What style of karate do you train

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know several Shotokai people. All good karate ka. They do not compete in tournaments. Their training is for the development of the Budo and the individual. I do think that they over do their stances a bit. just an my opinion.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Timo, you should contact Patrick McCarthy. He was a Shorinji ryu stylist. He could help you to develop and learn more Okinawan karate.

Kokusai Shorinji ryu, an off-shoot of Shorinji ryu Renshinkan and currently shodan in it. Haven't really trained in other styles, although I am interested in Okinawan styles. Unfortunately there aren't many to choose from here (only Seibukan and even that isn't available everywhere)

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Timo, you should contact Patrick McCarthy. He was a Shorinji ryu stylist. He could help you to develop and learn more Okinawan karate.

Shorinji, yes, but a different branch of Shorinji. Our Shorinji is in the Kyan lineage (Kyan -> Zenpo Shimabukuro -> Isamu Tamotsu -> Motomu Ikubo -> Yuji Matsuoi). Anyway, I might go to one of his camps just to see for myself, because I have heard a lot of conflicting stuff about him. Some say he is the best there is, others barely tolerate him. There are some Koryu Uchinadi groups here and in fact one of my teachers ex-students actually studied directly with Patrick McCarthy

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
He studied shorinji ryu with Richard Kim and then Joen Nagazato directly on Okinawa. He has now went away from that. Hiroshi Kinjo and Richard Kim were friends and classmates. I have heard both as well. But, I have heard that if you can get around the ego his wealth of knowledge is extensive.

meta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering what style of karate some people train in. Are there any ashihara, kyokushin, seido karatekas here?

I train in kyokushin. Unfortunately, there seem to be very few kyokushin practitioners among MT members.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Shaolin Kempo Karate, founded by Grandmaster Fred Villari as taught at United Studios of Self Defence which is run by a former Villari student Prof. Charles Mattera

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I found the Kyokushinkai style fascinating. But, There is no one that is even close to me that taught Kyokushinkai. Sosai Mas Oyama was a very interesting man. I have several of his books.

I train in kyokushin. Unfortunately, there seem to be very few kyokushin practitioners among MT members.

meta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I found the Kyokushinkai style fascinating. But, There is no one that is even close to me that taught Kyokushinkai. Sosai Mas Oyama was a very interesting man. I have several of his books.

Thank you, twendkata71, for your post. Oyama Sosai was truly an outstanding person (though not ideal by any means, which seems to bother some of his critics :) ).

I find it interesting that Kyokushin is so popular in post-Soviet states, particularly in Russia. My impression is that it does not enjoy widespread popularity in the U.S. Is that right? And, if so, what do you think is the reason?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't train in it, but I have fought some Kyokushin Karate-ka. They always do well in knockdown and seem to be very good martial artists. One of my instructors and I have modified Oyama's 100 man fight to test our BB candidates.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends where you are here in the US. There are many Kyokushinkai schools and/or offshoot schools(Enshin,Ashihara,Seido,World Oyama,etc.) After Sosai Oyama passed away most of the groups here in the US split up and started their own groups or styles. There are still some organizations that are true to the Kyokushinkai style. The Buck family runs one of the largest Kyokushinkai organizations in the US.
In my opinion karate is karate, there are good karateka and not so good karate ka. Karate is what you make it. "Man makes the art, the art does not make the man." All karate has value, all styles have strengths and weaknesses.

Thank you, twendkata71, for your post. Oyama Sosai was truly an outstanding person (though not ideal by any means, which seems to bother some of his critics :) ).

I find it interesting that Kyokushin is so popular in post-Soviet states, particularly in Russia. My impression is that it does not enjoy widespread popularity in the U.S. Is that right? And, if so, what do you think is the reason?

Nemesis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know several Shotokai people. All good karate ka. They do not compete in tournaments. Their training is for the development of the Budo and the individual. I do think that they over do their stances a bit. just an my opinion.

I don't know how it is in the rest of the world but in Portugal we do compete in tournaments with other styles and, if I may say so myself, my school was one of the best out there. The tournaments were divided in katas and kumite (point fighting not full contack like kyokushin) but we mostly did kumite.

Since we competed a lot our stances weren't as low as in other schools, just a couple of steps in length.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some Shotokai do, but many do not compete. Depending on the association. Most of the Shotokai people that I do know do not compete. There are schools here that call themselves Shotokai, but look more like mainstream Shotokan.
To each their own.

Nemesis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Some Shotokai do, but many do not compete. Depending on the association. Most of the Shotokai people that I do know do not compete. There are schools here that call themselves Shotokai, but look more like mainstream Shotokan.
To each their own.

Now that I think about it there was an association that I came in contact with called Murakami-kai, they were very technical with extremely low stances (for example in zenkutsu-dashi the front leg was supposed to be paralel to the ground). They didn't compete and they actually looked down to the schools that did. I have to say that they didn't impressed me at all.

meta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion karate is karate, there are good karateka and not so good karate ka. Karate is what you make it. "Man makes the art, the art does not make the man." All karate has value, all styles have strengths and weaknesses.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I think it's great that we have so many different styles of karate. This way each person can find what suits him or her best. :)

Ken

White Belt
Reaction score
I first studied Wado-ryu many years ago, then Mushindo-ryu, and then Goju-ryu. For the past 30 years been a student of Sanchin-ryu Okinawan Karate.
www.sanchinryukarate.co.uk

Latest Discussions