What is most important to everyone

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First we join the MA and want to learn a few moves to help protect ourself or we join because we need to get fit and we hate the gym.
Once we join when does it change from being something for fitness or Self Defense purpose to how many belts we can get and how fast we can get em?

So my question is when and where does it change for mist, what happened to the path of enlightment and turn to the path od a BB factory.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructors don't issue belt ranks so everyone has to focus on their training, their fitness, and their abilities.

Funny how that works...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructors don't issue belt ranks so everyone has to focus on their training, their fitness, and their abilities.

Funny how that works...

Can I come train with you? No belt no need to worry just train what a concept.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First we join the MA and want to learn a few moves to help protect ourself or we join because we need to get fit and we hate the gym.
Once we join when does it change from being something for fitness or Self Defense purpose to how many belts we can get and how fast we can get em?

So my question is when and where does it change for mist, what happened to the path of enlightment and turn to the path od a BB factory.

I joined to learn how to not "Break" people and also to reduce some stress from a court case I was involved with / in.

To me it is about the learning. I know others it is business (* There is nothing wrong for those that make it a business for this allows people to be introduced to the arts *) and they have their programs and large studnet classes and hopefully over time they get those few students who just want to train and learn and do it because it is a passion for them.

I also enjoy having no rank.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rank isn't really the issue at all, in most cases we're dragged kicking and screaming into testing after months-to-years of putting it off (truthfully, though, rank advancement in and of itself was an important objective during my first few years). For me, practicing MA is simply a part of what I have become. (Some) Folks at work know me as the engineer who does karate, folks around town know me as my boys' Dad and one of the instructors at the karate school. I guess it is part of what defines me.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have never really been interested in rank. Sure it is always nice to have someone recognize you. Everyone enjoys that.
icon6.gif
However, I started out wanting to be physically effective and that has always been my goal.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I've found with many of my students is that the belt pursuit is the first step on a path that brings you to training just to train. Like many artificially set goals and limits, it serves as a framework for the more goal-oriented among us.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can I come train with you? No belt no need to worry just train what a concept.

It would be an honor to share the mat with you Terry :asian:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never really been interested in rank. Sure it is always nice to have someone recognize you. Everyone enjoys that.
icon6.gif
However, I started out wanting to be physically effective and that has always been my goal.

Rank isn't really the issue at all, in most cases we're dragged kicking and screaming into testing after months-to-years of putting it off (truthfully, though, rank advancement in and of itself was an important objective during my first few years). For me, practicing MA is simply a part of what I have become. (Some) Folks at work know me as the engineer who does karate, folks around town know me as my boys' Dad and one of the instructors at the karate school. I guess it is part of what defines me.

Rank is, within a style and/or organization, an indicator of knowledge. I never sought to attain rank - I sought to learn. Rank is just something came along with increasing knowledge.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At first, I just figured it would be cool to learn how to use a sword. And it still is cool. But for me now, it's more about honouring my ancestors and history, while learning to be an effective fighter. The Kunst des Fechtens is what prevailed on battlefields and in duels and back alleys in medieval Germany. It could be that my very ancestors learned the same techniques that I'm learning, and it could be that I'm alive because one of my ancestors used that very Art to defend himself. Because of that, I take my training seriously and personally, no matter how ridiculously fun this all is. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
my school has a belt system but it takes about 5 or more years to get to BB. There are some that only care about the rank and dont take the time to learn what the MA's are really about. I am the oposite, Im only a purple belt (close to blue and I wont lie that will be exciting) but if I were to stay at purple for a year thats fine as long as I get everything I have be taught and I understand the concept behind it because I want to through take in everything and deserve my next rank rightfully

B

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train to have fun. Same reason people go play basketball or tennis.

I give the kids belts, but anyone over 13 doesn't wear or recieve any rank. Much prefer it that way.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I must admit, when I was young and stupid, rank meant something to me. I wanted to move up the ranks as fast as possible. I was just doing what I was told, not investigating anything. I could do the tecniques and forms, and do them well. But throw me a curve and I was done.

Now I take my time. I investigate every technique and movement. I want to see what works and doesn't in any given situation. I want to learn from the forms. How many applications can I get from each movement within the form. Only thought now, with respect to rank, is to be good enough within the rank to honor my teacher and his school.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I went from training at schools with no gradings or rank to training at a school that did have those things... i've come to the conclusion that gradings and rank need to be relevent to your own progress for them to be meaningful. The process of grading and awarding ranks needs to be both comphrehensive, rigorously applied and fair. Better to fail a tough grading than pass an easy one.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's important to me is that the training remains mentally stimulating. It's the reason I could never go to the gym - other types of exercise bore me to tears. Progressing through the techniques, I feel that I am gaining more insight on how the body works. It's like working a puzzle, and I love puzzles.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

I think the belts really helped me, they gave me a fixed curricullum and let me know what the minimum requirements were for each rank. Once I hit black I was fairly burnt out on chasing rank, I coasted for a bit and then just started looking for knowledge.

Since then I've entered a system that doesn't use belts or really have distinct marks for proficiency beyond "what can you do?" I love the system, think its great, but I don't know how the younger me would have done.

Lamont

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I must admit, when I was young and stupid, rank meant something to me. I wanted to move up the ranks as fast as possible. I was just doing what I was told, not investigating anything. I could do the tecniques and forms, and do them well. But throw me a curve and I was done.

Now I take my time. I investigate every technique and movement. I want to see what works and doesn't in any given situation. I want to learn from the forms. How many applications can I get from each movement within the form. Only thought now, with respect to rank, is to be good enough within the rank to honor my teacher and his school.

I was totally like that, also. I took the turn for the better, as you did. That last sentence rings so true in my ears (eyes LOL).

Latest Discussions