier way. (some was useful) Herb Taught the seminar and didnt bring shirts. Told me he would mail them. I still want my AC and LEVEL 1 Shirt HERB. WHERE IS IT?

I was told to pick it up at Juniors that year in Atlanta. When we showed up the lady (not sure who) acted like we were scamming for another shirt then suddenly didnt have any more left. only enough for those who took it there. You would think that after paying $500 i could get a shirt and the DVDs they said we would get. Thank you GOLD METAL whatever run by Herb.

Anyway..... thats my rant still.... almost 5 years later!

As for USAT, so far its what you could expect from an Org. of course you will have favorites. where dont you. And it's who you know just like most things in life. Sure it's not fair. I do not think there are men in black suits behind closed doors in smokey rooms making decisions on every match and contest. I do think we as a group ( USAT members and Refs) need to be more impartial and let the athletes decide who won by scoring fairly. But that is not USAT doing it, its some of the members.

Having said that, the whole round robin everyone fights to compete for a spot on the team except the previous winner (S.LOPEZ) who sits back and fights whats left after they have competed all day WAS CRAP. Not taking from what he has achieved, congrats by the way if you are readng, but only the best fighters should represent us and no one should have an unfair advantage. Do I think USAT made the lopez family into their poster children.... Yes. But thats old and over and no need to speak more on it....

I like USAT. Not as corrupt as USTU but still flawed in its own way. Worth $35 if you compete just to compete. SAMS cost more for a membership to shop!!!!! Club reg is so so. I have a close friend who uses them for KKW dan Cert. but recently she is having a problem with them returning calls and emails... she asked me to help. I'm having my own issues with them about my test in Vegas. Who is in the DAN department now?

BUT Mr. Askinas has answered EVERY email I have sent within 10-15 minutes of being sent during the day. Even if he didn't have an answer, he still took the time to reply and let me know. Sang Lee never did that. So that gets my respect.

well enough for now. I have been quiet long enough and have plenty to say.... just cant do it all here... now.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Next time you e-mail him, ask him for your shirt. He is the one that finally got me mine. It took til November 06 (nearly 6 months after taking the L1) before I finally got under his skin enough for him to send it to me.

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I use to smoke. About a pack a day...... I stopped. I still like the smell of it, mostly in the morning. The smell bring back memories. Now I complain to and about people who smoke. It a bad habit. No one should ever start.

Latest Discussions