What makes people believe absurd conspiracy theories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I heard about that, but didn't know he was a flat Earther. I thought he was just someone who didn't realize how much math is required to get into space.

Just read up on him.
Dude was nuts. He was trying to get into space in a steam powered rocket? Man he was totally unprepared. In space with steam?
I'm just thinking of the type of friends I would have to have that would support me in something like that. Seems more like something your enemy would encourage you to do lol.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL. Sort of. It's not that I'm not interested. I mean, it's fun sometimes to watch Ancient Aliens and hear about what the Ancient Alien Theorists are proposing.

If someone believes that aliens are the reason we have jet planes, you really don't owe them a counter argument. It's just not needed.
im pretty sure no one has ever said that

you said you dont want to know if its wacky or not, you just want them to have mental health help so they stop believing some thing you dont belive,

a significantly high % of scientist belive in the existance of aliens, hell they are spending billions trying to find the bugfers

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a member of a government, no. As a mental health counselor (ex-now), not unless there was significant evidence that it was contributing to a negative mental health state (that never came up while I was counseling, the only ways I could see it coming up are if someone was clearly in a cult, or they believed the religion was telling them to go out and kill people/themselves or something similar). And I'd be focusing purely on the positives/negatives they get from the religion, rather than the religion itself, if I were to address that at all. In my state trying to dissuade someone from a religion (or persuade someone to a religion) for theological reasons is a good way to lose your license. As someone discussing those things with friends, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be ethical/legal.
well exactly , yet as far a delusions go a belief in a deity is right up there with flat earth
.in fact most of the serious exponents of flat earth do so on religious grounds, that is it being the best fit to genesis, it doesnt actually say that but its hard to reconsile a globe going round the sun with the world of god, so flat earth and floods and pet dinosaurs .

if you took the religious crack pots of of the conspiracy comnunities there wouldnt be to many left .

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
well exactly , yet as far a delusions go a belief in a deity is right up there with flat earth
.in fact most of the serious exponents of flat earth do so on religious grounds, that is it being the best fit to genesis, it doesnt actually say that but its hard to reconsile a globe going round the sun with the world of god, so flat earth and floods and pet dinosaurs .

if you took the religious crack pots of of the conspiracy comnunities there wouldnt be to many left .
Except I haven't made the argument that any of it should be dealt with. I stated what would be effective for it, and if you notice each of the examples I gave were related in some way to negative mental health.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As a member of a government, no. As a mental health counselor (ex-now), not unless there was significant evidence that it was contributing to a negative mental health state (that never came up while I was counseling, the only ways I could see it coming up are if someone was clearly in a cult, or they believed the religion was telling them to go out and kill people/themselves or something similar). And I'd be focusing purely on the positives/negatives they get from the religion, rather than the religion itself, if I were to address that at all. In my state trying to dissuade someone from a religion (or persuade someone to a religion) for theological reasons is a good way to lose your license. As someone discussing those things with friends, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be ethical/legal.
Positives and negatives is a key to this. I don't have a problem with crackpot ideas. Like I said, I actually enjoy watching ancient aliens (though I don't believe it).

I think it's really only an issue when the conspiracy leads to either harm to the individual or harm to others. Religion, for better or worse, is a red herring because it's a protected base. Simply put, any discussion about it is moot because the way it's handled (crackpot or not) is protected.

But generally, if someone believes in Sasquatch, no worries. Big deal. If someone believes you are Sasquatch and wants to capture and dissect you in the name of science ... Well maybe it's time for an intervention.

QAnon, as a relevant current example, is a delusion that is dangerous and so warrants some intervention.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except I haven't made the argument that any of it should be dealt with. I stated what would be effective for it, and if you notice each of the examples I gave were related in some way to negative mental health.
so a belief insupernatural beings isnt a negative, it majes me wonder what level of delusion you need for it to be come a negative

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Positives and negatives is a key to this. I don't have a problem with crackpot ideas. Like I said, I actually enjoy watching ancient aliens (though I don't believe it).

I think it's really only an issue when the conspiracy leads to either harm to the individual or harm to others. Religion, for better or worse, is a red herring because it's a protected base. Simply put, any discussion about it is moot because the way it's handled (crackpot or not) is protected.

But generally, if someone believes in Sasquatch, no worries. Big deal. If someone believes you are Sasquatch and wants to capture and dissect you in the name of science ... Well maybe it's time for an intervention.

QAnon, as a relevant current example, is a delusion that is dangerous and so warrants some intervention.
most conspiracies are protected under the right of free exspresion, but you want them to have help for mental health issues

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
most conspiracies are protected under the right of free exspresion, but you want them to have help for mental health issues
What are you talking about? I'm not suggesting we arrest people for conspiracy theories though we saw on January 6 that believing in them can lead to actions that may get you arrested.

Right to free expression. Lol.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My flat earth thoughts
He needed a wing suit
But the shape of the body he lands on would not matter as long as it is underneath him.
If you really want to get into the math read about how difficult it was for them to line that jump up and the variables they had to take into account. More precision involved than you may think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions