What the Hell is THAT?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A friend sent me this link... wanted me to see what I thought of it. At first I could only think it was an actual Graboid from the movie Tremors... but closer inspection of the photos and seeing it's proximity to the beaches leads me to speculate that it is a variety of toothed whale otherwise known as a beaked whale. Exactly which species it is I don't know. But it's rotted carcass (probably beached itself) makes you think it's a monster from a nightmare. Pretty cool.
The site http://antonborisov.livejournal.com/8824.html is in Russian but the photos speaks a thousand words. This is two of them.
What do you think it is?

Attachments

• $monster8.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 141
  • $monster10.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 142

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never thought I'd run into my former mother in law on MT!!

Seriously, that is a very weird looking thing. I hope you guess of a beaked whale is right.

Jeff

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have ideal what it is but I go with you Ma-caver
Terry

PS jeff you had a nice mother in law compared to mine.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff you mother is law is pretty gruesome!
icon10.gif

Plus your in trouble if she ever sees this thread.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, I thought maybe a teradactal. One of the winged dinosaurs. Who knows. It will most likely get figured out though

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I thought most beaked whales only had one pair of teeth, typically protruding beyond the mouth, this one has lots of small ones arranged around the lower jaw.

The silly things you learn in marine mammology 201.

Lamont

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Blindside said:
I thought most beaked whales only had one pair of teeth, typically protruding beyond the mouth, this one has lots of small ones arranged around the lower jaw.

The silly things you learn in marine mammology 201.

Lamont
The sperm whale has one set of teeth along the length of it's lower jaw but not protruding. Pictures of (closed mouthed) Sperm Whales will show this... or NOT show the teeth... whatever! Other toothed whales have two sets of teeth on the upper and lower jaws. Orcas, and Pilot whales exhibit this feature as well as narwhals and belugas and others. But there is a very little known species of large tooth whales. One is known as a Brydes toothed whale. I've been trying google for pictures of these animals so to post it here as a comparison.
So far no luck.

EDIT: Well, this is a drawing of a Killer Whale's skull, found at the National Marine Mammal Lab http://nmml.afsc.noaa.gov/gallery/illustrations/killer%20whale%20skull%20page.htm ... due to the covering of the skin (or whatever it is) it's difficult to make out the full skull of the "monster" but the skull is the closest comparison I've seen so far. Orcas are not small mammals like Dolphins. Those who been to SeaWorld should know what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• $killer whale skull picture.jpg
    $killer whale skull picture.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 122

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
EDIT: Well, this is a drawing of a Killer Whale's skull, found at the National Marine Mammal Lab http://nmml.afsc.noaa.gov/gallery/illustrations/killer%20whale%20skull%20page.htm ... due to the covering of the skin (or whatever it is) it's difficult to make out the full skull of the "monster" but the skull is the closest comparison I've seen so far. Orcas are not small mammals like Dolphins. Those who been to SeaWorld should know what I'm talking about.
I was thinking the Pygmy Killer Whale, as it's size looked like it could match. However, I couldn't find any good pics of one. Evidently, they are somewhat rare, according to some websites.

Latest Discussions