What would you guys recommend next?

L

Limeydog

Hi Everyone,

This is a question to my Toshindo family...

My parents (who live in the UK) are sending me money over for Christmas. Now I have already purchased the 12 DVD HSP along with the Kukishinden Sword DVD and the Togkure Kihon DVD's.

I plan on getting the Kuishinden Bo DVD and the Shuriken DVD...What would you guys recommend I purchase next? I can probably get another 12-15 DVD's. Any idea?

i was thinking of going for the monthly lesson DVD's? Look forward to hearing from you guys

Later
Patrick

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Limeydog said:
Hi Everyone,

This is a question to my Toshindo family...

My parents (who live in the UK) are sending me money over for Christmas. Now I have already purchased the 12 DVD HSP along with the Kukishinden Sword DVD and the Togkure Kihon DVD's.

I plan on getting the Kuishinden Bo DVD and the Shuriken DVD...What would you guys recommend I purchase next? I can probably get another 12-15 DVD's. Any idea?

i was thinking of going for the monthly lesson DVD's? Look forward to hearing from you guys

Later
Patrick
Monthly lessons are good. They cover bits of a larger picture. A few specific kata with An-Shu. Try not getting so much material and not be able to train with all of it.

OP
A

AnimEdge

i would take that money and like find a dojo by you

OP
L

Limeydog

I have spent 25 years training in dojos. Sadly the budo taijutsu dojos by me aren't that good. I was spoilt as a student having the honor to train with Shidoshi Bill Atkins. Hence training by video with An Shu Stephen Hayes.

What if the dojo's near me are mediocre? Then what?

Also the basics found in the Togukure Kihon DVD are identical to the Budo Taijutsu (Kihon Happo, Sanshin no Kata) so after a week I would be able to test...I think? Depending on the criteria of An Shu Hayes of course.

Sorry to sound rude guys just getting tired of people telling me how bad HSP are. What happens if there is no other way to study than HSP? is it better not to train at all?

Thanks
Patrick

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Patrick, I think you hit the nail on the head. For some, the nearest dojos are completely mediocre. For others, they don't even have "mediocre" nearby (my case). So I would rather train HSP and receive ranking in great stuff than not at all or mediocre.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Limeydog said:
Sorry to sound rude guys just getting tired of people telling me how bad HSP are. What happens if there is no other way to study than HSP? is it better not to train at all?

Thanks
Patrick
sadley some will say yes. i always refer back to music. there are courses that teach you how to learn the piano. now piano imo is harder to learn than martial arts. some will say that video courses will not teach you like a regular piano teacher could. i have to disagree being a piano teacher and all. yes the piano teacher can give you homework and tell you what to do... if you need that i guess its okay... but, if you really want to learn than you will find ways to get better.

you can learn both ways just as good. "a video will give you bad habits you will never be able to break". this to me is just silly. i.e. if someone is writing a word wrong and is corrected then they correct it and keep writing. true if no one corrects them they will continue to spell the word incorrectly.

same with anything. the moment you get your test results back then they should be able to point out potential problems with your budo and you fix it and move on. "no training is better than video". this kind of attitude sucks. if you are disciplined enough to study by video and actually want to learn... than i think you should go far in your budo. a teacher can point out where you are messing up if it in person or through video... well a good teacher anyway.

peace

OP
L

Limeydog

Hi Guys,

I totally agree. We could argue that the HSP in Toshindo is the start of our training, our foundation so to speak. I like to think of it as we are serving our apprentership through video testing. When we are ready we will be able to train in person. Until then we have to do our best with what we have, adapt to the situation (isn't that the essence of ninjutsu anyways?). We all have to start somewhere...

I would rather spend 1 year doing a fantastic HSP, than spend 5 years at a not so good school learning mediocre techniques. If you want the real deal you have to go directly to the source of knowledge. THere are no schools in our area or it is difficult with our jobs to get to those dojo's. THerefore the HSP is ideal for us.

I am sure that An Shu Hayes has firewalls to protect the individual during their training. I think if you get a Black Belt in Toshindo, it will be the real deal...sadly I also purchased the RVD Black belt home study programme a long time ago...in my opinion the taijutsu wasn't that good. I guess you get what you pay for.

