What is Vale Tudo

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Vale tudo is Portugese for "anything goes." Think of it as the predecessor to modern mixed martial arts, but with many less rules.

Lamont

Boomer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Excellent definition, Blindside.
There was a kind of gentleman's agreement in the vale tudo matches, that "I won't if you won't" towards biting, eye gouges, and groin shots. But they were never characterized as illegal techniques, just dirty ones. This was more like "mixed martial arts" than anything. What is defined today as MMA, I prefer to call "mixed martial sport".

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Vale tudo is Portugese for "anything goes." Think of it as the predecessor to modern mixed martial arts, but with many less rules.

Lamont

Thanks too..I have head SO MANY definitions of Vale Tudo...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Lamont

Excellent definition, Blindside.
There was a kind of gentleman's agreement in the vale tudo matches, that "I won't if you won't" towards biting, eye gouges, and groin shots. But they were never characterized as illegal techniques, just dirty ones. This was more like "mixed martial arts" than anything. What is defined today as MMA, I prefer to call "mixed martial sport".

Very well defined and explained by both Blindside and Boomer!
icon6.gif

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Vale Tudo was also the name of the Show these fights were shown on.

It was still MMA they were doing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vale Tudo was also the name of the Show these fights were shown on.

It was still MMA they were doing.

Odin is correct, it's a type of competition not a style. They fight MMa with rules that are agreed at the time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some like to say they fight Vale Tudo because it sounds more macho, most fighters say they do MMA but people who don't and like to pretend tell people they are cage fighters lol!

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think some like to say they fight Vale Tudo because it sounds more macho, most fighters say they do MMA but people who don't and like to pretend tell people they are cage fighters lol!

LOL so true!!!! hahahahah

I know a guy who has been down to London shootfighters twice and i have heard him in bars telling people he is a cage fighter.

Latest Discussions