What style of karate do you train

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I studied Shaolin Kempo for 20 years and now I study BJJ, Kickboxing and a whole lot of other styles with it...works much better

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For the past 30 years been a student of Sanchin-ryu Okinawan Karate.

Okinawan? Who is the okinawan headmaster of Sanchin ryu? I have nothing against modern karate styles, be they japanese, okinawan or (for all I care) finnish, but from what I've read about Sanchin ryu, I wouldn't call it okinawan if it hasn't ever been practised in Okinawa. It may be based on okinawan karate, but that doesn't make it okinawan karate. The style I'm practising is also based on okinawan karate (Chotoku Kyan -> Zenryo Shimabukuro -> Isamu Tamotsu -> Motomu Ikubo -> Yuji Matsuoi), but since the art was founded in Finland we can hardly call it okinawan, now can we?

Sorry to be nitpicking, but that's just how I see things :)

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I gather it is a mixture of Goju ryu and Uechi ryu karate. It is Okinawan in its origins, but not created by an Okinawan. Then again Shuri ryu karate is called Okinawan, but created by GM Robert Trias from bits and pieces of other styles. It is not found or taught on Okinawa.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My background through childhood and highschool is judo and TKD with a couple of years wing chun on the side. For the last 5 years however I have been training in Goju Ryu and consider this now as my core system along with jutisu - my previous club was goju but had senior jujitsu practitioners so after strike training we spent much time on grappling/locks.

Back in the day I got to balck tip in TKD but do not see myself at al as a TKD fghter now. I'm a green belt in goju having missed far too many gradings (I guess the real reason is that I never put much weight in the colour of a belt - having fought and beaten many dans but also through getting my own butt kicked by 'unschooled' fighters. Unless you're purely patterns/kata focused I find it's the time you spend in the ring or on the mat that adds up).

I have never graded with the jujitsu guys but find it flows on well from my younger judo days (I guess being judo's wel-spring that would make sense!).

My club was quite eclectic and was open to freestyle fighting and tournaments, training in submission and strike fighting and taking a lot of the stand up punching from boxing also.
Now I'm in the UK and have recovered from an injury I suffered in my last mma fight so have been training on my own and am now looking for a club in London. No luck so far - I'm impressed by the range of practitioners over here but am struggling to find a club that embraces sparring and fighting at a high level and particularly in mma style - as I at least would never adopt the attitude that any one way can suit all situations or defeat all opponents - be it in the ring or on the street/in a club.

By the way if any one has any suggestions re such a club around SE or central City London it would be much appreciated, I haven't been able to train for about 6 months and am itching to get back into it with others again.

Cheers

OneKickWonder

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am a blue belt in Combat American Freestyle Kenpo Karate, otherwise known as Ed Parker's Kenpo, but I have experience in TKD and Muay Thai also. There are many different versions of EPK as it was meant to evolve when he founded it. My instructor is also a police officer and teaches Ssgt which is the police officers form of self defense utilizing some joint locks and ground work along with some stand-up to put a suspect in positions they need them for cuffing and searching procedures.

We use this for cross training in class sometimes. He, along with some of us senior students, is working on restructuring the class curriculum the work some of the freestyle grappling in to the karate. I am enjoying being part of the birth of a new form. We are very open minded towards other arts. My instructor is also a dan in the old style Kenpo, and a green in TKD. We often spend discussion time in class on the importance of cross training.

JackShadow

White Belt
Reaction score
My style is Ko-Sutemi Seiei Kan. I'm currently at the Sho Dan (1st degree black) rank under the direction of 5th degree blackbelt Rnady Reffitt.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Where is your school? I trained with Soke Madden for many years. I know that name, but can't place the face. I probably have known him for years.

My style is Ko-Sutemi Seiei Kan. I'm currently at the Sho Dan (1st degree black) rank under the direction of 5th degree blackbelt Rnady Reffitt.

JackShadow

White Belt
Reaction score
Bah! It wont let me edit my post. I meant to say Randy Reffitt, but think you got who it was. My Dojo is in Hillsboro, we used to train in town, but now we've struck up somethign with the local YMCA and we now do classes there.

Latest Discussions