Regards
Patrick

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Limeydog said:
Hi Guys,

I also purchased the RVD Black belt home study programme a long time ago...in my opinion the taijutsu wasn't that good. I guess you get what you pay for.

Regards
Patrick
really can you enlighten me/us on the differences? maybe start a new thread. that would be cool.

peace

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Man, I wish I was getting my To-Shin Do belts as fast as I am getting my MT belts!!! LOL.:flame:

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i remember that is exactly what i said... after awhile you just stop counting! ;)

peace

OP
L

Limeydog

RVD course. Let me start by saying "To each his own". So everything I say is just my personal view. I thought the Taijutsu was terrible, their body dynamics was way off. I also think that some of the things they were teaching will get someone killed, especially the knife fighting techniques. I just didn't believe that RVD felt completely comfortable with what he was teaching. After seeing the TSD/Quest DVD's the RVD programme smacks of amateurism...

By body dynamic/mechanics I mean balance points throughout the movement. Made me question the ranking structure of the Booj. I am very happy to have the chance to study with An Shu Hayes in whatever form I can

Later
Patrick

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have only heard comments regarding the RVD Home study format. It is taught with the same ranking / teaching structure of the Bujinkan from what I know, or at least that's what's on his site. All the Kyu's and materials are pretty much set. RVD's stuff is Bujinkan organization. RVD is ranking outrageously high (80th dan or something) so I don't see how it could be off. Most MA styles pretty much go to 10th dan. Buj. is one of the only ones that go beyond that. I don't understand how RVD's training course could be that bad.

OP
V

Vadim

Just a curious question. You guys that are studying by way of home study how often do you train. Is it everyday or do you stick to a specific training regiment.

I think that the home study option is a great way of learning a martial art if there aren't any quality dojos nearby in the particular style that you choose to study. I am currently dabbling a little bit with some Systema tapes, but am contemplating purchasing the To shin do series. Thanks for your help.

-Vadim

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Vadim said:
Just a curious question. You guys that are studying by way of home study how often do you train. Is it everyday or do you stick to a specific training regiment.

I think that the home study option is a great way of learning a martial art if there aren't any quality dojos nearby in the particular style that you choose to study. I am currently dabbling a little bit with some Systema tapes, but am contemplating purchasing the To shin do series. Thanks for your help.

-Vadim
I study every day in my livingroom or in my back yard. It is nice to take my mind off everything else and just practice. I even get my gi on and everything!!! LOL.

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Take a look at the To-Shin Do stuff. I'm confident you'll be impressed. For those who are already involved in To-Shin Do, you may consider getting on the Quest-L email list. Lots of good interaction there. They have a list forming of To-Shin Do training groups around the U.S. Visit www.Quest-L.com

OP
L

Limeydog

I try and train at the same time every morning. That way I am relaxed before going to work. I usually train for around 90 minutes working on basic (Kihon happo/Sanshin no kata, etc). Lots of Junan Taiso (stretching and flexibilty work, especially in the hips and lower back). At the moment I am concentrating on creating a foundation for me to build my taijutsu skills upon.

Start slowly and gradually increase the time. When I first started I began with 30 mnutes, each week I would add 5 minutes. It takes 2 weeks to create a habit...

Later
Patrick.
PS. I also recommend you check out the SKHQuest video/dvd series they are very, very good. Extremely professional and well put together. Alot of information to go through.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Vadim said:

-Vadim
train daily and defenilty suit up in full garb/gi. this will make it feel that you are actually in training mode. it makes you accountable to yourself... almost like saying... "if i suited up... i'm going to train hard". the to shin do stuff is good. it makes you feel like you are in his class... i mostly prefer the rtms stuff because its a one on one lesson.
i train as often as possible. that is what is great about doing hsp/hsc... you can train at 3a.m. if you are strapped for time during the day.
peace

OP
V

Vadim

Thanks for your replies guys. I like the ability to train whenever I can and I feel that purchasing a quality home study program will allow me to study a martial art that I do not have near me.

-Vadim

OP
L

Limeydog

Hey Vadim,

No problem, after all we are all in the same boat...

Later

Patrick

Latest Discussions