What is more important, when to move, or how to move?

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is a question that you guys might find interesting.

What do you think is more important, when to move, or how to move?

I have my own answer to this, I was just wondering what everybody else feels is more important.

My answer is, both. They are both very important. You can make strong an argument for both.

Example:

A. what good is knowing how to move if you don't know when. You still could get hit.

B. what good is knowing when to move if you don't know how. You could end up in an even worse position.

Regards,

L

lonekimono10

Well you already gave the answer, what else can we say:idunno:(LOL)

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
im going to say "when to move" is more important. i dont think how you move is all that important at all. ive seen hanshi juchnik shuffle away from someone like a 90 yr old man......nothing spectacular, but he was getting out of the way.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It sounds to me like "when to move" is merely a natural progression from "how to move". People start off their MA careers by learning proper stances, philosophy of motion, strikes, etc (i.e. "how to move"). After perfecting these techniques, and after sufficient practice during sparring, they pick up timing, which is the "when to move" aspect.

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
When to move - Start moving as soon as you feel uncomforatbe and then move to somewhere you do feel comfortable. That way you learn to trust your subconcious and will react to threats which you do not conciously see or percieve coming.

How to move - Move naturally and in a relaxed manner. Your movements must be such that they make you safe.

Paul Genge
http://www.russianmartialart.org.uk

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you don't know how to move. You won't know the when either. Training in the how allows you to see the other person starting to move. Plus you gotta be able to hit the other guy, in the street you are'nt allowed to simple walk away, where in a class setting walking away teachs an important concept it is not always practical!!

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
maybe a better answer is WHERE to move...

right out of the Karate Kid:
Daniel: Don't you know anything you can tell me?
Miyagi: Ha. No get hit.

pete

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or what to do when you get there....

I don't like the question. There is no "this is most important" and asking the question makes it sound like there is a answer. Different people fight differently, and as soon as one persons idea on what is important becomes a general rule things get goofy.

Spar lots, spar hards, don't restrict yourself to one set of rules. What you need to work on will become aparent very quickly.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can't do one without the other... no?

Like someone said... you answered your own question.

Hours, days, weeks, months and years of training should tell you the HOW, your mind and how fresh and quick you keep it, i.e. how fast your brain snyapsis fires and triggers your reaction time(s) will tell you the when.

All the more reason to train train train, and keep yourself healthy with diet, excercise and mental workouts along with relaxation techniques.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So anyway, if you know how to move but don't know when, you can know all the techniques in the world and still get hit in the head.

Same could be said about knowing when. You can know when, but don't know how; you can still get hit in the head.

This is why my answer was that they are both equally as important.

Btw, I was not looking for an answer; I was just wondering what everybody else thought was important, when or how.

Thanks for the responses so far.

This question is almost like,

What is more important, acting first or re-acting?

Example.

A. If you initiate the action first, you move first.

B. If you are reacting, you move second.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A. what good is knowing how to move if you don't know when. You still could get hit.

B. what good is knowing when to move if you don't know how. You could end up in an even worse position.

Looks like the dilema of what came first the chicken or the egg.

Knowing is in the teaching and learning.
When, hows, ifs, and whys, come after much experience.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say that, on average, the 'when' to move is more important than the 'how'. If you get the timing right, then you can be fairly flexible in what you do. A punch at the right time will work, whether it is a hook, a cross, or a straight, so long as it hits. But at the wrong time, not even the best maneuvere will do you any good, since they will be out of position with their guard up.

T

TonyM.

When. Even a novice might get a lucky shot in if they move first.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They are both important, you have to know when and how, if you know when, but dont know howchances are you are still going to get hit. Just because you move doesnt mean you wont take the shot, what if you move into the opponent. If you dont know when to move, well then the action stops at that point, you dont get to how, imo.

Latest Discussions