What's your favourite range? And why?

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Primarily I feel most comfortable in strike range. I have a natural advantage (7ft wing span) and long legs, so I often have a reach advantage.

Secondarily the clinch range, but that is largely because a large portion of my experience is judo and SanDa ruleset, but it's not as much as an advantage for me having long limbs, as my hips are relatively high proportionally to most.

Blitz

White Belt
Reaction score
depends if it`s sparring or self defense. if im sparring i like the kickboxing range. so i can use my low line kicks and everything is available to me, can use the low line kicks to gain entry into trapping range and set up a hia, or from kickboxing range can use pretty much any other of the 5 ways of attack. if its self defense i want to be in clinch range for most of the same reasons the other guys have stated. would the clinch be considered an extension of trapping? or since its stand up grappling would it be a part of grappling? im curious what you guys think.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
would the clinch be considered an extension of trapping? or since its stand up grappling would it be a part of grappling? im curious what you guys think.
trapping (sticky) + grabbing (hook) = clinch.

stand up grappling (grip fight + lock + throw) = wrestling

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the reality of fighting having a favorite anything can be dangerous.
Not necessarily. Its good to have favorite techniques. Lets say your favorite kick is the front kick and your favorite hand strike is the reverse punch, focusing on those two techniques as your favorite techniques is much more effective than trying to focus on 100 techniques.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Its good to have favorite techniques. Lets say your favorite kick is the front kick and your favorite hand strike is the reverse punch, focusing on those two techniques as your favorite techniques is much more effective than trying to focus on 100 techniques.
Let's say I don't have a favorite kick or a favorite hand strike. I don't rely on a favorite. I do have a few actions that I am more proficient with or at least am able to apply more often but it isn't because I have a greater liking for them. It's more that the opportunity for them to be use come about more often.

Dude, he wasn't talking about oven ranges.
LOL!!! But Dude that is my favorite range...at least for the time being.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Usually a favor technique is the one that worked for you more often in the ring, or on the mat.
Usually a favorite is what one regards with special liking.
Many work what they like more than what they don't.
I actually tend to work those actions I have difficult with more than the one's I like.

evan.fedora

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To have your opponent's head on your chest can be the best fighting distance. If you can bend his spine side way, you can take him down with very less effort.

Chang_head_lock.jpg

True!

Latest Discussions